PDA

View Full Version : Preflop when someone has called

12-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Hello

In the book of Harrington and Gordon are a good helpful text, for opening in NL when nobody has called befor.

My question is, what is different when someone or two has called befor, which hand are godd for a raise and wichone for a call.

Sorry for my bad english, but I hope you can help me.

Thank you!

Shibby
12-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Research the Gap Concept a bit for your answer. There is a section in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky which discusses this.

Basically, it takes a stronger hand in your position to call an opponent who opened before you in earlier position.

http://www.pokerlistings.com/tournaments-poker-the-gap-concept

The term "gap concept" was first introduced by the excellent poker writer David Sklansky (see Editor's Pick for book reviews). This concept means that you will usually need a better hand to play against someone who has opened the betting than what you need to open with yourself. The difference between the hand needed to call an opening bet with and the hand needed to open with is called the gap. Depending on whether your opponents are playing tight or loose, the width of the gap changes. The tighter they play the bigger the gap, and the looser they play the smaller the gap. This means raising when first in with a lot of hands you would never call a raise with normally. If you are sitting in late position playing Hold'em with a decent stack and no one has entered the pot, it would be correct to raise with hands as weak as 22, A-x and K-9s. Of course, if a very aggressive player is sitting in the blinds and he plays back a lot you will have to be more selective.

12-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Thank you for the answer. If I don't now anything about my opponent who has called, which hand's are good for call or raise when the opponent has called?

I am looking for a standard-preflop strategie and have at the moment the line by nobody has entered the pot and when somone has raised. But I have nothing when somebody have called befor me.

Have you a good and simple rule for this time?

djoyce003
12-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I raise my normal raising hands even if people have limped. If I raise ATs on the button and a couple people have limped, I go ahead and make my normal opening raise. I adjust the size by 1 big blind per limper. My normal raise is 4xbb, so if there are two limpers, and then I'm making it 6xbb or $3 at the party 50NL tables.

About the only concessions I make as to what I raise and what I don't, is that I might just limp with suited connectors like 109s or JTs, where I might normally raise those first in. I'd probably still raise QJs and better. It should be noted that I play 6max though and not full ring....raising those in full ring might be a recipe for disaster. Same goes for the larger mid-pocket pairs. I typically limp the little ones, but raise 99 or 88 in late position, but after multiple limpers I'd probably limp those as well.