PDA

View Full Version : Single rebuy strategy

cferejohn
07-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Last Sunday I played in the Lucky Chances $100+20 Sunday Evening NL tournament. You start with T1000 and can take one $100 rebuy anytime in the first 4 levels (20 minutes each). The rebuy gets you T1500. Given the fact that you more than double your chips for less than double your entry fee, it seems to me that I'm pretty much taking the rebuy at some point no matter what. The question is, when should I take it. Since I mostly play on Pokerstars and I am not used to rebuys, I decided to take it immediately and just start off with a big stack. I'm not sure this was a great idea, but I don't think it was horrible. I'm curious how others would handle this. Here's a few hands where it was relevant:

Blinds are 50/100. I've got ~3000 chips. Folded to cutoff, who is shortstacked (about 600 chips), but still had his rebuy. He raises to 300. Folded to me in the BB with A6o. Cutoff had been playing a lot of hands and it seemed to me very likely he was stealing, especially since he did not go all-in. Given his short-stack, I re-raised him all-in. He had K7 and I hit 2 6's on the flop to take his chips. If he had taken his rebuy already (i.e. had 2100 chips), I would have folded this without too much thought. But because he had not done so a) I knew that I wasn't risking that much and b) I knew he might be more prone to gamble since he still had his rebuy in front of him.

Blinds 75/150. Folded to me in the SB. I have ~3500. I have 27o. I raise to 450. BB, who has not yet taken his rebuy and has about 1300 in front of him, re-raises me all-in. I actually ended up folding, but I remember thinking that I was very close to having odds to call (in fact I was getting odds if I could be certain he had no overpair). He told me later he had AJ.

2 hands later. Blinds still 75/450. I have ~3000. Folded to me in the cutoff. I have AKs. I raise to 450. BB, who has about 2000, raises all-in (he still has his rebuy, fwiw). I think "he just saw me lay down to a much smaller all-in raise so he figures he can get away with it with a marginal hand". He is unpleasantly surprised when I call, but not nearly as unpleasantly surprised as I am when his QTs makes a broadway on the river. I certainly would not play that hand any other way. However, I was thinking that if I hadn't taken my rebuy, I probably would have just gone all-in for about 1500 (with my rebuy still in front of me), and I doubt he would have called.

Any thoughts?

Greg (FossilMan)
07-23-2003, 04:48 PM
On individual hands, it can go either way (i.e., whether you wish you had the shorter stack or the bigger stack). However, in most cases, you should take the rebuy immediately, assuming you are a money favorite over the field and over your table.

The better you play, the more each chip is worth in your stack, and you are more likely to win the big pots. Plus, the deeper the chips, the more play there is on later streets. And often what separates the great players from the good players is the postflop action.

So, if you think you're better than average, be more inclined to rebuy immediately. If you're only about average but are better than average postflop, also be inclined to rebuy immediately. If you're better at preflop all-in play, then maybe hold off on the rebuy until you go broke, or the rebuy period is about to end.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

eMarkM
07-24-2003, 11:10 AM
I don't play in tourneys with rebuys often either (I'm busy competeing against you on Stars) but I usually take a rebuy as soon as I'm qualified to. I was in a live tourney recently that had unlimited $25 rebuys if your initial T1000 stack dipped below T500, which led to a lot of all-in "$25 bets" by players gambling it up. There were a few players who made 4-5 rebuys, some more than that. And most often, they only did it after they were busted.

I took a different approach. I didn't get into the gambling mentality of the rebuy period where you go all-in and if you lose, you just rebuy. I'd rather rebuy while I still have chips to get the most leverage I can out of the situation. As soon as my stack dipped below the threshold, I took the rebuy to get back near 1000. I'd rather have a good stack in front of me that I can double through with or will allow me to get away from a hand then wait until I'm down to felt to rebuy. So I think you were correct to take the chips earlier than later if you were to get short stacked.

cferejohn
07-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I've played in a few unlimited rebuy events, and the rule there is usually when you are below (or sometimes exactly at) your starting amount, you can rebuy. In these I typically rebuy whenever I can. I was wondering if anyone felt that the strategy would shift with a single rebuy.

After having read both responses (thanks guys!) I think I would do it the same way again (on the egotistical theory that I am one of the better players /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

KaptainKangoroo
07-24-2003, 03:06 PM
I had a $1 tournament on UB, first hour unlim rebuys... out of 107 people entered (was 4am tourney) there were 300 rebuys... I rebought the first hand, to get T2000 chips instead of the starter T1000 chips... that tournament was reckless, but great payoffs.

One guy at my table did it 12+ times, till table broke and he probably did it more there...