PDA

View Full Version : The Official OOT Cookbook.

deacsoft
12-19-2005, 09:20 PM
For a guy with an IQ of 156 I can't cook anything. I used to just order out every day, but now my lovely girlfriend cooks for me every day. (God bless her /images/graemlins/smile.gif ) She's not a very experienced cook but everything that she's made so far has been great. I'm convinced that she has the gift. She just hasn't had to do it a lot. Therefore, she doesn't know a lot of recipes. This got me to thinking... where better place to turn than the internet. And who better to ask than my fellow OOTers. So I'd like to make this thread the Official OOT Cookbook.

The thread should contain your favorite recipes, cooking directions, and even a pic of the food if you're able to provide one. They don't have to be your own recipes. Just be sure if you got it out of a book or something to give credit to the source if possible. If it is your own recipe you need to give it a name. (example: "deacsoft's hot as hell wings" or something) I'm hoping we can get a nice thread going here and exchange a lot of recipes. Any time someone uses someone else's recipe they can go back in and rate the food. Plus I'm sure many of the contributers won't mind an open forum question or a PMed question if you need extra direction. (If you post a recipe and don't want PMs just indicate it in your post.)

Well, I'm looking forward to the thread. God knows I could use some new things to try at the dinner table.
Bon Appetit!

CrazyEyez
12-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Nice brag post.

eviljeff
12-19-2005, 09:25 PM
tuna on toast

open and drain a can of tuna
add some mayo
mash it well with a fork
toast bread
slice tomato

patrick_mcmurray
12-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Korean steak - made it twice and has gone down well both times

INGREDIENTS:
• 2 pounds thinly sliced Scotch fillet (chuck eye steaks)
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 5 tablespoons white sugar
• 2 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
• 3 shallots, thinly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 5 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet wine)

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, stir together the soy sauce, sugar, sesame seeds, sesame oil, shallots, garlic, and mirin. Add the meat, and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the meat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Serve with salad or fried rice.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Hmm, okay. I do this by sight, so it's hard to describe quantities. But I'll try.

Blarg's Cream Cheese Eggs

2 tbsp butter or margarine
1/4 bar of Philly Cream Cheese or equivalent
5 eggs

In a small saucepot, drop margarine cut into small bits and let melt over very low heat. Do not let it brown! When melted, add cream cheese cut into thin bits or slices to aid in quick melting. If necessary, tip saucepot on its edge to let cream cheese melt without browning butter. Whisk together eggs in a bowl while waiting. When cream cheese is melted, stir to thoroughly mix with melted butter. Pour whisked eggs into butter and melted cream cheese mixture and mix together rapidly with heat proof spoon. Stir occasionally until scrambled, but not dry, taking care not to let eggs brown.

Serve with toast.

patrick_mcmurray
12-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Easy West Indian fried chicken with rice and peas and fried banana

This is my own way of doing it I guess

Basically get some chicken breasts. Heat oil in pan (heat on max). Fry chicken (the oil might jump around a bit). Add some cajun seasoning. Lean on the chicken a bit with a spoon to flatten it and so increase fry-able surface area. If it looks like its drying out then throw on a bit of beer.

Rice and peas. Cook the rice 90%. Get two or three tins of beans eg kidney beans, butter beans - whatever you like. Drain tins and add to rice. Get tin of coconut milk and add. Then put it on the hob and burn off the coconut milk. Not too hot. Make sure to stir.

Fried banana. Chop banana. (I have found that chopping it into little rounds works best). Fry in hot oil.

This is so easy and is actually really good. Enjoy.

sublime
12-19-2005, 09:44 PM
For a guy with an IQ of 156 I can't cook anything.

well i didnt have an opinion of you before

Alobar
12-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Alobars lazy bastard enchilads

named, cuz they are easy as hell to make

Go buy a can of enchilada sauce. I prefer hatch, and I like red. But whatever.

Decide what you want the guts to be. hamburger, ground turkey, chicken, or spinach all work well.

Im actually making them tonight with turkey, so thats what ill use

preheat oven to 350

brown 1lb of ground turkey in a skillet. Use the good stuff (extra lean) so you dont have to drain any fat you cheap bastards!

Dump 15oz can of enchilada sauce into a sauce pan, heat it up while you are cooking turkey, it doesnt gotta boil, just warm it up.

Dump the ground turkey into the enchilada sauce

Lightly oil the bottom of a cooking pan (I think 8x10 is what I use) and place a tortilla shell in it (I use "gordita" size, not burrito size. I think its a 10" shell), spoon out some of the turkey/enchilada sauce into middle of tortilla, sprinkle some cheese on it. Then roll it up. Repeat these steps until there are 6 enchiladas in the pan but make sure you still have sauce/meat left. Take the remainder of the sauce/meat and dump it on top of the rolled up enchiladas, spread it around evenly, and sprinkle cheese all over the top.

Place in oven for like 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.

eat. Unless you are a fat bastard you should have some leftover. Eat it for lunch the next day, it tastes great microwaved, and is even one of those leftover items, that is decent cold.

RunDownHouse
12-19-2005, 09:49 PM
I put this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=exchange&Number=3951943&f part=&PHPSESSID=) thread in my favorites pretty quickly. It features good stuff from ElD with solid contributions from others. It also spawned a couple really good scotch threads.

12-19-2005, 09:55 PM
twoblacknines PB & J
2 slices bread
some peanut butter
some jelly (grape is best)
enjoy

toss
12-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey another food thread cool.

Toss's Baked Salmon and Asparagus:

Salmon Filet From the Market
Olive Oil
Butter
Bread Crumbs
Honey
Dijon Mustard
Asparagus

Cut up the salmon into serving sizes, coat with honey and dijon mustard, sprinkle some bread crumbs on top and pour melted butter on top. Add salt and pepper if you want. Bake in overn at 400 degrees until the salmon is flaky or whatever.

As for the asparagus wash then drizzle on top with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees, but make sure you don't overcook. A few minutes extra can ruin great asparagus.

Of course this recipe is stolen from another 2+2er.

RRRRICK
12-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Pasta with Brocolli - very authentic southern italian dish.

take 2 heads of brocolli remove stalk and cut into normal size segments.

Boil brocolli in salted water for about 8 minutes until soft.

Remove from water and add to pan and fry in olive oil(generous amount) and 4 cloves of garlic. Salt to taste.

Cook 500grams of penne in same water you boiled broc in.

Strain pasta when ready and to pan, stir through.

Serve with parmesan.

This will take 15 minutes and taste great

tonypaladino
12-19-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
twoblacknines PB & J
2 slices bread
some peanut butter
enjoy

[/ QUOTE ]

Strawbetty jelly > Grape Jelly, and Blueberry is in a class all its own.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Jam >>>>>> jelly.

SippinSoma
12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
From top to bottom:

Bread, mayo, ruffles chips, turkey, gouda cheese, ham, bread.

deacsoft
12-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Baked Ziti ala Soprano

ingredients
1lb Italian Sausage (optional)
16oz ziti pasta
26oz spagetti sauce (your choice of kind)
15oz ricotta cheese
8oz mozzarella shredded cheese (divide into two 4oz)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

directions
-preheat oven to 350
-cook pasta, drain but save 1/2 cup of the pasta water
-mix spagetti sauce, ricotta cheese, and pasta water in large bowl
-add pasta and 4oz of mozzarella to bowl and mix lightly
-spray a 13in x 9in pan with cooking spray
-pour entire contents of bowl into pan and even out
-sprinkle the other 4oz of mozzarella and parmesan evenly on top
-bake covered for 30 min
-uncover and bake for another 10 min
-ENJOY!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/deacsoft/twoplustwo/IMG_0957.jpg

Alobar
12-19-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Baked Ziti ala Soprano

ingredients
16oz ziti pasta
15oz ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

directions
-preheat oven to 350
-bake covered for 30 min
-ENJOY!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, when I first saw the pic of that, I thought you had made a cheetos casseroll.

12-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Looked to me like a ton of the mozarella sticks from Arby's.

geormiet
12-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Salmon with wasabe sauce

Take a salmon filet and coat both sides with sesame seeds. Heat about a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan, and sear the salmon on both sides until it is cooked all the way through, about 10 mins total. (look at the sides to see when it's done)

For the sauce mix about a teaspoon of wasabe (you can use powdered wasabe which you mix with water) with about 2 tablespoons of cream. Add more or less wasabe/cream until it has a nice consistency.

Put the salmon on a plate, and pour the sauce over the salmon.

This is a really good, easy dish that tastes and looks hard to make.

12-19-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
twoblacknines PB & J
2 slices bread
some peanut butter
enjoy

[/ QUOTE ]
Strawbetty jelly > Grape Jelly, and Blueberry is in a class all its own.

[/ QUOTE ]
Strawberry is better on toast with butter. PB&J requires Grape

CrazyEyez
12-19-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree with the optional part.

Blarg
12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Nah, gimme strawberry jam with peanut buttah.

jba
12-20-2005, 12:14 AM
jba's sweet potatoes with onions

I like sweet potatoes but I'm not a big fan of the super sweet way they are typically prepared.

preheat oven to 400F

4-5 good sized sweet potatoes peeled/washed/cubed (1 in. cubes)
1 pkg lipton onion soup mix
2 tbsp vegetable oil

mix potatoes, oil, and dry soup mix (don't actually mix up the soup) in a covered bowl. shake the [censored] out of it.

pour potatoes onto nonstick baking sheet. cook for 25-30 mins or until potatoes are browned.

Enjoy!

SeaSiren
12-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Ok, here's the Siren's 'Fab Pork Tenderloin Stew'.(easy)
Got a crockpot? You're not gonna believe how tender!

1-1/2 lb pork tenderloin (cut into 1" cubes)
2 big onions (chopped)
a bunch of garlic (4-5 cloves)
1 28oz can of stewed tomatos
Big can of sweet potatoes (or candied yams) - this is key!
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup of white wine
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cilantro
1 tsp salt

In frypan sautee onions and garlic then remove.
Dust pork cubes in a little flour then brown in pan.
Then toss EVERYTHING all together into crockpot and walk away for at least 4 hours (I usually crock-it for 8!)

An excellent winter stew! Enjoy /images/graemlins/wink.gif

astroglide
12-20-2005, 01:28 AM
wow, that opening paragraph is just pathetic. i can't believe you actually typed that out.

UncleSalty
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
UncleSalty's Soon to be Famous Red Hot Chili
1/2 C each: Black Beans, Pinto Beans, Kidney or Small Red Beans (Or 1.5C of any beans you choose) Alternatively, use 2-3 small cans of any beans you like.
1.5 large or 2 medium yellow onions
1 Large can Diced tomatoes
1/2 lb Ground Buffalo
1/4 lb Chorizo Sausage
1/4 lb cubed beef (stew meat or similar)
3 Poblano Peppers
1 Anaheim Pepper
1 Jalepeno
2 T. minced garlic
5 T. Ground Cumin (or to taste)
Ground Chile Powder. (I don't use a premixed Chili powder like you find in the store, I go to the Mexican Food section and get one or two different types of ground chiles in those little packets. I think I use Chile California, and some other kind but I don't remember what it is called.)
Salt to taste

Soak the beans in a pot of water overnight. Rinse and sort to get rid of any stones or dirt. Cover in 2-3 inches of fresh water in a pot and bring to a simmer. Cook slowly for about 2.5-3 hours until beans are tender.

In the mean time, dice onion and all peppers into small squares. (Discard seeds) Put peppers and onion in a stock pot over medium/low heat, sautee vegetables in a bit of olive oil. Add garlic and a tablespoon of salt or so. At the same time, combine all of the meat in a skillet and cook over medium heat until everything is browned. Drain fat if necessary and set aside until ready to add to stock pot.

Add remaining spices to the vegetables. I guess about 2 T. each of the chile powders and 3-5 T. of the cumin is about right. I always just eyeball it and judge by color and smell.

Add the meat and tomatoes to the stock pot. Bring to a simmer. Taste after about 5-10 minutes of simmering and correct spices. Usually I find that there is plenty of heat and just need to add salt or cumin. Add the beans and simmer for at least another 15 minutes.

Total prep time = about 45 minutes. Total cooking time = about 1 hour or more. (Except for cooking the beans which takes longer. Use canned if you are in a hurry, but rinse all that goop off of them.)

12-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Gazpacho (http://www.ccsn.nevada.edu/pa/press/gazpacho.html)

patrick_mcmurray
12-20-2005, 05:52 AM
My family's ever popular pasta dish

The key is the sauce which could not be simpler. Chop and fry some onions. Chop tomatoes (removing skins optional). Grill and chop bacon. Put together in pan for 20 mins. Add pepper and hot sauce to taste.

Serve with pasta and lots of grated cheddar cheese on top. And possibly a fried egg.

Simple but really good.

MrFeelNothin
12-20-2005, 06:19 AM
from allrecipes.com, my favorite dish:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 (3/4 pound) pork tenderloins
* 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
* 1/4 cup chopped green olives
* 1/4 cup dry white wine
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 cup heavy cream

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pork on all sides in the skillet.
2. Mix the tomatoes, olives, wine, rosemary, and garlic in a bowl. Pour over the pork. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place skillet with pork in the preheated oven, and bake 30 minutes, to a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees F (72 degrees C).
4. Remove pork from skillet, leaving remaining tomato mixture and juices. Place skillet over medium heat, and gradually mix in the cream. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until thickened. Slice pork, and drizzle with the cream sauce to serve.

I add mushrooms cuz I like em and I also double the sauce and serve some over wide egg noodles. Enjoy.

adsman
12-20-2005, 06:29 AM
My Italian girlfriends grandmothers pasta sauce.

Ingredients
1kg mince
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 sticks of celery
3 cans of diced tomatoes
red wine
1 litre of stock, (I just make my own with some left over vegetables)
2 cloves of garlic
rosemary and thyme

Dice the vegetables very finely. This is the hardest bit. Little tiny cubes. Heat a pot with the best extra virgin olive oil you've got. When hot cook the celery and onion togther. When well cooked but not brown, add the carrot. Lower the heat and simmer this without burning it for as long as you can, (15-20 minutes, the longer the better)

Add the mince and stir until browned. Keep stirring until all the juices have evaporated and the mixture is very dry and hot. This is key. You don't want to burn it but It has to be dry. Make a little hole in the center and wait a moment to see if any liquid appears. If there is still liquid, keep cooking the fecker.
When it's dry and hot and ready to go bad, add some red wine, a cup should do it. You want the wine to evaporate, leaving the taste of the wine behind. Add the cans of tomatoes and about half the stock. Bring to a boil and simmer.
After a couple of hours, (add more stock progressively as it evaporates) pour about a cup and a half of that really good olive oil into a seperate pot. Add the whole garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme. Simmer this over a low heat for about half an hour. Leave to cool. Add the oil to the sauce. Simmer for another hour or so. Leave to sit, (I usually eat it the next day)

Real Italian grandmothers know best.

gmrankin
12-20-2005, 10:05 AM
My ex used to make this for me... its grub (from www.recipezaar.com (http://www.recipezaar.com))

Tavern on the Green's Chicken Francais

4(6ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
flour, for dredging
2 fluid ounces clarified unsalted butter, see note
8 fluid ounces white wine
2 small shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt
white pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons dijon-style whole grain mustard
4 fluid ounces heavy cream

1. Note: To make clarified butter, slowly melt a stick of unsalted butter until the milk solids melt to the bottom of the pan; skim foam off the top and use only the clear golden liquid.
2. Pound chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap to make uniform thickness for even cooking.
3. Dredge chicken breasts in flour, shaking off excess.
4. Heat clarified butter in sauté skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Place chicken in pan and sauté until cooked halfway through, about three minutes; reduce heat to medium.
6. Turn chicken over and add minced shallots and garlic; cook for one minute until you can smell the aroma of garlic, and then add wine to deglaze pan.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Add mustard and stir into sauce; let sauce cook for two minutes to reduce, and then add heavy cream.
9. Let sauce cook for another two minutes to thicken sauce slightly.
10. Serve with chardonnay.

tonypaladino
12-20-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My family's ever popular pasta dish

The key is the sauce which could not be simpler. Chop and fry some onions. Chop tomatoes (removing skins optional). Grill and chop bacon. Put together in pan for 20 mins. Add pepper and hot sauce to taste.

Serve with pasta and lots of grated cheddar cheese on top. And possibly a fried egg.

Simple but really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

::vomit:::

Gunny Highway
12-20-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, okay. I do this by sight, so it's hard to describe quantities. But I'll try.

Blarg's Cream Cheese Eggs

2 tbsp butter or margarine
1/4 bar of Philly Cream Cheese or equivalent
5 eggs

In a small saucepot, drop margarine cut into small bits and let melt over very low heat. Do not let it brown! When melted, add cream cheese cut into thin bits or slices to aid in quick melting. If necessary, tip saucepot on its edge to let cream cheese melt without browning butter. Whisk together eggs in a bowl while waiting. When cream cheese is melted, stir to thoroughly mix with melted butter. Pour whisked eggs into butter and melted cream cheese mixture and mix together rapidly with heat proof spoon. Stir occasionally until scrambled, but not dry, taking care not to let eggs brown.

Serve with toast.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds awesome. This weekend, I'll be having this.

gmrankin
12-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Hooters Buffalo Wings from www.topsecretrecipes.com (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
always a hit~~ uummm miss the girls though

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup franks hot sauce
1 dash pepper, Ground
1 dash garlic powder
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 chicken wings
bleu cheese salad dressing
celery
vegetable oil, for frying

1. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees.
2. You want just enough oil to cover the wings entirely -- an inch or so deep at least. Combine the butter, hot sauce, ground pepper, and garlic powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat until the butter is melted and the ingredients are well blended.
3. Combine the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
4. If the wings are frozen, be sure to defrost and dry them.
5. Put the wings into a large bowl and sprinkle the flour mixture over them, coating each wing evenly.
6. Put the wings in the refrigerator for 60 to 90 minutes.
7. (This will help the breading to stick to the wings when fried.) Put all the wings into the hot oil and fry them for 10 to 15 minutes or until some parts of the wings begin to turn dark brown.
8. Remove the wings from the oil to a paper towel to drain.
9. But don't let them sit too long, because you want to serve the wings hot. Quickly put the wings into a large bowl.
10. Add the hot sauce and stir, coating all the wings evenly.
11. You could also use a large plastic container with a lid for this.
12. Put all the wings inside the container, add the sauce, put on the lid, then shake. Serve with Bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks on the side.

xadrez
12-20-2005, 11:27 AM
[censored] awesome Bolognese Sauce

I eye everything so sorry no measurements. My instructions will make a lot but thats OK since it freezes well. Esp. good for making lasagna with, just on plain pasta, or homemade pizza. Also, youll need one of those old fashion table top meat grinders. Here goes...

Youll need

-6 garlic cloves
-1 1/2 lrg. red onion
-4 carrots
-4 celery stalks
-1 pound prosciutto NOT SLICED, but in a chunk cut off bone
-1/2 pound back bacon, again in a chunk, not sliced
-1/2 lean ground beef
-4 fresh tomatoes
-2 large cans of whole peeled tomatoes
-1/2 cup red wine
-salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil

Directions

-Chop up the onions, and the garlic and set aside

-Put the carrots, celery stalks, prociutto, and back bacon through the meat grinder (in absence of meat grinder you can use a food processor or a blender but the sauce wont be as chunky and you have to do it a little bit at a time thus making it more time consuming).

-Mix the grinded carrots and celery and set aside.

-Mix the grinded prociutto and bacon and set aside.

-cut up the tomatoes and set aside

-In a large pot, heat some olive oil and throw in the onions and garlic, then the carrots and celery.

-Sautee those vegetables for a little while until theyre cooked, and then toss in the prosciutto, back bacon, and ground beef. Stir the ingedients and cook the meat through.

-Once the meat is cooked add the tomatoes (fresh and canned) into the mixture along with the salt, pepper and red wine.

-Once the sauce begins to boil set the stove to simmer and cook for several hours. Stir often, and mash the tomatoes up as you go along.

Shajen
12-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Shajen's spaghetti and meat sauce: (I prefer to use a pressure cooker for this recipe)

2/3rds of a lb ground beef
1/2 lb italian sausage
half of one red onion-chopped
6 garlic cloves-minced
1 cup celery-finely chopped
1 cup water
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons sugar
tabasco to taste
salt and pepper to taste
16 ounce diced tomatoes (I don't use the entire can, you can tell how much to use based on the meat in the sauce)

brown the sausage and ground beef. Add the onion and garlic about half way through, drain and put in the pressure cooker.

Add the remainder of the ingredients minus the tomato paste. Cook in the pressure cooker until the regulator is rocking back and forth for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool the cooker rapidly by placing under luke warm water until it is safe to remove the lid.

Add the tomato paste and stir til it thickens.

Cook the spaghetti noodles as directed.

This is really good and takes about 30 minutes total time if you have any sort of culinary skill.

12-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Pan fried salmon

1. coat salmon fillet with olive oil
2. sprinkle salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes on top
3. fry in skillet, medium heat until it flakes off with a fork
4. squeeze lemon on top if you want

goes well with this

1. cook spaghetti
2. toss in strainer with olive oil until coated
3. add red pepper flakes and lemon juice, toss to coat

Will try to think of more later.

ScottieK

xadrez
12-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Some simple and really good soups I learned from my Portuguese grandmother

[ QUOTE ]

1)Shrimp Soup

Youll need:

-1 LB of med. size shrimp RAW AND IN THE SHELL
-flour
-1 yellow onion
-extra virgin olive oil
-heavy cream
-salt, pepper

Directions:

-Shell and clean the shrimp. Save all the shells and tails. Cut the shrimp into little pieces.

-Mince about 3/4 of the large white onion. And I mean mince as small as humanely possible.

-Fill a smallish pot and throw in the shells and tails to make a quick stock. Boil the water down until its about 1/4 full (+/- 30 minutes).

-In another pot, get the olive oil super hot, and throw in the minced onion. Keep the flame high and brown the onion, then throw in the shrimp.

-Once the Shrimp cooks (about 2 minutes tops), pour in the stock along with some more water to fill the pan. Bring this to a boil then set to simmer

-Pour the flour into a dry frying pan, and turn the heat on low until its "toasted". You can tell when it is by how it smells ("toasty").

-Mix in the toasted flour and some dabs of heavy cream until it thickens to your desired level. Reduce a little while longer and youre set.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Alentejano Soup

Youll need:

-8 garlic cloves
-1 yellow onion
-1/2 baguette
-1 bunch cilantro
-several eggs
-extra virgin olive oil
-salt pepper

Directions:

-Mince onion FINE

-Crush, the chop the garlic

-Cut the baguette into 1 inch cubes

-chop the cilantro fine

-Put the olive oil in a pot and get super hot, throw in the onion and garlic.

-Once it browns fill the pot with water, and add the cilantro and bread.

-Bring this to a raging boil, and when you serve each portion into a bowl quickly drop an egg into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Cod Fish Acorda

Youll need:

-1/2 lb dried, salted cod
-1 yellow onion
-5 garlic cloves
-1 bunch parsley
-4 tomatoes
-1/2 baguette

Directions:

-Keep the cod in a bowl of water overnight, and change the water every couple hours (this recipe is meant for using with leftover cod or scraps, but whatever you need to do this before eating the dried cod).

-Chop the tomotoes, mince the onions, garlic, and parsley

-Dice the baguette into 1 inch cubes

-Heat olive oil in a pan, and throw in minced onion and garlic.

-Chop up the cod into as small pieces as possible (again, ideally the cod will be precooked as this is usually made with leftovers).

-Add the chopped cod and chopped tomatoes, diced baguette, and parsley

-Add a small amount of water, about 1/4 of the pot and boil down a slight bit. This soup is meant to be eaten with minimal water actually. Its more of a "wet" dish or stew I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

nolanfan34
12-20-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Baked Ziti ala Soprano

ingredients
16oz ziti pasta
15oz ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

directions
-preheat oven to 350
-bake covered for 30 min
-ENJOY!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, when I first saw the pic of that, I thought you had made a cheetos casseroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would be awesome, I'd imagine.

Gunny Highway
12-20-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would be awesome, I'd imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man. That reminds me of when I was a kid. I used to make Cheeto Pies.

Ingredients"
1 small bag Cheetos
1 can wolf brand chili
1 big hunka velveeta

- Cut open one end of the bag of Cheetos.
- Heat chili in microwave.
- Melt cheese in microwave.
- Fill the bag of Cheetos to the top with chili and cheese.

The more common variation is of course the Frito Pie, but I always preferred Cheetos.

webmonarch
12-20-2005, 02:27 PM
This:

[ QUOTE ]
For a guy with an IQ of 156

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly deserves this:

[ QUOTE ]
Nice brag post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even assuming that you are smart, which is questionable, given your need to tell us, your IQ has about zero relevance to your question. So why tell us? Ziti too small?

samjjones
12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Baked Ziti ala Soprano

ingredients

[/ QUOTE ]
There is nothing OPTIONAL about this...

noggindoc
12-20-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For a guy with an IQ of 156 I can't <font color="blue"> seem to start a thread without a really ignorant sentence</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Hellrazor
12-20-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For a guy with an IQ of 156

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty low score for those online IQ tests. No wonder you can't cook.

MonkeeMan
12-20-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For a guy with an IQ of 156 I can't cook anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd question those test results.

deacsoft
12-20-2005, 05:06 PM
For all of you who seem to have issues with my opening sentence and/or paragraph... WOW! It seems I need to find a different way to poke a little fun at myself. If i felt like waving my d!@k around in arrogance I'd probably just have a different thread titled "Hey, I'm more smart than you" and be sure to include many pics with the "attention whore" caption. Again... WOW. I had no idea you guys were so sensative. But I guess the secondary purpose was served as least. The main thing you need in an induction paragraph is a good attention getter. So I guess I nailed that one.

deacsoft
12-20-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Baked Ziti ala Soprano

ingredients

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to let any of those who don't eat meat know that it can be made without it. I would never choose not to add the meat.

edtost
12-20-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Baked Ziti ala Soprano

ingredients

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

personally, i would replace it with pieces of meatballs, but some meat product is necessary.

deacsoft
12-20-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, here's the Siren's 'Fab Pork Tenderloin Stew'.(easy)
Got a crockpot? You're not gonna believe how tender!

1-1/2 lb pork tenderloin (cut into 1" cubes)
2 big onions (chopped)
a bunch of garlic (4-5 cloves)
1 28oz can of stewed tomatos
Big can of sweet potatoes (or candied yams) - this is key!
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup of white wine
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cilantro
1 tsp salt

In frypan sautee onions and garlic then remove.
Dust pork cubes in a little flour then brown in pan.
Then toss EVERYTHING all together into crockpot and walk away for at least 4 hours (I usually crock-it for 8!)

An excellent winter stew! Enjoy /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have her make this soon... sounds awesome.

deacsoft
12-20-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UncleSalty's Soon to be Famous Red Hot Chili

[/ QUOTE ]

I love tasting different kinds of chili... this will also be tried very soon.

12-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Ron Burgundy's kickass lemon bars.

For the crust:

1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 5/8 cup flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Put the ingredients in a bowl and mix them together with your hands until the butter is all broken up into little pieces and the mixture has a crumbly consistency. Or if you're a wuss and don't want to get your hands dirty, you can pulse it in a food processor.

Pour and press down evenly into a 13x9 inch baking pan.

Put it in a preheated 350* oven for 16-18 minutes, or until it starts to get brown around the edges.

For the filling:

3 tablespoons of flour
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
The juice of 2 lemons (don't blame me if you use that RealLemon bottled crap and it turns out tasting bad.)
The zest of 1 lemon

Whisk these ingredients together in a bowl.

When the crust is done, take it out and pour the lemon mixture into the pan. Put it back in the oven for 20 minutes.

12-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Flourless Chocolate Cake (from the TV show Americas Test Kitchen)

8 eggs
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate (The quality of chocolate you use will make or break this cake. I use Ghiradelli because it's the easiest to find, but I also like Callebaut and Scharffen Berger. Scharffen Berger has a strong flavor that you may or may not like, so taste it by itself first.)
1/4 cup of strong coffee or liqueur is optional; I don't use either

Preheat oven to 325*. Line the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the sides. Cover the pan underneath and along the outsides with aluminum foil. Set the wrapped pan in a roasting pan.

Beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high until they double in volume, about 5 minutes.

Melt the chocolate and butter (and coffee or liqueur) in a double boiler. When all the chocolate is melted, pour it into the egg bowl about 25% at a time, and mix it in. If you pour it all in at once, you might cook the eggs and they would get scrambled, which is bad.

Pour the batter into the springform pan and smooth it out with a spatula. Pour some boiling water into the roasting pan so that it comes up to at least 1/3 of the way up the sides of the springform pan. Make sure the foil wrapping will prevent water from getting into the cake from the bottom.

Bake for 20-25 minutes if you have an 8-inch springform pan, and 18-20 minutes for a 9-inch pan. When you take it out, it will not look like it's done, but that's how it's supposed to look. Take it out of the roasting pan and let it cool. You could eat it now, but it's better if it refrigerates for a few hours or overnight.

When it's ready to serve, you can sprinkle some powdered suger over the top if you want it to look nice and fancy. Serve it with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

This cake is better than conventional cake with flour because flour really gets in the way of the chocolate flavor.

patrick_mcmurray
12-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Keep these coming guys!! I am just about to make the zito bake by the way. Unable to find Italian sausage here in Northern Ireland so have gone with chorizo instead : ) can't wait

sublime
12-20-2005, 08:43 PM
For all of you who seem to have issues with my opening sentence and/or paragraph... WOW! It seems I need to find a different way to poke a little fun at myself.

posting you have an IQ of 156 is poking fun at yourself?

astroglide
12-21-2005, 03:13 AM
this one's in the bag

enjoy, deac!

Talk2BigSteve
12-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Big Steve's Pizza in a Pot

2 pounds of Pasta(I like bowties but hey I'm a sissy)
1 pound Ground Beef
1 pound of Italian Sausage
1 bag of pepperoni(whatever the oz are something less than 1 pound I don't measure when I cook)
2 jars of pizza sauce(Make sure it is Pizza and not Spagetti sause)
3 cups of Mozzerella cheese
1 small can of sliced mushrooms*
1 green pepper sliced and diced*
1/2 onion sliced and diced*
1 small can of black olives sliced*
2 tablespoons of butter.
oregano and basil to taste
Parmesan Cheese

1. Boil the Noodles in a large pot of water(with salt and a small amount of cooking oil, helps to prevent sticking).

2. Saute the uncooked vegetables in the butter in a pan.

3. Brown the Ground beef and Italian sausage in a large pan and drain off the grease when fully cooked.

4. Combine the Cooked Vegtables, the Canned Vegetables, the Sauce, the Pepperoni, and the oregano and basil into the Ground Beef and Italian Sausage.

5. When the pasta is cooked, drain it, and combine and mix the two pots adding the Mozerella cheese, put a lid on it and let it stand for 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.

6. Serve it up and shake on some Parmesan cheese.

*Add or Subtract your favorite Pizza toppings (this is just how I make it)

Makes: 137 Oompa Loompas size servings.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

dankhank
12-21-2005, 05:43 PM
this is my simple recipe for what i call cajun chicken. it is very tasty imo and i have been making it for years:

get a chicken breast and a bottle of paul prudhomme's cajun magic for poultry (there are several types). cover one side of the chicken breast with the cajun magic and rub it in. then cover the other side and rub it in. you don't really need to rub it in much, just enough so the seasoning doesn't fall off when you flip it.

one bottle of cajun magic should be enough for 4-5 chicken breasts assuming you really douse them like me.

you can either grill this for about six minutes on each side, or broil it an oven for about nine minutes on each side. grilling tastes a bit better but is not always possible.

goes great with rice or potatoes or just all by itself on a plate

aragorn_i
12-21-2005, 06:05 PM
2 chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
2 egg
3 tbs milk
3/4 cup flour
3/4 unseasoned bread crumbs
Italian seasoning
xtra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
2 cans 28oz peeled whole tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella(should be packed in water)
Fresh parmesan cheese
Teaspoon chopped garlic

Pour enough olive oil in large frying pan to cover the bottom of the pan 1 inch deep,heat on medium.Pound the defrosted chicken till it is flat.Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl combine eggs and milk, season with italian seasoning.Pour flour out into large dish season with italian seasoning.Pour out bread crumbs into large dish season with italian seasoning

Coat chicken in the flour,shake dry.Coat chicken in the egg wash.Coat chicken in the bread crumbs.Fry the chicken on both sides about 5-7 minutes each side.Remove from the oil and place on paper towels.

In a large stew pot pour a small amount of olive oil.Heat on medium for 3-4 minutes.Put chopped garlic into oil, stir for 1 minute.Add both cans of tomatoes,crushing the large tomatoes as you stir.Heat to high and boil 5 minutes.Add 2 tablespoons of italian seasoning.Reduce heat to low, cover, and stew for 35 minutes.Add chicken into the pot,cover the breasts in small slices of the mozzarella cheese and cover.Heat for 10 minutes (til cheese is melted).Serve chicken with the tomatoes poured over the breasts, add parmesan and enjoy!

12-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Lou's Chili Dip

Ingradients:
8 oz of cream cheese
can of Hormel Chili or other chili
shredded mexican cheese
dipping chips

spread cream cheese evenly on bottom of tupperware container. pour chili on top of cream cheese, and put a good amount of cheese on top of it, put it in microwave for like a minute or minute and half. Dip those damn chips and enjoy. Good for all times of day.

12-21-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shajen's spaghetti and meat sauce: (I prefer to use a pressure cooker for this recipe)

2/3rds of a lb ground beef
1/2 lb italian sausage
half of one red onion-chopped
6 garlic cloves-minced
1 cup celery-finely chopped
1 cup water
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons sugar
tabasco to taste
salt and pepper to taste
16 ounce diced tomatoes (I don't use the entire can, you can tell how much to use based on the meat in the sauce)

brown the sausage and ground beef. Add the onion and garlic about half way through, drain and put in the pressure cooker.

Add the remainder of the ingredients minus the tomato paste. Cook in the pressure cooker until the regulator is rocking back and forth for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool the cooker rapidly by placing under luke warm water until it is safe to remove the lid.

Add the tomato paste and stir til it thickens.

Cook the spaghetti noodles as directed.

This is really good and takes about 30 minutes total time if you have any sort of culinary skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a disgrace to sauce...i hope this is a joke

patrick_mcmurray
12-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Looks great aragorn_i - what do you call it??