PDA

View Full Version : Deep in sat. Raise+call, 99 - do I analyze it correctly?

parre
12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I haven’t been playing much tournament poker the past year, so my game might be a little bit off. This is a 3USD rebuy satellite to the Stars 200+15 500K guaranteed tournament yesterday evening. First, some background info about the tournament:

527 starters, a gazillion rebuys and addons.
About 70-80 players left (I’m sorry, don’t recall the exact number), I am in good chip position – I think I am at about 15th place, though I’m far from being able to fold my way ITM.

I haven’t been at the table for too long, but here’s some background info that might help understand my own table image (in case anyone is paying attention). I’ll try to put as much info as possible in, otherwise the hand histories are pretty useless IMHO:

After the rebuy period I’ve been playing solid poker, except for a short stint of bad plays approximately three orbits ago. During that time, I got caught stealing with T9s but had the odds to call the subsequent push – was up against Q8s and lost. A few hands after that, being shortstacked, I open-pushed with T8 on a J82 flop being shortstacked, KJ called and I sucked out on my five outer. Approximately one orbit later I raise KK, get one call, then an all-in from a shortstack, me and villain both call. The flop comes K88, I check to villain who pots it, I re-raise allin (less than a minraise) and he calls with K4, drawing completely dead.

Six hands ago I isolation-reraised a shortstacks all-in with AQ and it stood against K6.
Four hands ago I tried to steal the blinds with 76s and had to fold to a push.
Two hands ago I raised AKo preflop, got one caller. We checked it to the river and my hand was good against his KT (neither of us improved).

So – my image? I don’t know. Except for the T8-hand, I’ve been showing down more or less quality hands lately. I shouldn’t be known for re-raising and/or raising too light – well, not re-raising at least. AQo is the worst hand I’ve re-raised preflop. I’ve not been limping and not playing too may hands lately.

So, my reads for the villains in this hand (chapgolf2 and adams1):

Chapgolf2 – No real reads. He’s been playing like any half-decent player on a short stack would do, waiting for a chance to steal the blinds and/or double up.
Adams1 – He seems to be playing too loose considering his big stack. In a sattelite, he shouldn’t go out of his way to play hands with his big stack, he has more than enough chips to wait for good steal positions and/or premium hands. He’s been, in my opinion, playing a bit too many hands.

I don’t have a converter available, but I’ll try to make the hand readable anyway.

When this hand starts, I have 70k in chips. Chapgolf2 is short with 34k, adams1 is either the chip leader or among the top 3 with 192k. Blinds at 1500/3000 with a running ante of 150.

Table '16572968 41' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 2: andkan (70432 in chips)

Seat 7: chapgolf2 (33789 in chips)

Seat 9: adams1 (192087 in chips)

andkan: posts small blind 1500
francois413: posts big blind 3000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to andkan [9c 9h]
3 folds
chapgolf2: raises 9000 to 12000
1 fold
adams1: calls 12000
1 fold
So – I have 99. A good holding considering what I assume chapgolf’s range should be at this moment. The chip leader calls. This can either be very good or very bad for me: Very good if I can get him to fold, since I then get 12000+3000+1350 in dead money in. Very bad for me if he has a monster or if I cannot get him to fold. A very dangerous situation, non the less. I can fold and think no more about it – I still have a decent stack and the chance to find a better position later on. On the other hand however, if both fold I increase my stack with around 35%. If chapgolf calls, I’m assuming to have something like 55-60% equity against his range, and with the dead money in the pot from adams1, it’s as good as a spot to gamble that I can find.

If adams1 would make a donkish call with, let’s say KJ or AJ, I have a 50% chance to practically guarantee myself a seat. Granted, all I want, if I were to push, is for him to fold. Worst case scenario? Adams1 has AA/KK, calls, and I have a 20% chance to increase my stack with 120%. However, I have a hard time seeing adams1 calling off such a big chunk of his hand with a marginal holding, after all, I have 70k – that’s a significant portion of his stack as well. Would he really be willing to risk an almost-guaranteed seat with a crapish hand?

I’m thinking that a push is good considering me having 70k and the fold equity I’d have over adams1. I’m also thinking that a push is much worse if I only have 50k – since my fold equity gets severly decreased, if chapgolf calls adams1 is getting great odds to call, gamble and bust two people.

Is my thinking way off?

As you might have understood from my line of thought, I chose:

andkan: raises 57000 to 69000

(Not pushing was of course a missclick. I seem to have been to retarded to push my slider all the way to the right, instead I put in 69 of my 70k in. Well, no big deal. Unless I’d missclick if adams pushes.)

So, basically, what I’m wondering is how my line of thought is and whether my play is good, or should I just fold and wait for a better spot?

12-19-2005, 11:19 AM
How many people get the freeroll, b/c thats pretty important? My first though is that I don't like it Especially in a $3 rebuy. You are getting called a lot of the time here, and even worse one of these guys may have an overpair. I think I fold and find a better spot. Really depends on how many people are paying out and how stupidly people are playing.