PDA

View Full Version : $11: Top pair on scary board; what's my move?

Pokey
12-20-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm in the big blind with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Blinds are t15 and t30, seven players remain. Hijack limps, CO limps, button folds, SB completes, I check. Flop comes:

Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Stacks are:
SB: 1,865
Me: 745
Hijack: 920
CO: 690

I've hit top pair with no kicker, but the QJ on board make it less likely my kicker will play. SB checks, I bet t90 into a pot of t120. Hijack folds, CO calls, SB folds. Turn card comes:

Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

At this point, A = A unless he's got a decent kicker.

I check, CO checks.

River card:

Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Total blank. A few questions:

1. Flop bet: bad idea or good idea? Was t90 too small, too big, or about right?
2. Turn: check/fold or bet it? If "bet," how much is right?
3. River: check/fold, check/call, or bet it?

The only read I had on CO was that he played a bit loose (VPIP 30%) and passively (AF = 1.00).

splashpot
12-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I usually don't even bet this flop against 3 other players. Too likely that the flop hit someone else too. If you were up against only one other guy I'd probably take a stab at it. But not 3. Most likely I just check/fold this all the way.

12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
1) Flop bet is fine
2) Check on Turn is fine, but might have done another 90 bet.
3) River would make small bet for value (maybe 50 or so), as he'll call with any piece of the board. This might also serve as a blocking bet if he does have a good hand.

12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Pre-flop - nothing different here, you don't seem to have enough to raise b/c you are OOP.

Flop, you bet and he calls. I like the size of your bet here, but maybe a little higher in the same range. If he had two pair, A-anything, I think he would raise to test his hand on that board. The other possibility is he is slowing playing the nuts, or a a draw to it. Thus, I see you ahead of villian on this flop.

Turn: If he has the ten you're stuck, but with your flop bet and turn check, if he has the str8 now or had it before, he knows you are scared of it now. That means he either checks or raises a callable amount. If he had AK, I think he would probably bet, again because he just made his hand and he had no info on where he stands with Broadway on the board. At this point, I see it as villian doen not even have TP or he has the nuts.

The turn is a good spot to bet. If you bet here, if he smooth calls fast, I would put him on the str8. If he doesn't have a ten, two pair or an A he should fold. Someone below recommended t90, that's fine but if he is as loose as you think, then you may want to go a teeny bit higher, especially at a $10+1. This is a good place to bet, because if he does not have the str8, he should fold, if he calls, you can feel more comfortable w/ a check/fold on the end.

River is a brick: All-in is stupid here, b/c he only calls if he has a ten or two-pair and doesn't believe you. Either way, if he calls it's lights out for you or a split pot. Not betting on the turn, really hurt you b/c you don't have any more info re: the Broadway staring you in the face. A check could might encourage him to push at you, so I would probably put something in the pot b/c your kicker won't play and maybe he folds with Kx, Qx or Jx. He might even call with those, which is good for you.