PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a couple questions.

cold_cash
12-20-2005, 03:29 AM
Hey guys.

I'm mostly a limit player but I've recently been playing more small no-limit tournaments. (In the home games I play this is almost exclusively what they play, so I'm trying to get better.)

Anyway, I've recently read both of Dan Harrington's books and I'm sort of feeling my way through some situations that I've likely been screwing up for a long time.

Many of these situations deal with calculating pot odds and, more importantly, what to do once they've been calculated. Even though the principles are the same, the differences in this process in a no-limit game vs. a limit game are something I stuggle with.

In retrospect this hand looks like a pretty simple call, and it may not be the best example to get my question answered.

Even so, I'd still appreciate your input.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

UTG (t2425)
MP (t280)
CO (t880)
Button (t440)
SB (t1355)
Hero (t2620)

Blinds: t75/t150
Initial pot size: t225

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
3 folds, Button Moves All In for t440 , 1 fold, Hero....?

So there's 665 in the pot and it costs me 290 to call, so I'm getting ~2.3:1.

This is automatic, right?

Another important question:

How does my stack size effect this decision?

For instance, if I had to risk 50% of my stack to make this call as opposed to 12%, is it still automatic?

Thanks.

Scuba Chuck
12-20-2005, 03:35 AM
Good call.

12-20-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Another important question:

How does my stack size effect this decision?

For instance, if I had to risk 50% of my stack to make this call as opposed to 12%, is it still automatic?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does affect the decision. Lets say there are 5 players left. You have 1500 along with two others, with one player on 600 and another on 3900. If the blinds are big it may appear +EV to call an allin by the 600 stack, but look at the results.

If you fold you will still have a very good stack to compete. If you win you will increase in chips, but how much will this increase your chance of cashing in the tournament? If you call and lose, you will be the small stack of the tournament and likely to go out not long after.

I havent explained this very well, but if calling and losing will stuff your position (in terms of competing stacks) up completely then you have to take this into consideration. 50% of your stack is a much more significant decision than 12%, when a loss will make much less difference. SNG Power Tools takes this into consideration.

runner4life7
12-20-2005, 04:12 AM
i think the general rule I use is if i am getting over 2.5:1 and its less than 1/4 of my stack insta call with any 2. I get looser depending on my cards, pot odds, and the table situation if that helps at all.

cold_cash
12-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys.