PDA

View Full Version : NYC Foodies: My Lunch, it was HUGE!

jnalpak
12-19-2005, 01:03 PM
My Lunch @ Stage Deli (55th and 7th)

1) Dr. Browns Black Cherry
2) Pastrami & Cornedbeef Overstuffed (mustard on the side)
edit: it comes out HOT too
3) French Fries
4) a few pickles

Someone in my group had a camera on them during lunch today. Being that its a huge tourist spot i had no objections.

Enjoy a pic of a true NY sandwhich in all its glory before i wolfed it down

http://www.jnalpak.com/photos/uncategorized/stage_sandwhich.jpg

PoBoy321
12-19-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure whether I should be nauseous or drooling.

tonypaladino
12-19-2005, 01:07 PM
mmmmmmm

that is all

slickpoppa
12-19-2005, 01:11 PM
What a waste. I need an adequate bread to meat ration in my sandwiches

Gunny Highway
12-19-2005, 01:12 PM
That looks awesome. No rabbit food either. Nice. Please tell us you ate the whole thing.

sfer
12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I like Stage. Their pickles are good and the pastrami flavorful. It's not Katz's but it's good.

I prefer Cel-Ray soda however.

12-19-2005, 01:41 PM
The salad I had for lunch was just as good.

I just keep telling my self that.

**Salad is JUST as good**

kenberman
12-19-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Stage. Their pickles are good and the pastrami flavorful. It's not Katz's but it's good.

I prefer Cel-Ray soda however.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was introduced to cel-ray at 2nd avenue. good stuff.

to whoever said they needed more bread: you can always ask for more, and make 2 sandwiches.

but you're not as manly if you do this.

Hornacek
12-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Katz's is still #1 in NY in my mind though.

"I'll have what she's having."

Aces McGee
12-19-2005, 01:48 PM
That looks awesome. I've never been to New York, but lately I've been craving sandwiches like that.

How much do they cost?

-McGee

istewart
12-19-2005, 01:53 PM
You had me at Dr. Brown's.

sfer
12-19-2005, 01:55 PM
It's about $10 and it comes out hot and steaming. At Katz's, they cut the pastrami in front of you, and they don't use a deli slicer. The guy uses a knife and fork and gives you a small plate with a couple of slices to sample while he makes your sandwich.

tonypaladino
12-19-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's about $10 and it comes out hot and steaming. At Katz's, they cut the pastrami in front of you, and they don't use a deli slicer. The guy uses a knife and fork and gives you a small plate with a couple of slices to sample while he makes your sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anbd you MUST give the guy at least 2 bucks or you will get a wussy ass sandwich.

Hornacek
12-19-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anbd you MUST give the guy at least 2 bucks or you will get a wussy ass sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tipping is not a gratuity there; its kinda just like super-sizing a sandwich.

edtost
12-19-2005, 02:31 PM
drool....

jnalpak
12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much do they cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

$15.00 just for the combo!

YES, i ate the whole thing.
We also had some Ruggalah /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
12-19-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure whether I should be nauseous or drooling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh me too.

jnalpak
12-19-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tipping is not a gratuity there; its kinda just like super-sizing a sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

TIPPING IS A MUST AT KATZ's...
also, make sure you are talking to the guy and he SEE'S you placing the cash in the tip jar. Not only will you get a big sandwhich but you'll get a nice little appetizer too.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. The meat wouldn't be piled so high if the bread wasn't so small.

12-19-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. The meat wouldn't be piled so high if the bread wasn't so small.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I hate New York Delis man. They always put way too much damn meat on the sandwich. It's like eatin' a cow with a cracker on either side... I go in and order a Pastrami sandwich and the guy says:

'Can I get you anything else?'

Yeah, a loaf of bread and some other people!!!"

-Mitch Hedberg

dblgutshot
12-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't even know how to start eating that. That looks amazing!

WackityWhiz
12-19-2005, 04:49 PM
that is awesome. Good call on the avatar, seriously i'm jealous.

guess i'll have to stick with my huge mcdonalds sandwich consisting of 2 double cheeses and 2 mcchickens all at the same time /images/graemlins/grin.gif since i live in iowa and all

jnalpak
12-19-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"I hate New York Delis man. They always put way too much damn meat on the sandwich. It's like eatin' a cow with a cracker on either side... I go in and order a Pastrami sandwich and the guy says:

'Can I get you anything else?'

Yeah, a loaf of bread and some other people!!!"

-Mitch Hedberg

[/ QUOTE ]

RIP!

MaxPower
12-19-2005, 04:53 PM
That is a hell of a sandwich. Those sandwiches exceed the capacity of the rye bread.

The black cherry is a good choice. Substitute a potato knish for the french fries and you have perfection.

Don't they have a stage deli at The Mirage now?

The stage is Ok, but the top delis are 2nd Avenue and Katz's. Katz's for the pastrami and corned beef and 2nd Avenue for all around kosher food (chicken soup, gefilte fish, kasha varnishkas, stuffed cabbage, etc.)

toss
12-19-2005, 05:27 PM
This maybe a stupid question but how do you eat that? My mouth doesn't open that big. Do you only eat the meat until you can fit the sandwhich in your mouth? Do you crush the sandwhich to make it smaller?

jnalpak
12-19-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This maybe a stupid question but how do you eat that? My mouth doesn't open that big. Do you only eat the meat until you can fit the sandwhich in your mouth? Do you crush the sandwhich to make it smaller?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always try the mouth the sandwhich but it never works unless you like mustard moustache ( i dont). After a few attempts i go for the fork and knife.

I'll try the CRUSH method next time i am in the privacy of my own home.

12-19-2005, 06:09 PM
sorry but montreal is unbeatable

slamdunkpro
12-19-2005, 06:21 PM
I've been to the Stage and to Carnegie's, (and yes I googled Katz's- no map) so to all the New Yorkers - Where is Katz's?
(and yes - I know its on the lower East Side on Houston Street) but what is that near? / how would I get there from Penn Station?

MaxPower
12-19-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been to the Stage and to Carnegie's, (and yes I googled Katz's- no map) so to all the New Yorkers - Where is Katz's?
(and yes - I know its on the lower East Side on Houston Street) but what is that near? / how would I get there from Penn Station?

[/ QUOTE ]

Houston and Ludlow.

tonypaladino
12-19-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From Penn Station take the B or D train to Broadway/Lafayette Street

DrNo888
12-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Someone tell me where to get something like this in the Bay Area!!!

Gandor
12-20-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where is Katz's? ... how would I get there from Penn Station?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry Tony, but if he did that, he would never make it out of the station. Take the A train to West 4th and transfer to the F or V train. Take that to 2nd Ave and walk east on Houston.

tonypaladino
12-20-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where is Katz's? ... how would I get there from Penn Station?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry Tony, but if he did that, he would never make it out of the station. Take the A train to West 4th and transfer to the F or V train. Take that to 2nd Ave and walk east on Houston.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bway/Lafayette and 2nd Ave are pretty much the same distance from Katz's. Why take 2 trains when 1 goes strait there?

Analyst
12-20-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone tell me where to get something like this in the Bay Area!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not exist. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

slamdunkpro
12-20-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry Tony, but if he did that, he would never make it out of the station.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? Why? Is it in hell?

NutzyClutz
12-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Avoid the Stage Deli at Taj Atlantic City. I had the most dried out brisket ever. It wasn't even half the size of yours.