PDA

View Full Version : 99 preflop decision $100r

greg nice
12-18-2005, 10:53 PM
rebuy over, ~90 left out of 250

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t11125)
SB (t5710)
BB (t16613)
UTG (t9275)
UTG+1 (t35270)
MP1 (t16119)
MP2 (t16357)
Hero (t15155)
CO (t25580)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t1850</font>, Hero?

i folded. if you call, how are you playing certain flops?

edit/
raise should be 1800, standard 3x open for this table. other info i have reraised this guy twice in past .5 hour and he folded both times.

Percussion
12-18-2005, 11:02 PM
I call, and call a bet on a raggity flop, or with one overcard. If I flop a set I will play fast on a draw heavy board, but slower on an uncoordinated flop. The turn is probably the most important decision, but I think you have a stack deep enough to be calling in position on a raiser.

greg nice
12-18-2005, 11:09 PM
ok he bets 3000 on Q73r flop, you call. he checks T turn. 11k stacks left, pot 10k.

edit/
and are you auto folding any A flop?

greg nice
12-19-2005, 04:06 AM
bump

ansky451
12-19-2005, 04:20 AM
Wow thats a ridiculously tight preflop fold.

Call preflop. MAKE A DECISION ON THE FLOP.

I'd say an overwhelming number of posters in the MTT board are terrified of playing flops, and its very bad. ESPECIALLY in a deep tournament with tough competition like the stars 100 rebuy. [censored] I'd call here with JTs and 22, let alone 99. Grow some balls and see what happens on the flop. This isn't a partypoker sit and go. You can see flops in position.

Exitonly
12-19-2005, 04:53 AM
Basically what Ansky said, without all the pent up aggression/roid rage.

call and play a flop, occasionally raise to like 4k occasionaly.

12-19-2005, 05:05 AM
Sometimes you can't be afraid to go to the felt. What you know about a player helps here determining his range of hands. You may want to make a considerable raise on the flop, giving you good information, to avoid this decision. You can check behind on the turn, but you will probably be right in calling a river bet because he could easily be bluffing. How many hands can a Q72 flop help? AA,KK,AQ,KQ,QQ,JJ,TT and the last two will be tough to play if you make a play at the pot on the flop or on the turn. Personally, I'd respect the ace and fold the flop. I suck playing middle pairs but I'd probably push the turn in your situation

ansky451
12-19-2005, 05:27 AM
Psh, its not pent up. Its open and straight foward aggression. I'm sorry if the OP got offended or thought I was too harsh, I'm just sour after a horrid run today.

greg nice
12-19-2005, 01:08 PM
no offense taken. i completely despise short stack poker and that just what tournaments happen to be. give me 200 bb and ill outplay every table.

its seems i have trouble mid game like 20-30 bb stacks figuring whether i should call to see flops and outplay. one reason i didnt was because i had taken two pots from this guy recently preflop, and if i played back maybe he would get pissed and not let it happen.

Dave D
12-19-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically what Ansky said, without all the pent up aggression/roid rage.

call and play a flop, occasionally raise to like 4k occasionaly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically what Ansky said, with even more roid rage.

At least call and see what the flop brings. Who knows, maybe you'll get another caller.

12-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Why raise to 4000? Vilain raise to 3xBB and you only raise to 6.5 BB. Wouldn't a raise to 5000 be bettor to get more info?

I think that folding is tight but not necessary wrong. Playing back at him for a 3rd time could make him play back at you, you don't want to call a re-raise neither loose 4k.

So call can be an option, but if the flop is low, and you call a bet of let's say 3000. The turn is low again, can you really fold to a 7000 bet that commits you? I think that not risking it, when you don't feel you'll have control of the hand is the right move.

I'm not afraid of playing on the flop, but I'm not willing to give that much of my stack when I'll have a hard time playing the hand.

Would you call with AJ?

greg nice
12-19-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So call can be an option, but if the flop is low, and you call a bet of let's say 3000. The turn is low again, can you really fold to a 7000 bet that commits you?

I'm not afraid of playing on the flop, but I'm not willing to give that much of my stack when I'll have a hard time playing the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my concerns as well.

adanthar
12-19-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WSo call can be an option, but if the flop is low, and you call a bet of let's say 3000. The turn is low again, can you really fold to a 7000 bet that commits you?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he let the last two raises go? Yeah, I'm fine with that.

BTW a Q73 flop is very different from a T73 flop and I might well just fold the first one.

(edit: This is not just because he can have a Q, it's also because of how a weak tight player may decide to play JJ-TT when an overcard hits.)

John W
12-19-2005, 07:14 PM
At the very least this is a call. You have to play some poker in order to win.

greg nice
12-19-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At the very least this is a call. You have to play some poker in order to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you should be thinking of the poker you are going to play ahead of time. so, like i asked in the original post, how are you going to play some flops?

12-19-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
occasionally raise to like 4k occasionaly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Department of redundancy department.

Sorry I couldn't help myself =)

Also, I agree, see a flop and go from there. Don't get too fancy though. I am interested if you guys would advocate the same call with 88.

jeffraider
12-19-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow thats a ridiculously tight preflop fold.

Call preflop. MAKE A DECISION ON THE FLOP.

I'd say an overwhelming number of posters in the MTT board are terrified of playing flops, and its very bad. ESPECIALLY in a deep tournament with tough competition like the stars 100 rebuy. [censored] I'd call here with JTs and 22, let alone 99. Grow some balls and see what happens on the flop. This isn't a partypoker sit and go. You can see flops in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree except that I think calling with JTs and 22 here is pretty terrible. Am I that far off?

ansky451
12-19-2005, 10:11 PM
I'd say its a matter of style.

John W
12-20-2005, 01:01 PM
If the flop comes all low cards and he leads out for 3000k, there is no calling at that point it's auto push. Your looking for a good flop and I think anything 10 and under would be considered a good flop.

greg nice
12-20-2005, 01:09 PM
so you dont even consider the possibility of an overpair?

schwza
12-20-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok he bets 3000 on Q73r flop, you call. he checks T turn. 11k stacks left, pot 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

check behind, fold to a river push. call a smallish river bet.

[ QUOTE ]
edit/
and are you auto folding any A flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

this guy sounds like he's opening light if he's folding to your reraises, so why not play a pot with him? incidentally, that's also why i don't mind giving a free card on the turn on the q73T board - there's a decent chance he's drawing to 0/3 outs.

12-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Calling is 1/5 your stack.

I see 3 possible lines:

1) Push now (the hyper aggro, rabid SNGer approach).

2) Fold now (the conservative, I want to make it to the money approach).

3) Call now, Push to a continuation bet on a low flop (fold to any Ace, any two overcards, or a larger than pot sized bet on flop).

I think #3 is the best line when I rationally think things through, but I'd probably go for either #2 or #1 in the heat of battle depending on how spastic I was feeling.

John W
12-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Of course you do. But so may players will make the standard continuation bet with a good ace hoping that the flop didn't help you and try and take down the pot with a strong bet. This might sound a little crazy but if you dont want to move in, a mini raise to 6k will get the information you need, if he moves in you can elect to save your last 7k, but you are putting the maxium pressure on him without risking your tourney esentially you are telling him that you are commited, but you are really not. If you look at the math it doesn't look right but you are still in the tourney with time to rebuild. Most won't agree with this line of play but most will go bust in this spot.

locutus2002
12-20-2005, 07:50 PM
This hand has been bothering me for a day.

I think hero's move is totally dependent on the table and the players, but in general I don't think a fold is incorrect (unless the table is passive) because:

4 players left to act.
Stacks aren't that great to play for set value.
Hero is vulnerable to squeeze.
Hero is behind tight EP raiser range.