PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a set, bet the flop, how did I do?

RockLobster
07-22-2003, 10:12 PM
Online 2/4, I'm dealt 77 in the BB. Pretty Aggressive UTG (PA) limps, MP raises, SB, myself and PA all call. 4 to the flop w/ 8 sb's:

[6-7-3] rb

SB checks, I bet, we lose the PF raiser, others call. 3 to the turn with 11 sb's - rake:

[6-7-3] T completing the rb

SB likes this card and decides to bet. I call, PA raises (yes!), SB calls, I 3-bet, both call. Same 3 to the river, with 14 BB's:

[6-7-3 T] J

I bet, they call. SB had AT for the turned TPTK, PA had 66 for flopped middle set, my flopped top set took the 17 BB pot.

Comments?

pufferfish
07-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Yahoo!

No straight, flopped or drawn buzz killer?

TC,
pf

lil'
07-22-2003, 11:05 PM
my flopped top set took the 17 BB pot.
Comments?

Umm...nice pot?

Clarkmeister
07-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Raise the turn the first time you get a chance. The pot is getting big and a quarter of the deck puts a 4-straight out there on the river.

onegymrat
07-23-2003, 01:18 AM
Rock,
Gotta raise that turn, can't chance losing the extra money. Punish the bettor!

P.S. Poor PA. ha /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Grivan
07-23-2003, 01:24 AM
What was your thinking on calling the turn and then 3 betting? There is no way you could of known that the SB was going to raise. If you think your ahead here you need to raise yourself to get rid of any straight draws (or at least make them pay)this also gives you a way of knowing almost for sure your behind and drawing to the full house if you get 3 bet. If you think you are behind on the turn (which you obviously don't) then don't 3 bet.

RockLobster
07-23-2003, 05:30 AM
What was your thinking on calling the turn and then 3 betting? There is no way you could of known that the SB was going to raise.

Agreed, that was the questionable part. I led out on the flop, but when bet into on the turn I didn't want to lose the guy after me, hence no raise. The last 3 posts (including yours) all advocate raising at the first opportunity on the turn.

I got lucky there, but it's more important that I learn the best way to play this hand.

Thanks all--

RockLobster
07-23-2003, 05:32 AM
Umm...nice pot?

LOL, thanks. The unspecified question was the turn call-reraise. I didn't know that the guy after me would raise the turn. He did, and everything fell into place. But a few people pointed out that I shouldn't have chanced it and should have just raised at my first opportunity.

Take care--

Ed Miller
07-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Agreed, that was the questionable part. I led out on the flop, but when bet into on the turn I didn't want to lose the guy after me, hence no raise.

I see more of this crap on this forum than I can believe. 9 times out of 10, the best move with a hand like this is just to bet your damn hand. The mistake that these turkeys we play with make most is calling when they shouldn't. That includes calling raises cold, even on the turn. Don't get fancy! I guarantee you that you will get plenty of action if you just bet and raise when you think you have a good hand. Geez... the "I have the nuts, what do I do now?" part of poker is really not the hard part. I promise.

RockLobster
07-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Geez... the "I have the nuts, what do I do now?" part of poker is really not the hard part. I promise.

Well since you put it that way, I guess I believe you.

CrackerZack
07-23-2003, 08:51 AM
I'd raise the turn straight out, if checked to I would've bet the turn also as only one player behind you its to possible to be checked through. You can't like an 8 or 9 on the river so fired it up right away. Worked out well though.

CrackerZack
07-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Someone didn't have their morning coffee...

ResidentParanoid
07-23-2003, 09:40 AM
I agree completely. Bet your hand! And if someone else bets, raise. There's nothing to get fancy about 4 handed here.

bernie
07-23-2003, 10:20 AM
"I led out on the flop, but when bet into on the turn I didn't want to lose the guy after me,"

ive seen this a couple times now in threads. you didnt want to lose 1 guy? even if he folds, someone else will make up for his fold easily. that and you cant charge the draws once they miss or make it. the turn is the last card before the hands have absolute value. even if you lose, if someone draws out on you, you still make money on the turn raise. (if youre ahead)

i just dont understand where players are thinking this hand plays like a lock hand. even sets are vulnerable. there is no reason to smooth call on the turn here.

blast away!!! these hands dont come up often enough to miss bets like that. this is where you make the money when youre finally in a hand, you get aggressive with it. hence, tight aggressive?

when you end up folding the next 40 hands you may think about how youd wished youd have bet and made more on that hand.

btw...fun playing with you the other day on UB.

b

RockLobster
07-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Hey b--

I agree with what you wrote, and I'm saving this post (and MajorKong's) in my poker notebook so I won't forget it.

btw...fun playing with you the other day on UB.

Hmmm, wasn't me. I have an account on UB, but I haven't made a cash deposit yet (I just inquired, again, about a deposit bonus). RockLobster was already taken there, so I have a random name.

RockLobster
07-23-2003, 10:27 AM
There's nothing to get fancy about 4 handed here.

Or even 3-handed, as was the case. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Agreed.

bernie
07-23-2003, 10:31 AM
"Hmmm, wasn't me. I have an account on UB, but I haven't made a cash deposit yet (I just inquired, again, about a deposit bonus). RockLobster was already taken there, so I have a random name. "

cool...my mistake. another reason i thought it was you was that festus22 came on the table and the rocklobster guy mentioned 2+2 to him. anyways...hope ta see ya on there sometime...

have a good one..

b

ps..sorry again about the misread of the bad beat on your website. im shopping for rocks again to crawl under. haha /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif