PDA

View Full Version : Flopping Broadway out of the Small Blind

NYCNative
12-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I rarely slowplay but I wanted to maximize value and since it was an unraised pot, I didn't anticipate anyone having a monster so I thought that playing it fast would lead to folds.

A third spade dropping would have sucked but I was willing to risk it since I hadn't invested much into the pot. In this case, I was risking losing a small(ish) pot in the hopes of winning a big(gish) pot.

Is this a good way to play this or should I always take an aggressive line? In this case, it was a $5.50 (when I'm at work I play smaller limits than when I'm at home) but I wonder about playing it this way even at higher buy-ins (I usually play $11-33).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t478)
Hero (t1620)
BB (t1460)
UTG (t1210)
UTG+1 (t4490)
MP1 (t1382)
MP2 (t1390)
CO (t1470)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60, BB folds.

Turn: (t180) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t80</font>, Hero calls t80.

River: (t340) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, CO calls t100.

Final Pot: t540

bluefeet
12-19-2005, 11:04 PM
In our quest to win the monster pots, we often loose a substantial amount in the process. You don't have the nuts here, and there is no certainty CO will fire again on the river. By not raising the flop, you could basically give him two free cards in your attempt to win a big'ish pot. It's reasonable to expect him to have a piece of this broadway flop. I'd make it 150 to go here with the c-raise line. A t40 lead from the blinds might also set you up for a nice reraise situation, when an Ace tries to come over top your apparent FD.

Edit: The play from most is bad enough where you'll win much more playing fast, than you will slow.

12-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Slow-playing this is alright in my opinion. Just beware a third spade falling. However, if you're going to lead the river you might as well have raised after he bet the turn also.

KingDan
12-19-2005, 11:16 PM
People love aces.

IMO don't slowplay here...you'll get action on this board.

2DAXTRM (Jeff)
12-19-2005, 11:16 PM
I think check raising the flop is fine. A lot of these morons will go broke with Any ace, straight draw, or flush draw. I would personally lead at the flop with a bet a little smaller than the pot. Also keep in mind that when you are playing it slowly... you're not going to win much money if he's bluffing, and if he's drawing to something you might go broke if he hits.

bones
12-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Get some [censored] chips into the pot when you have the nuts.

Maulik
12-19-2005, 11:35 PM
You've gotten so little value out of your hand. 2x more chips should have been coming your way. Lead, lead lead.

NYCNative
12-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Villain had a weak Queen. ANy real aggression and he probably goes away. I certainly doubt I was going to get anything else out of him.

That may be results-oriented but in a pot with one late limper and the blinds with all those high cards flopping, what's the strongest hand I am facing here in all likelyhood?

gisb0rne
12-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he had pocked aces. Not that AA is likely but limping with AA seems popular these days.

Hornacek
12-20-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been said yet, but...

how the hell do you have the 50 minutes straight to play a SNG at work? What do you do? Are you of any value to your company? (?????)

12-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I went to AAMCO last week and the mechanic was sitting there playing a SNG on Stars. Was that you? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

adanthar
12-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Bet bet, bet bet bet, bet bet bet bet bet. Bet.

There is an A, a Q, and a J out, with a flush draw and all sorts of wacky pair + gutshots that will take cards off. Just freaking bet, they will call because they like to. You stack A7 here unbelievably often at lower stakes and would feel really really dumb if villain had QJ (which he very well could.)

Bet.

nova
12-20-2005, 08:42 PM
I think check raising the flop and then leading the turn could win you some money. Agree with the comments about the 3rd spade definitley, but check/raise on the flop and then leading on the turn can still win you some nice money. Once the river comes, a "pay me off" bet of 1/4 to 1/3 of the pot could cause the opponent to lay it down (if they are capable of making that fold on the end).

Uppercut
12-20-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised this hasn't been said yet, but...

how the hell do you have the 50 minutes straight to play a SNG at work? What do you do? Are you of any value to your company? (?????)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Pokerstars. More like 75 minutes to complete an SnG. (And I was thinking the exact same thought.)