PDA

View Full Version : Old Timers: Post some of your old favorite OOT threads from pre-05

pokerdirty
12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
All of this Post of the Year stuff is making me wonder what it was like before I got here. With how you old guys talk about the 'old OOT', post some links in here so the new guys (reged 05ers) can see what you are talking about.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif,

P. Dirty

Voltron87
12-19-2005, 08:34 PM
i think you missed all of the dead stuff. that was hilarious IMO.

B Dids
12-19-2005, 08:36 PM
if the "Dead" stuff is the height of sold school OOT, you're like missing the point.

It was really more that there wasn't one classic thread, just a lot of random good ones, mostly because threads didn't expload into 2000 post epics because everybody had to get their "OMG" in as part of the thread.

kipin
12-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Dids pwns thread.

Again.

pokerdirty
12-19-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if the "Dead" stuff is the height of sold school OOT, you're like missing the point.

It was really more that there wasn't one classic thread, just a lot of random good ones, mostly because threads didn't expload into 2000 post epics because everybody had to get their "OMG" in as part of the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure there are examples?

pokerdirty
12-19-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am Dead, you didn't hear?

Voltron87
12-19-2005, 08:41 PM
dids doesnt pwn [censored], i never said the dead stuff was the height of anything just that it was hilarious.

istewart
12-19-2005, 08:43 PM
When sports were still posted here and Dead got owned the first night of March Madness, OOT was a rockin'.

Toro
12-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Sports was still here in 2004, I think. The ALCS threads were great.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha!

I'm glad to say I didn't see BBQ as part of any exclamation in OOT ever until very recently.

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]yes, that ALCS was so illllllll!!!!!! Damn those sox@!

pokerdirty
12-19-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

..l..

B Dids
12-19-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dids doesnt pwn [censored], i never said the dead stuff was the height of anything just that it was hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the reason why I pwned.

The thing that was cool about old OOT was that you saw the more human side of a lot of strat posters. Their thoughts on baseball, politics, food, stuff like that. It was much smaller, much more mature, and a lot less prone to pointless arguments about who owned who.

It changed a lot once OOT grew native posters who didn't really post elsewhere, inasmuch as it resembled the "random" forum on virtually every other message board on the internet.

All the threads these days that are "classic" tend to get that way because there's a ton of posts saying "this thread is classic" in each thread and not a lot of context.

Right now we've got a 30000000 post myspace thread that is basically people oggling chicks, sharing weak attempts to pick girls up and not getting laid (and me pimping the best myspace page ever). I can see why that's slightly amusing, but it's not exactly the height of discourse.

If forced to pick a thread, it might be "How Many 5 Year Olds" but I think even that is a little new for what I'd consider the best days of OOT (which of course was really just "OT" then).

Voltron87
12-19-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing that was cool about old OOT was that you saw the more human side of a lot of strat posters. . .

It changed a lot once OOT grew native posters who didn't really post elsewhere, inasmuch as it resembled the "random" forum on virtually every other message board on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough, this makes a lot of sense.

lighterjobs
12-19-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When sports were still posted here and Dead got owned the first night of March Madness, OOT was a rockin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hated when sports and oot were in the same forum. every weekend there were a million "official sports" threads.

Blarg
12-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Sports ruined OOT as bad as anything that ever happened to it. The pages would fly by filled with endless sports trivia and rah rah for this team, your team sucks kinda crap. It was at least as flatulent as OOT has ever been, and basically pushed all of the other content into the obscurity of back pages constantly and close enough to instantly.

Clarkmeister
12-20-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sports ruined OOT as bad as anything that ever happened to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. That was Politics. There basically was no OOT until the Israel forum got created.

IndieMatty
12-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Listen to Dids.

The AL Series thread in 04 and the "Pick GOT's Avatar" thread were OOfuckingT.

Edit: And the night TSC hit 10k posts is probably my favorite OOT event of all time. It was oddly surreal.

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Listen to Dids.

The AL Series thread in 04 and the "Pick GOT's Avatar" thread were OOfuckingT.

Edit: And the night TSC hit 10k posts is probably my favorite OOT event of all time. It was oddly surreal.

[/ QUOTE ]yes, all three of these were awesome.

Trivia question for the masses: What was the avatar and loc that won the GoT contest?

pryor15
12-20-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he would have been around for that b/c i remember him well and we've been around roughly the same amount of time.

durron597
12-20-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're not, Homer was Dead.

sublime
12-20-2005, 03:43 AM
if you think about it, dead was a trendsetter. he was [censored] and *** before there was a [censored], or *** in place.

pokerdirty
12-20-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're not, Homer was Dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been told by most of the Sports forum, and other OOTers that they think I'm Dead. Of course I'm not. I'm not that creative.

mason55
12-20-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you think about it, dead was a trendsetter. he was [censored] and *** before there was a [censored], or *** in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of miss that guy. He was like the one armed man to everyone else's Fugitive.

Clarkmeister
12-20-2005, 12:40 PM
I love everyone acting like Dead was part of the glory days as opposed to just another retard in the pretty recent history of OOT.

mason55
12-20-2005, 12:44 PM
I thought it was entertaining how worked up everyone got over him. I am from mid-04 and don't know [censored] about "the glory days" but it seems like Dead was probably the beginning of the end? Although he was probably almost singlehandedly responsible for user mods.

Clarkmeister
12-20-2005, 12:50 PM
BTW, I don't buy into the "glory days" crap - just kind of responding to the tone of the thread. (O)OT has been around for forever, not just 2 years.

For the record, there's plenty going on now that is just as good, and frequently better than "the old days", both here and in the strategy forums. There are 20x the users, how can there not be?

nolanfan34
12-20-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trivia question for the masses: What was the avatar and loc that won the GoT contest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure it was a My Little Pony avatar, and the loc was "having my first period".

Clarkmeister
12-20-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure it was a My Little Pony avatar, and the loc was "having my first period".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to say I had something to do with that.

sfer
12-20-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was. That avatar ruled.

12-20-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I don't buy into the "glory days" crap - just kind of responding to the tone of the thread. (O)OT has been around for forever, not just 2 years.

For the record, there's plenty going on now that is just as good, and frequently better than "the old days", both here and in the strategy forums. There are 20x the users, how can there not be?

[/ QUOTE ]

The signal to noise ratio might me the same, but it can take a while to sift through it these days just because there is so much of it. We also don't get nearly enough Zee as we did a couple of years back. This used to be his forum: zee. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=329527&an=0&page=660&vc)

ThaSaltCracka
12-20-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I came up with that mutha too, I pwn.