PDA

View Full Version : OT: Maybe it's all Just Luck

skipperbob
12-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Planning to get pretty badly burned from the Flames /images/graemlins/frown.gif(and I deserve it)...But having just gone thru a (+)70 buyin upswing & a (-) 40 buyin downswing; my question is: "Is it all just Luck?" /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pergesu
12-20-2005, 09:31 AM
A little bit of weed and a whole lotta luck...that's how this nigga pay the bills ya heard

12-20-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Planning to get pretty badly burned from the Flames /images/graemlins/frown.gif(and I deserve it)...But having just gone thru a (+)70 buyin upswing & a (-) 40 buyin downswing; my question is: "Is it all just Luck?" /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain what a +70 buy-in upswing is? Is that total profit - money invested * ROI? And there's a lot of luck ofcourse. I've started using SNG Tracker again so I don't have to put in all the results myself, and now I'm going to try to only look at them once a week. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

skipperbob
12-20-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain what a +70 buy-in upswing is? Is that total profit - money invested * ROI? And there's a lot of luck ofcourse. I've started using SNG Tracker again so I don't have to put in all the results myself, and now I'm going to try to only look at them once a week. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I play $109's...70 "buyins" = $7,000

tigerite
12-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Just don't give me your bad luck, I don't want it.

SeaSiren
12-20-2005, 10:35 AM
It'll be luck if SFB has anything left to leave under the mrs. skipper's (or mermaid's) tree by xmas.
Merry Christmas /images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-20-2005, 10:49 AM
yea, its all just luck

dont be silly

skipperbob
12-20-2005, 10:52 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SuitedSixes
12-20-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that YOU are up 30 buy-ins? Well, then yeah, it's all luck.

Hendricks433
12-20-2005, 01:42 PM
My roomate tells me everyday its all luck cause he consistently loses money with a good day here and there. He wont listen to me and try to get better at all. So you could call it all luck if your not good at poker.

Daliman
12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
For you, yes.

playtitleist
12-20-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My roomate tells me everyday its all luck cause he consistently loses money with a good day here and there. He wont listen to me and try to get better at all. So you could call it all luck if your not good at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who is convinced of the same. I try not to encourage him to get better. +EV for me.

tjh
12-20-2005, 02:53 PM
The blue-footed one had a good response to dealing with downswings. Search for it.

There can be no doubt in my mind that humans tend to play better when they have just won then when they have just lost. This exacerbates your swings.

It would be nice to "just play your game" through the swings but I doubt if any one of us has the spock-like or data-like ability to ignore the emotional reality.

--
tjh

12-20-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Substitute "friend and coworker" for roomate, and I can say the same thing. He just refuses to believe that his donkey plays aren't perfect, he won't analyze his game at all.

12-20-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who is convinced of the same. I try not to encourage him to get better. +EV for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like a great friend.... It's fortunate that all the great players who share advice at this site don't share your attitude.