PDA

View Full Version : Feeding chips to the short stack

Guthrie
12-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I've read several posts here about feeding chips to a short stack in the BB from your SB to keep him alive. Clearly there are times when this has some strategic advantage, but I have yet to find such a situation. Can anyone elaborate?

Hornacek
12-19-2005, 02:31 PM
If you're a HUGE HUGE HUGE stack (that probably will get ITM no matter what) and you can easily steal blinds by pushing all in against the middle stacks.

This works perfectly on the bubble.

For example:

SB You (7000 chips)
BB Shorty (300 chips)
UTG Villain1 (1300 chips)
B Villain2 (1400 chips)

If blinds are 150/300, I might fold the SB to the BB shorty (who is all in). This may mean I can easily push all in the next 2 hands, and the two villains will fold, not wanting to bubble out when shorty is about to bust. Therefore:

-Losing 150 to SB
-Winning 450 x 2 = 900 in stolen blinds.

If this happens for a while, you might end up with 3 shorties, with a huge huge % guarantee of 1st place.

Guthrie
12-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

I had a situation similar to this last night on the bubble, and this may be what he was doing.

The huge stack was on my left. I was second, and there were two short stacks. He was folding his SB, but raising on the button. Very frustrating since he wouldn't let me steal his BB and I didn't want to push from CO with him in the way. He cut down the stack on my right and I finally finished him off myself.