PDA

View Full Version : 88 against a maniac and his LRR

imported_smoove
12-20-2005, 03:25 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

<font color="blue">Villain is 50/11/2.1 after 90 hands. I don't have any specific reads on him, however. </font>

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

River: (7.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

MicK412
12-20-2005, 03:35 AM
LRR always throw me for a loop. However, when a maniac like your villian LRR, it usually isnt a monster. In most cases, its suited junk.

In your case, I would raise turn, hoping for a free showdown. Villian probably isn't bluff three-betting the turn, and if he calls your turn raise and still bets on river, it's an easy fold.

Question is, if he checks a non-club river to you, do you value bet in that scenario?

chief444
12-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Do not fold 88 on a K999 board against a completely overaggressive opponent...especially in what's now a decent pot. No line here should incluce folding.

imported_smoove
12-20-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do not fold 88 on a K999 board against a completely overaggressive opponent...especially in what's now a decent pot. No line here should incluce folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I was folding this...but was calling down better than raising the turn?

chief444
12-20-2005, 04:07 AM
I'd probably just call down. His stats are pretty crazy but only over 90 hands he could be having a lucky night if you didn't notice anything yet. He did LRR and his pfr isn't really that high. Yeah...I'd call down.

12-20-2005, 04:34 AM
In situatinons like this i have no idea where i stand, so i prefer to make it one bet at each round. That means if he bet i call, if he checks i bet.

Against a TAG you vill loose more than 50% percent of the time so a flop fold is best, but aganst a maniac you gonna win more than 50%. It seem like a passive play but against maniacks i think its wery profitable.

12-20-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I was folding this...but was calling down better than raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising the turn would be really bad here IMO, becuz this is the exact kind of opponent that is capable of 3betting you with a hand you can beat. I also think you are much better off just callin the flop also, for the same reason you should just call the turn. Against overaggressive opponents, when you have a marginal holding such as the one you have, the best strategy is usually to get to the showdown as cheaply as possible.

xenthebrain
12-20-2005, 06:57 AM
I would just call down and not raise the turn.
We want this hand to go to a showdown and against an agressive player we could very well be forced to call a 3bet on the turn.
Maybe I would bet the river when he checks a blank, UI ace high might call this since there is a good chance we missed too.

imported_smoove
12-20-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Against overaggressive opponents, when you have a marginal holding such as the one you have, the best strategy is usually to get to the showdown as cheaply as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Chief said, this guy might have just been having a lucky night. I was doing other things and not paying much attention to individual players. But when I saw his A5o...maniac status confirmed (unless he was a good player just messing around).