PDA

View Full Version : Semi-bluff turn with AK?

ElSapo
07-23-2003, 07:28 PM
UTG raises, one fold and I re-raise with AKo. One other caller and three see the flop. JJ5 with two hearts, I have the Ah. UTG checks and I bet. Third man folds and UTG calls. Turn is a baby heart, UTG bets out. Raise? Call?

JohnShaft
07-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Unless he's raised UTG with something like KQs he doesn't figure to have the flush at all. He might have the Jack (AJ?) intended to CR the turn but got scared you'd check the turn through when he doesn't have a heart.
He could just be bluffing the hell out of your "missed AK".

The raise could be a good play because it will very likely get him to lay down a non heart AK, winning you the pot no matter. And if you just call do you fold on the river to another bet when he may have AK (or even AQ?)?
If he would bluff the flush and wouldn't 3 bet (the flush board) with a Jack then a raise definitely looks like a good play. Mainly because you can 'take' the pot of another AK.

If he calls and you miss you can check the river.

lil'
07-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Hmmmm. Not a bad spot for a semi-bluff. If he doesn't have a J or the flush, it will be tough for him to call you. If you are three bet, you can safely remove aces and kings from your list of outs.

That's my opinion.

Stu Pidasso
07-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Raise. If you flush out on the river your raise here collects an extra bet. If your AK bust you can get a showdown for free. I agree the other poster, a reraise means AsKs are not outs.

Stu

elysium
07-23-2003, 11:37 PM
hi el
i don't know. it's close. if the UTG is a good player, then i would raise. however, if he is only average, i think calling and hoping to improve is correct. the same is true for a weak tight or calling station type. only raise a good opponent who might laydown AK or AQ.