PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use an external RAM plug in?

Greenthumb
12-19-2005, 09:58 PM
dont know the technical wording, but a friend tells me you can get 1Gig of ram for 70$ that you plug in externally. i was thinking of trying it out until i get a new computer. anyone have any experience with this?

12-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Yes, they are called Thumb drives or Flash Memory. Thell sell them everywhere. Here is a whole page of them at Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=cat01049

Oh they plug in to your USB plug. Every new computer should have like 4 of them.

KenProspero
12-19-2005, 11:10 PM
How do you use a thumb drive as RAM?

12-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Ahhh you are really talking RAM, I thought you were just mixing up the memory types. I have never heard of such a beast and I cant imagine it being any good. The problem would be BUS speed, meaning how fast the motherboard can talk to the memory and back again. I could be wrong but in theory it sounds like a waste of $$$. If you are going to spend $70 why not just but real internal memory, it cost about that much, even cheaper sometimes?

smoore
12-20-2005, 12:45 AM
basically, nothing external could be fast enough to act as RAM. Think of anything external as a slightly slower swap file.

CORed
12-20-2005, 05:21 PM
I think maybe his friend was the one who was mixing up ram with mass storage. To the OP. Buy real ram. It's about the easiest hardware upgrade there is to install (on a desktop anyway). Just open the case and snap it in.

Greenthumb
12-20-2005, 10:57 PM
thanks much for all the input. i guess what i was talking about is more for transferring [censored] from comp to comp, didnt realize a real internal RAM upgrade was cheap and easy to install.