PDA

View Full Version : $60 - common situation, not sure what to do

12-20-2005, 03:55 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t3350)
MP (t1340)
CO (t3045)
Button (t815)
SB (t940)
BB (t4010)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t300.

Flop: (t975) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t300</font>

Hero?

No real reads other than villain seems solid.

bennies
12-20-2005, 03:58 PM
He is asking you if you have an overpair.

Well do ya? Do ya punk?

12-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Fold. Why play a big pot with the only guy at the table who can stack you and two overcards?

johnnybeef
12-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Probe bets are usually a sign of a marginal holding. I would expect him to have a flush draw, or maybe a hand like 66. How I act against this type of bet is usually dependent upon what type of player he is (i.e. does he call too much, is he a puss, is he tricky, etc.)

edit: after looking at stacks, i usually let this one go.

12-20-2005, 04:09 PM
So is it a question of raising or folding? And if a raise, how much?

Oh yeah, hero has played very tight and only shown down the nuts to this point.

gumpzilla
12-20-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So is it a question of raising or folding? And if a raise, how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to raise, make it 1300 to go or so. This will be enough to fold him if he's going to fold, most of the time, and still leaves you with ~1600 if you're wrong.

durron597
12-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Two random questions:

1) Have I played with you before?

2) What's this villian's username? (I ask this because most solid villians multitable and I see a lot of the same faces)

johnnybeef
12-20-2005, 04:14 PM
well, you have pos, so i would likely raise just under the pot if he was weak tight. but based on the stacks, there is no reason to get involved here.

12-20-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is actually a hand from my study partner, and I don't think I should just give out his username w/o asking. Hero is generally extremely tight, so villain could have that read. (Just FYI - I'm suzzer99 on Stars, usually play after work Pacific Time. Hero would have an aggro read on me if anything.)

[ QUOTE ]
2) What's this villian's username?

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy 2

xJMPx
12-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I know you don't want to tangle with another big stack, and I often play weak against them in the situation, but...

Here you have a guy that can afford to take shots at pots. He has just seen a ragged flop that is unlikely to have hit you and is only really worried about you having an overpair.

He actually has the advantage of acting first here with this flop, and there is a good chance he is just trying to exploit this.

I think I would re-raise here, if he calls/raises you are done with this hand unless the turn hits you. Even though he is the only guy that can stack you, he won't here because you missed this flop just like he probably did.

durron597
12-20-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is actually a hand from my study partner, and I don't think I should just give out his username w/o asking. (Just FYI - I'm suzzer99 on Stars, usually play after work Pacific Time.)

[ QUOTE ]
2) What's this villian's username?

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg haven't played with either of you. The reason why I asked is that I want to know if the Villian is the type of person who is capable of bet/folding. I do it all the time (probably gets me in trouble sometimes)... honestly though this type of flop donk just seems really weird to me. You say he seems good... is he tight-good or aggro-good? I think against an aggressive player I might make it 1100 or so, it's such an inviting amount to call but it'n an amount that seems like it commits you when it really doesn't. It's the type of raise I'd make with aces in this spot too.

12-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Well in this case, the folders got it right. Hero raised to T1000, villain went all-in. Easy fold here right? IE - we're not thinking about going for a heroic call, putting villain on a semi-bluff flush draw? (I've done this a few times when villain was on the shortstack and got it right. Naturally the poker gods still punish me and give villain the flush everytime. But at least I know I made a great call /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

My thinking is there's no way villain has the balls to risk most of his stack on a semi-bluff or a mid-pair, unless he's just too reckless. Seems like you have to put him on TT, JJ, or maybe even slowplaying KK preflop. I did tell hero to make a note on villain for a nice play with the probe bet.

gumpzilla
12-20-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IE - we're not thinking about going for a heroic call, putting villain on a semi-bluff flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a somewhat unusual line for such a hand. The small initial bet followed by the push over the raise looks like he was fishing for precisely the action he got, and thus is well armed to take you out. (That, of course, would also make it a great bluffing line, but I think you're going to see such a line on a bluff far more rarely than a real hand if you look him up here.)

tewall
12-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it's hard to imagine this is a bluff. He's playing like he can beat an overpair, a hand Hero could easily have. Surely he wouldn't be expecting Hero to lay down KK or AA here, so he must thing he can beat it. Even if all he has is 2 diamonds, he could easily be a favorite anyway. (e.g. Jd Td is almost a 2 to 1 favorite).