PDA

View Full Version : Floor!! How would you call this?

zooey
07-23-2003, 03:37 AM
On the flop, Player A bets, I raise. While player B contemplates a call, player C to his left says under his breath, but loud enough for me (and the dealer) to hear: "Save it, I'm going to three-bet."

Player B folds, Player C, true to his word, three bets. I stop the action and call the floor. What's a good ruling here?

I don't think the it should be relevant, but for whats it worth, the two young guys had only become pals at the table, and were obviousy not intentionally cheating, or I assume a touch more subtlety would have been used. It was a 5-10 game.

I'll post the results tomorrow.

Best,

Zooey

Dynasty
07-23-2003, 05:43 AM
Player C should get a reprimand and then the hand should be played out.

slamdunkpro
07-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Players B & C should be sent to different tables

Greg (FossilMan)
07-23-2003, 03:26 PM
I guess I'm harsher than the other guys. I would leave the 3-bets in the pot, and kill player C's hand immediately. I would then have him take a walk with me while I explained to him the inappropriateness of his actions. He would then be asked whether he wished to continue playing, by the rules, or wished to pick up his chips and leave.

I would do this away from the table to avoid further embarrassment to him.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

brad
07-23-2003, 08:36 PM
well if its on the river and c has the nuts then you know no harm no foul (unless possible nut/nut chop/chop u know).

otoh, say its on the flop and c would *prefer* b to be out of the pot. then hes run a pretty sharp angle although if he had just said 3 bet or put his chips out then hard to accuse him of it. heh.

Andy B
07-24-2003, 12:55 AM
I think that this is unnecessarily harsh, Greg. I think that there is an excellent chance that the offender had no idea that he was doing anything wrong, and that by making him put in three bets and then killing his hand, there is an excellent chance that you will run him off for good. I'm a stickler for protocol, too, but is this really what you want?

The dealer should have spoken up. I would make the three-bet stand, let the hand play out, and give the player a firm warning, explaining why his action was so inappropriate.

zooey
07-24-2003, 06:29 AM
The floor gave him a gentle repremand, and decided he was acting act of turn, and could call but couldn't three bet. All I cared about was that he was made to understand that his comment was not appropriate, but I was surprised at the actual ruling. It seemed to me that killing his hand was an option, as was a simple reprimand, but making him just call seemed kind of strange.

Thanks for the responses. The more I thought about it the more confused I got. Exactly what are we not allowed to say when we're in the hand? Every time I tried to come up with a phrasing for a rule, I could find something that is said (often in jest) in the course of a normal light-hearted game that would break it. Anyone have a html link for a card room rule book that addresses this?

Best,

Zooey

Greg (FossilMan)
07-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Maybe you're right. It is true that when players act out of turn, they're doing the same thing as this guy, and they don't get punished at all.

Of course, I would be a lot harsher on them as well. Especially when they say raise out of turn, get the players in between to fold, and then they just call. Or other such crap. There definitely needs to be a harsher penalty for this type of BS.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

brad
07-24-2003, 11:27 AM
and then turn goes check check check. heh

probably worst possible ruling, because player C wants B out. so best for C is if B folds and now C can just call, etc. etc.

or (ass. on flop) C just thought he might have best hand/ wanted free card/ wanted B out (say C has middle pair) now he can do it without either putting in 3rd bet or face 4 bet from A.

consistent i think is that C *must* 3 bet, is given a warning, etc.

---------------------------
main thing is that if B *doesnt* fold, then by far C's best course of action is to just call (given C's likely holdings from his actions here).

in other words, lets assume C just wanted to call anyway but preferred B out of pot. see how this ruling helped him?

ACBob
07-24-2003, 12:30 PM
zooey,

I think the call by the floorman is to remind the player to "act in turn" as this is the true violation.

Some rooms would limit player C to only call, not reraise.

I cannot see his hand being killed due to the verbal declaration only.

Bob Lewis