PDA

View Full Version : ($16) AK OOP on the bubble versus complete maniac

11t
12-20-2005, 06:40 PM
I butchered this hand. Villain's range is any 2, I didn't push preflop cus I didnt want him limp/calling me with 33 which I have seen him do before. He could easily have a jack in his hand or QT and play it the exact same way.

I have nightmares about hands like these as weird as it sounds.

Relevant stacks:
UTG 3445
Villain 5425
Hero 3650
BB 980

Blinds are 100/200 a25, Hero has AKos

UTG folds, Button calls, Hero raises 800 to 1000, BB folds, Button calls

Flop is J6J

Hero checks, Villain checks

Turn is K

Hero checks, Villain checks,

River is A

Hero bets 800, Villain pushes, Hero proceeds to vomit on keyboard and then fold.

Blech, I played this hand awful. All comments are appreciated.

gumpzilla
12-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Pushing PF kinda sucks, in my opinion, with 18 BBs left. So good job on that one. I'd probably raise somewhat less PF, since 700 is probably as likely to fold him as 1000 and I'd rather leave myself some more maneuvering room if I'm going to have to take a flop. EDIT: Another potentially attractive option is to limp behind and invite BB to come at you. This also has the nice benefit of keeping the pot small even if you don't get the BB to act up.

I think I'd probably bet the turn, and call a push if he came at me at that point. He hasn't shown much interest yet, and I'm pretty confident about my hand at this point.

If this guy is anywhere near as maniacal as you say, I hate the river fold. He could easily be making this play with an A, a K, even a 6, possibly. Bet-folding is probably my least favorite line on this river. If you're going to fold to a bet, check-fold. Or, better yet, check-call. As you got there, call the push.

durron597
12-20-2005, 07:34 PM
If you're going to fold to the river push, then check call a river bet. I would have called the push though, he has Ax way more often than he has a slowplayed J or QT.

RobGW
12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
What good is having a read that he's maniacal if you are not going to have the balls to use it. I mean you played it so passively it almost looks like you are trying to steal it on the end. He might be on a complete bluff as well as a lower A. You might as well just give him the win if you fold this river. If he's got the J or QT then so be it. Also, if you are going to play this scared just call PF.

12-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I am completely baffled by this fold with your read. You put him squarely on a jack? Why? Because he didn't bet the flop and turn and always, always does? I think this is a really easy call.

tewall
12-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I like a smaller raise PF, hoping the short stack will come over the top, and it's between you and him. On the flop I like a 1/2 pot cb. On the river you could check/call.

Also I'm curious if you've run scenarios through an ICM tool. It sounds like you're being too cautious. Yes, you want to take the small stack into consideration, but he's not THAT small. He could be around for quite awhile, and if you play totally passively, you'll bleed a lot of chips. If Villain is going to be aggressive and make loose calls, I think your best plan is to mix it up with him when you figure to have an edge. Sure he might tangle with you with a small pair, but he'd likely to do that with a smaller Ace as well, where you'd be a big favorite. I'm not talking about pushing all-in here, as the stack's are too large, but the overall philosophy seems too passive for the situation. If the short stack had 280 instead of 980, then yeah, wait him out, but at 5xBB, who knows how long he'll be around?