PDA

View Full Version : Animals

Zeno
07-23-2003, 03:02 AM
Went fishing tonight and got no fish. Did see the Mother Mallard and her six ducklings again. They are about half grown. Drove home at almost dark and almost hit a damn deer that came running at my truck, had to swerve way out to miss it. Good thing I was driving slowly.

I also saw a bobcat. This is unusual. I have only seen a few my entire life. He zoomed across the road in front of my truck and I got a good look at him in the headlights. He was fairly big, a light colored coat, with furry ears and bobtail. He scooted under a road railing and disappeared fast. Out starting his nightly hunting I bet.

-Zeno

Dr Wogga
07-23-2003, 11:52 AM
.....but knowing the person who told me, I believe it.
Up in Albany NY area last summer and talking with my wife's uncle, an avid hunter, about different animals he's come across up in the Catskill Mountains - he went through a normal litany of deer, bear, fox, turkeys, different birds and small game, all familiar and quite common. But then told me about an early morning trip down one of the many dirt and gravel roads that dot the mountainside when he came across a mountain lion crossing the road. He said the thing that struck him the most was the long tail with the dark end practically touching the ground, and it was a full sized cat with beautiful brown fur. Unmistakeably a mountain lion, and a memory for a lifetime. Would love to have been there myself. It surprises me that a cat would be that far east, as most of the mountain lion population in the U.S. is typically reported to be found out west. I guess with animals you never know.