PDA

View Full Version : Crushing...did I trap myself?

KOS
07-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Party 3/6 game last night, a little tighter than usual. I'm having a bad night, catching cold cards and playing weak tight because I have that nagging feeling that I'm gonna get rivered more often than not.

In EP, I get 33 and limp, one raiser behind me and I call, 5 or 6 of us see the flop.

Flop comes 366 - a nice boat for me - I think I was the second to act at this point, and I checked, with the intention of check-raising. That plan worked just fine, I raise and get two callers.

Turn is a 5, I bet and player to my left calls, button raises (he was not on the button on the deal, but is now last to act) I reraise, MP player mucks, and button caps.

River K - no flush possibility on the board, I bet he calls...

Any thoughts?

Ed Miller
07-23-2003, 08:19 AM
Any thoughts?

I think you lost since you are posting this hand. I also think you played just fine and shouldn't worry about it.

KOS
07-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I guess the thread topic kind of gave away the results...

but he flips up 55 for a bigger boat on the turn.

Festus22
07-23-2003, 08:31 AM
I think you played it fine. The only hands you're behind after the turn are 6-6, 6-5 or 5-5. You probably would have heard from 6-6 after your flop CR and would a 6-5s have called two bets PF? I guess your opponent had maybe A-4s with a four flush and got a bit carried away with the semi-bluff, a 6 or a 5.

Edit: Or maybe he really did have 5-5.

Joe Tall
07-23-2003, 08:34 AM
I'm having a bad night, catching cold cards and playing weak tight because I have that nagging feeling that I'm gonna get rivered more often than not.

Take a break!

The preflop limp is marginal, however, in these games it's almost right to play any pocket pair.

Flop: I like the play.

Turn: Ouch, looks like he holds, 65s or 55 and has a higher boat.

River: Why not, check/call? He did cap the last street.

Ed Miller
07-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Turn: Ouch, looks like he holds, 65s or 55 and has a higher boat.

River: Why not, check/call? He did cap the last street.

A lot of people would play a 6 with a big kicker this way, especially online where people play like nutjobs, so I'd keep coming. This is another, "I have the nuts, what do I do now?" post. The answer is, and always will be, "Bet and raise."

Joe Tall
07-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Good point.

I should start a thread about answering posts after losing sessions. I had a tough run last night and in my head, seeing the online play as described, I'm still in my session and now I'm postin' weak tight.

Ed Miller
07-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Because he posted the hand, it's obvious he lost. No one posts a hand like this that he won (except for those guys that thought it was funny to run around school saying, "I want to be a junkie when I grow up"). Since I knew he lost, I could easily put his opponent on 55 on the turn. But if I were playing the hand, I would still think I had the best hand by the river. If I got raised again on the river... then I would just call. But when my opponent just calls on the river, I'm expecting to drag this one.

rigoletto
07-23-2003, 10:52 AM
If you don't loose big on a hand like this, you are playing weak! Keep repeating this everytime you run in to a beat with a big hand!

ResidentParanoid
07-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Played fine. See my signature below...

KOS
07-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear that I didn't make any major mistakes, and I know that sometimes bad things can happen to nice hands. I am just very frustrated at the prospects of playing $0.50/$1 again.

asdf1234
07-23-2003, 01:14 PM
There's not a damn thing you can do about this. If you flop a boat and lose to a bigger one, that's just a beat that happens every now and then and there will be significant damage to your stack. I would start to wonder, however, after he caps on the turn, whether I'm behind. I'd bet the river and just call if raised. When he just calls the river, I'd assume that I'm going to win, but I guess it makes sense since he was also afraid of sixes full.