PDA

View Full Version : best films of the year

pryor15
12-20-2005, 04:36 AM
ok, let's get this started. i'm working on my top 10 list of 2005 and trying to figure out what's what. here's where i need your help. since i don't get to go to press screenings or whatever, i usually miss a couple of films and look like an idiot when it takes me 3 years to see them. so, what do i absolutely need to see before i finish my list?

i've seen the following notables:

King Kong
Syriana
Saraband (the last bergman film)
Walk the Line
Crash
Pride & Prejudice
Millions
Broken Flowers
Good Night, And Good Luck
The constant gardener
Proof
Sin City

and maybe a couple others (and some real rubbish)

so, other than stuff that hasn't come out yet (i.e. Munich) what am i missing?

tdarko
12-20-2005, 04:41 AM
King Kong- A-
Syriana- B
Saraband- haven't seen
Walk the Line- A
Crash- A+
Pride & Prejudice- C+
Millions- A+
Broken Flowers- B+
Good Night, And Good Luck- B
The constant gardener- C-
Proof- B-
Sin City- B

EDIT: i am really anticipating Munich. some are saying its SS's masterpiece which says a ton, we shall see.

my favorite movie of the year has been crash.

oh and even though this will not be the view of most i really liked History of Violence and think it should be on the list...it was on AFI's top 10 list which is usually the benchmark for top 10 lists.

one more thing...i am really waiting for woody allen's new movie with scarlett johanssen...

pryor15
12-20-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: i am really anticipating Munich. some are saying its SS's masterpiece which says a ton, we shall see.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i have high hopes for that one. i'm also pretty excited about "match point", the new woody allen that's getting raves.

private joker
12-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Brokeback Mountain, Oldboy, The Baxter, The Squid and the Whale, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, Palindromes, Hidden, 2046, Me and You and Everyone We Know, and 3-Iron are the 10 best I've seen so far.

The New World is the best film I haven't seen yet, and probably will be #1.

siccjay
12-20-2005, 05:00 AM
Wedding Crashers

uw_madtown
12-20-2005, 05:00 AM
This year really sucked for movies.

captZEEbo1
12-20-2005, 05:02 AM
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051218/COMMENTARY/512180302

diebitter
12-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Batman Begins
40 year old virgin

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-20-2005, 05:23 AM
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was probably my favorite movie of the year.

pryor15
12-20-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i forgot about that one.

we have dvd copies of batman and "me, you, etc" in the apartment, so i'll have to check those out.

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-20-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm also pretty excited about "match point", the new woody allen that's getting raves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, does this mean it hasn't come out in the States? I saw it while in Europe. It was pretty messed up. I thought it was ok. Scarlet makes any movie tons better. Anyway, it's entirely too reminiscent of a cult classic (won't reveal which one) to make me think too highly of it. It's Woody Allen still being quirky...

pryor15
12-20-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i'm also pretty excited about "match point", the new woody allen that's getting raves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, does this mean it hasn't come out in the States?

[/ QUOTE ]

it isn't even out in NY/LA yet, to my knowledge. i think it gets the minimum oscar run at the end of the year.

sfer
12-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Me and You and Everyone We Know

Nicholasp27
12-20-2005, 10:35 AM
sin city, of course

batman begins was great as well

whiskeytown
12-20-2005, 11:17 AM
I have high expectations for King Kong -

going to see it on Wed.

RB

12-20-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Batman Begins
40 year old virgin

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

tdarko
12-20-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Me and You and Everyone We Know

[/ QUOTE ]
i should really edit my list. what a great movie.

haven't seen brokeback yet, going to real soon though.

SL__72
12-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Oldboy was 2003. Is 3-Iron really that good? I should be gettiong it on Thursday.

Hornacek
12-20-2005, 11:41 AM
I liked Hitch.

TheBlueMonster
12-20-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pride & Prejudice
Millions

[/ QUOTE ]
ewww.....

And why is "Cheaper by the Dozen 2" not on there? Supposedly it's reminicent of a young Orson Welles with hints of Ford and Scorsese....

obsidian
12-20-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Was just about to post this. I loved this movie.

Nicholasp27
12-20-2005, 12:27 PM
hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy as well

Crveballin
12-20-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And I really enjoyed the book.

diebitter
12-20-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And I really enjoyed the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the movie. Preferred the TV show, book, and radio series, but still liked the movie.

Riverman
12-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I hate serious racial material and I thought crash was superb.

hulk3rules
12-20-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crash
Cinderella Man
Star Wars
Batman Begins
and I have heard King Kong is awesome

Not to mention less widely released movies such as "Hustle and Flow" and "Last Days"

Not exactly sucky in my opinion

12-20-2005, 07:25 PM
I don't care about movies, what happened to the Red Green avatar?

MonkeeMan
12-20-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cinderella Man

[/ QUOTE ]
good catch

[ QUOTE ]
Star Wars

[/ QUOTE ]
I am glad the curtain has finally closed on this. I felt obligated to go due to fond memories, but now I'm free.

GuyOnTilt
12-20-2005, 08:17 PM
The Best of Youth
Crash
Murderball
Nobody Knows
Cache

Haven't seen and need to: Capote, Turtles Can Fly, King and Queen, Brokeback.

GoT

Paluka
12-20-2005, 08:22 PM
I think A League of Ordinary Gentlemen was a better sports documentary than Murderball.

GuyOnTilt
12-20-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think A League of Ordinary Gentlemen was a better sports documentary than Murderball.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have not seen it. I will have to look for it, thank you.

GoT

uw_madtown
12-21-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crash
Cinderella Man
Star Wars
Batman Begins
and I have heard King Kong is awesome

Not to mention less widely released movies such as "Hustle and Flow" and "Last Days"

Not exactly sucky in my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Hustle and Flow was good but nothing amazing. Same for Episode III. Haven't seen Cinderella Man but that got medoicre reviews too. Even Batman and King Kong, two of my favorites this year, aren't perfect, four-star movies IMO.

Compared to most years, yes. This was a sucky year for movies. Most years I end up seeing 30-40 movies minimum by the end of the year and have a handful of new favorites. This year, I had a hard time even coming up with movies worth my time.

diebitter
12-21-2005, 01:53 AM
I guess:

Harry Potter 4
Madagascar
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

(I'm not saying these are great, just adding a few more I remembered from this year)

private joker
12-21-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oldboy was 2003. Is 3-Iron really that good? I should be gettiong it on Thursday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oldboy wasn't released in the USA until 2005. 3-Iron is Kim's best film by a mile. It captures the Buddhism thing he was doing in Spring Summer, but places it in a context where the story is more arresting, as opposed to the preachy (if likable) visuals of Spring...

pryor15
12-21-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care about movies, what happened to the Red Green avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt like a change of pace. i'm sure it'll return eventually.

EricW
12-21-2005, 04:35 AM
Ummm so far, I'd say:

Batman Begins
Crash
Constant Gardener
Serenity

I have yet to see Syriana and King Kong but I'll do so very soon. I'll also rent Cinderella Man although watching a movie at home is not nearly as powerful as watching it at a good theatre.

One movie I didn't like however that has loads of praise is A History of Violence. I don't know why critics loved that movie. You don't really find out the character's motivation and there were just so many scenes that were really slow paced added in for no reason.

Schneids
12-21-2005, 04:47 AM
A history of violence sucked.

I'd go wtih Cinderella Man and Murderball as my top two.

EricW
12-21-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even Batman and King Kong, two of my favorites this year, aren't perfect, four-star movies IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to chime in about Batman because I'm a huge Batman homer. When I first saw Batman Begins, the whole time I was saying to myself: "WOW!" I actually saw it multiple times and each time, the crowd stood up clapping at the end of the movie. I haven't seen somethign like that in a long time and from the people I talk to at other forums I frequent, they experienced the same thing.

Now to critique the movie from an objective point of view, I'd say the first 2/3 of the movie were flawless especially the first bit. The character development was just really strong as we journey through the agony and pain with Bruce. Bale does a brilliant job at portraying realistic emotions (ie at the court scene when he's about to shoot chill). The early scenes with Batman were stellar as well. The interrogation scene with Flass was brilliantly done.

Now where does this movie start to tank from an objective point of view? Well as soon as the car chase scene happens. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tumbler as it's more realistic than any previous Batmobiles, but from that point on, the movie just follows a Hollywood explosion type movie. The microwave emitter was a plot hole in itself. I mean, things like this are fine if you're looking for a brainless, summer action movie, but the first 2/3 of the movie was so perfect to end like this.

The ending at the end couldn't have been any better though.

But I agree with you. The film wasn't perfect because of the last 1/3 of the film. It's a real shame

bluef0x
12-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Wedding Crashers (Best comedy film BY FAR this year, anyone that said 40 year old virgin and not this is wack)
Crash
Constant Gardner
Saw 2
Hitch was pretty good if you went with a GF

Probably missing 1 or 2 I enjoyed...

I liked batman, but don't think it was 1 of the best. It probably would have been better if I saw it in a theater instead of a [censored] drive-in.

----

I didn't like King Kong that much. The first hour was soley there to try to either kill you or make you barf. The rest was realllllly drawn out.

Star Wars sucked, really long/boring.

ackid
12-21-2005, 05:08 AM
Kong Kong= Rocks!!

Batman= Disappointing.

Crash= Absolute Rubbish.

WillMagic
12-21-2005, 05:08 AM
I just came back from Brokeback, and it's the best movie I've seen so far this year. Gorgeous, poignant, and heartbreaking.

Rounding out my top five are, in order of goodness, The Constant Gardener, King Kong, Syriana, and The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

Will

diebitter
12-21-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even Batman and King Kong, two of my favorites this year, aren't perfect, four-star movies IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to chime in about Batman because I'm a huge Batman homer. When I first saw Batman Begins, the whole time I was saying to myself: "WOW!" I actually saw it multiple times and each time, the crowd stood up clapping at the end of the movie. I haven't seen somethign like that in a long time and from the people I talk to at other forums I frequent, they experienced the same thing.

Now to critique the movie from an objective point of view, I'd say the first 2/3 of the movie were flawless especially the first bit. The character development was just really strong as we journey through the agony and pain with Bruce. Bale does a brilliant job at portraying realistic emotions (ie at the court scene when he's about to shoot chill). The early scenes with Batman were stellar as well. The interrogation scene with Flass was brilliantly done.

Now where does this movie start to tank from an objective point of view? Well as soon as the car chase scene happens. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tumbler as it's more realistic than any previous Batmobiles, but from that point on, the movie just follows a Hollywood explosion type movie. The microwave emitter was a plot hole in itself. I mean, things like this are fine if you're looking for a brainless, summer action movie, but the first 2/3 of the movie was so perfect to end like this.

But I agree with you. The film wasn't perfect because of the last 1/3 of the film. It's a real shame

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is spot-on about Batman Begins. This is one scary batman - you'd cak your pants if you met him on a dark night, for sure. If it had maintained the quality after the chase (the chase was fine IMHO as a counterpoint to the rest), it would be in the top 50 of films ever made, I'd suggest. Even with this failing though, I'd say it's the best superhero movie made so far (and that's stiff competition with Spidey 2 and X-Men barking at its heels).

Oh, and I'd say both Wedding Crashers and 50-year old virgin are both fine comedies.

TheCroShow
12-21-2005, 06:21 AM
The Machinist was one of my top 10 of the year.

12-21-2005, 06:33 AM
I saw Batman Begins on opening night, and I couldn't have had a better movie experience. Normally I hate going to see movies when they first open because it's usually a room full of jackasses. But the midnight showing of Batman was full of consciousness movie go-ers who all loved Batman. And the end, oh boy the end! Everyone clapped. The film was so well done. Casting was great. One of the best movie experiences I've ever had.

I've loved Batman since I was little, so Batman Begins is top 5 of the year for me.

ChipWrecked
12-21-2005, 06:34 AM
I don't get to the movies much anymore... I see no mention of Jarhead. Anybody?

diebitter
12-21-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not out in the UK yet /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have to admit I was meh about it, but saw a trailer for it before King Kong, and it's now on my 'must see' list (haven't read any reviews yet - I don't trust yank reviewers, and waiting for Mark Kermode and a coupla other UK reviewers to give me the heads up before I decide for sure to go see at the cinema though)

12-21-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw it and I was disappointed. Wait for rental.

evil_twin
12-21-2005, 07:31 AM
Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, and Serenity are easily my favorites of the year. I have yet to see Crash or King Kong, but expect them to be up there.

Film that had me sitting there shaking my head throughout muttering "oh God George what have you done" was....

private joker
12-21-2005, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Crash= Absolute Rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The Machinist was one of my top 10 of 2004

[/ QUOTE ]

Cancuk
12-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Not a great year for movies, but some notables (i haven't seen Syriana or King Kong yet).

notables:

Crash
Capote
Sin City
The Constant Gardener
Broken Flowers
Junebug
Walk the line

Best overall: Crash

ChipWrecked
12-21-2005, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, and Serenity are easily my favorites of the year. I have yet to see Crash or King Kong, but expect them to be up there.

Film that had me sitting there shaking my head throughout muttering "oh God George what have you done" was....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nnnnnnooooooooooooo!

EricW
12-21-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nnnnnnooooooooooooo!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Jesus, that was quite an awkward/funny part in the movie.

Although I did enjoy it, I wouldn't say it's one of the best films of the year.

Here's what good old maddox has to say about it: steaming pile of sith (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3)

HesseJam
12-21-2005, 08:27 AM
I saw Batman begins on the plane and didn't even care to put the headset on (had two lovely Belgian ladies as neighbours and came close to making out with one of them). It's funny that if you watch a movie without sound how it reveals bad acting and its stupidity.

imported_The Vibesman
12-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm a big comic-book-movie-Batman fan and I was disappointed. The fight scenes were sssssoooooooo bad, you couldn't see a thing. Flash-bam-boom, five guys on the ground and you have no clue how they got there.

The Scarecrow? Couldn't they have come up with a better costume? A burlap bag, is that all the guy can do? I remember when supervillians had style.

The tumbler car was cool looking, but wouldn't it be easier to move around on rooftops and evade capture without it? The thing's pretty easy to track.

I thought the performaces were fine, tho Neeson nothing to write home about, and I did like the production design, the whole look of Gotham.

I haven't seen enough of this year's films yet to comment on what might be the best. My favorite so far is probably Sin City. I'd have to think about it though.

pryor15
12-21-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for a minute i totally thought you were talking about "Good Night, And Good Luck" and was confused

i get it now, though

SL__72
12-21-2005, 03:07 PM
I thought Batman Begins was actually very good... and I've never been a big fan of Batman.

I think its funny how much people's opinions of Crash vary. While I don't think it was anywhere near the best movie of the year, I really don't understand where people are coming from when they say it was rubbish... Is it just that it is overrated and you weren't a huge fan? Or did you really think it was a poor attempt at filmmaking?

diebitter
12-21-2005, 03:32 PM
is kung fu hustle 2005?

also, best actor for 2005 - andy serkis for king kong, easily

Blarg
12-21-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hugely disappointed in the fight scenes.

What made it worse was the special feature in the DVD about the fighting in the movie. (I saw it on DVD.) It hyped some fighting style a couple of stuntmen made up absolutely to the sky, just over the top gushing praise, blabbed about how Bale was so into it and all, and then in the movie itself it's mostly just a murk of quick shots of upper torso movement. The standard Hollywood quick cuts and tight angles that can make absolutely anybody look like they sorta might know what they're doing.

I liked lots of parts of the movie, but the fight scenes left such a bad taste in my mouth, as well as I think the clumsy, abrupt way that Morgan Freeman was used. Overall I was disappointed in this one, though Bale is a watchable actor.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big comic-book-movie-Batman fan and I was disappointed. The fight scenes were sssssoooooooo bad, you couldn't see a thing. Flash-bam-boom, five guys on the ground and you have no clue how they got there.

The Scarecrow? Couldn't they have come up with a better costume? A burlap bag, is that all the guy can do? I remember when supervillians had style.

The tumbler car was cool looking, but wouldn't it be easier to move around on rooftops and evade capture without it? The thing's pretty easy to track.

I thought the performaces were fine, tho Neeson nothing to write home about, and I did like the production design, the whole look of Gotham.

I haven't seen enough of this year's films yet to comment on what might be the best. My favorite so far is probably Sin City. I'd have to think about it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL right after I make my comment I see that I wasn't the only one that felt that way.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
He didn't act the monkey balls. No performance is complete if you don't act the balls.

hoopsie44
12-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Saw "Brokeback Mountain" yesterday and thought it was great.
"Gloomy Sunday" was my runner-up.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-21-2005, 04:45 PM
crash was complete crap. worst movie ive seen in years on so many levels.

KaneKungFu123
12-21-2005, 04:47 PM
war of lord is the best. hands down.

flatline
12-21-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't seen Cinderella Man but that got medoicre reviews too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It got reviewed as well as anything else released this year. reviews (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cinderella_man/)

trotski
12-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Cinderella Man
Syriana
Sin City
Good Night and Good Luck
March of the Penguins (cinematography was amazing to say the least)

My top 5

ChipWrecked
12-21-2005, 10:08 PM
I thought Crash started off with great potential, but by the end it was just blah.

colgin
12-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I'll add a few that (I believe) have not been mentioned.

March of the Penguins.
Grizzly Man.
The Beat That My Heart Skipped.

12-22-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL right after I make my comment I see that I wasn't the only one that felt that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - Scarecrow sucked as a villain. But remember, Batman had a dying Rachel with him when he was in the Tumbler evading the cops. Don't ask me why Batman didn't have the antidote with him (vehicle for the car chase?) but whatever.

ScottieK

istewart
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
I didn't read all of the New Yorker review for Munich but the gist seemed to be that it was pretty bad. Unless it gets slammed across the board I'll see it anyway since it's Spielberg, but I hope it's actually worthwhile.