PDA

View Full Version : Jazz recommendations???

jkinetic
12-18-2005, 10:51 PM
I am going to try playing cards again while listening to music, I have had mixed results in the past with this.

I want to listen to music without vocals so I plan on downloading some jazz mp3's.

I want some real jazz recommendations, no Kenny G ish, but I want it to be pretty chill, just some mood music, nothing to distract me from concentrating on the game. Another words, trying to stay away from bebop and free jazz.

Some names besides Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, just to give you an idea of the type of vibe I am into.

CallMeIshmael
12-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Not quite Jazz, but Amon Tobin's 'Bricolage' album might be worth checking out.

A couple of friends of mine really like it, and one has an orgasm over it like every other night.

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am going to try playing cards again while listening to music, I have had mixed results in the past with this.

I want to listen to music without vocals so I plan on downloading some jazz mp3's.

I want some real jazz recommendations, no Kenny G ish, but I want it to be pretty chill, just some mood music, nothing to distract me from concentrating on the game. Another words, trying to stay away from bebop and free jazz.

Some names besides Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, just to give you an idea of the type of vibe I am into.

[/ QUOTE ]

satellite radio has some bomb jazz stations

MrWookie47
12-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Here are a few guys I've been really enjoying listening to lately. They're not all strictly cool jazz players, but their music is instrumental and often laid back.

Oscar Peterson: a true virtuoso on the piano. His Night Train album is spectacular, and probably right up your alley. Dimenions is also great.

Jimmy McGriff: While technically a blues guy, his music is all instrumental surprisingly, and he has a lot of jazz sensibilities in his music. I recently purchased his McGriff Avenue and Straight Up albums, and I highly recommend them.

Gene Harris: Another piano legend. His Best of the Concord Years compilation is great, although there are a few lyrical songs on it. Black and Blue is another great one from him, in addition to a number of good live recordings. He's one at least one album with Ray Brown, one of the baddest bass players to ever walk the planet earth that's also solid.

Clark Terry: I was happy I picked up his Squeeze Me and Memories of Duke albums on a lark recently. He occasionally mixes in some vocals with his trumpet, but it's all in his distinctive "mumbles" scat style, not lyrical.

You might also look up the album where Duke Ellington and John Coltrane played together. It's a great mix of Ellington's unmatch compositional sensibilities and Coltrane's sax.

M2d
12-18-2005, 11:41 PM
jake shimabukuro

FatalError
12-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Maynard Ferguson

Original composer for gotta fly now from rocky

elus2
12-19-2005, 12:08 AM
charlie parker if i want to listen to some really good sax. otherwise i prefer to listen to nu-jazz stuff like jazzanova or bugge wesseltoft.

KDawgCometh
12-19-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given my jazz backgroun schpiel several times already, so I'm not gonna trot it out again. Okay onto the recomendations

Chick Corea: now he sings, now he sobs

McCoy Tyner: the real McCoy

Freddie Hubbard: Ready for Freddie, Red Clay

Joe Henderson: any

Stan Getz: sweet rain, focus, serenity, people time

Miles Davis: Miles In the Sky( a real gem of his)

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Collosus, Freedom Suite, Sound of Sonny

Grant Green: Idle Moments

Larry Young: Unity

Hank Mobley: the album title skips my mind right now, but the one with the song: This I Dig of you

turnipmonster
12-19-2005, 12:21 AM
stan getz (earlier stuff, also "sweet rain") - the quintessential "cool jazz" sax player. also a burning bop player when we wanted to be.

tom harrell - more modern trumpeter. tom is schizophrenic and hangs his head in a daze when not playing. when he plays though his whole body changes and he's just majestic. also one of the best jazz trumpeters in the world. check out "the art of rhythm"

bill evans - everything he ever recorded was great, but check out "sunday at the village vanguard" with scott lafaro

keith jarrett - he's got tons of high energy stuff, but his solo album "the melody, at night, with you" is super chill. his most subdued trio outing is probably "at the deer head inn", recorded with paul motian (the drummer on bill evan's "sunday.."!)

jim hall - played with paul desmond, as well as sonny rollins. all his stuff is great, check out "alone together" with ron carter.

turnipmonster
12-19-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hank Mobley: the album title skips my mind right now, but the one with the song: This I Dig of you

[/ QUOTE ]

soul station!

KDawgCometh
12-19-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

soul station!

[/ QUOTE ]

I deserve to be slapped for forgetting that one

TheRover
12-19-2005, 12:32 AM
I spent about a week trying to get into jazz and see if I liked it or not before I got occupied with other junk and haven't got back around to it yet so take this FWIW...

Give Oh Yeah by Charles Mingus a shot, see what happens. I liked it better than Mingus Ah Um.

Uston
12-19-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given my jazz backgroun schpiel several times already, so I'm not gonna trot it out again. Okay onto the recomendations

[/ QUOTE ]

As the resident OOT jazz expert, what do you think of Friday Night In San Francisco?

20Five
12-19-2005, 02:31 AM
coleman hawkins

KDawgCometh
12-19-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As the resident OOT jazz expert, what do you think of Friday Night In San Francisco?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan. I'd be willing to give you a run at the resident OOT jazz expert title /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'm more of a hard bop expert and definetly sax expert as that is my instrument that I studied on

CheckRaise
12-19-2005, 02:54 AM
I believe he was saying that you are the resident OOT jazz expert. Also what about Django Reinhart(sp?) he is probably my favorite jazz musician.

SmileyEH
12-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Joshua Redman is an excellent (if traditional) saxaphonist. I can't believe no one has mentioned Miles Davis - Kind of Blue yet either.

-SmileyEH

KDawgCometh
12-19-2005, 03:14 AM
O, well, alcohol can have that effect on things. I like Django, but my taste is more in the mid 50s to late 60s era of jazz. Of course, Django set the standard along with charlie christian for how the jazz guitar got played.

You really should check out Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall. I like John Abercrombie a bit too, but he doesn't play with a jazz tone all that often. If you give me some time, I can come up with some good guitarists, there is are some really good modern guitarists playing right now

Roland19
12-19-2005, 03:31 AM
I'm a jazz saxophone player now currently studying in college. I can't sit by and watch this discussion of guitar players go on without putting in a good word for Pat Metheny and Mike Stern. In particular, Metheny's 80/81, or The Way Up. Stern is really more of an 80s fusion guitarist, but he's also a great composer with a lot of good things to say musically.

As far as saxophones are concerned, Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman, and Chris Potter are some of the more ambitious modern players. As far as older school players, Hank Mobley is a great bebop tenor saxophonist, as is Johnny Griffin. There's always Coltrane, too.

I could go on and on, but I won't. Pat Metheny, Mike Stern, and Chris Potter.

Edit: Regarding Jim Hall. One word - The Bridge. He and Sonny Rollins are amazing, and it's a classic album. Definitely worth a listen or 300.

CheckRaise
12-19-2005, 03:39 AM
KDawg,

Wes Montgomery is excellent, never heard any Jim Hall. I studied jazz guitar for about three years during high school but stopped when I went to college. I listened to Django, Montgomery and Charlie Christian along with others I've forgotten about.

Roland,

Good call on Pat Metheny, forgot about him.

KDawgCometh
12-19-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as saxophones are concerned, Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman, and Chris Potter are some of the more ambitious modern players. As far as older school players, Hank Mobley is a great bebop tenor saxophonist, as is Johnny Griffin. There's always Coltrane, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, I'm more in the Mark Shim and Tim Warfield camps when it comes to modern tenor players. james carter would be a badass if he wasn't so obsessed with stupid saxophone tricks. If anyone wants to check out some of the best brecker out there, go no further then Chick Corea's 3 quartets, that is one of the best albums in teh past 30 years period

Roland19
12-19-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, I'm more in the Mark Shim and Tim Warfield camps when it comes to modern tenor players. james carter would be a badass if he wasn't so obsessed with stupid saxophone tricks. If anyone wants to check out some of the best brecker out there, go no further then Chick Corea's 3 quartets, that is one of the best albums in teh past 30 years period

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you're a saxophone player and you just "meh"-ed Chris Potter. He is easily the best saxophone player in history, and it's not even close. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif There's this bootlegged recording of him doing an unaccompanied rendition of All the Things You Are that is the greatest diplay of skill and musicianship in the history of music. Also, Extended Play with the Dave Holland Quartet is some more great Chris Potter, and his alto solo on Metamorphos is easily the greatest solo within a small group setting in history.

ackid
12-19-2005, 06:39 AM
I just recently got into jazz over the past couple of years. Mostly blue note stuff. Mid 50's to late 60's

Anyway hear are some of my favorites:

George Benson and the Jack Mcduff Quartet "The new boss guitar of George Benson".

- This is the 1st. jazz cd I brought. George benson was like 19 yrs. on this recording and plays like a pro. Great
cd. He's one of my favorite jazz guitarists.

Kenny Burrell "Blue Midnight"- Another great jazz guitarist.

Charlie Christain " The Genius of the electric guitar"-

I think this guy was the first to every play an electric guitar. The music is from like 1930 but this is an great jazz record with so pretty cool riff's in songs like "seven come eleven" and solo flight in b.

Lou Donaldson "Midnight Creeper"- Lou plays alto sax and this is another really good blue note recording with George Benson on guitar.

Thelonius Monk and John Coletrane live at Carnige Hall.

This was just released and is a rare live recording of both jazz giants playing at the top of their game.

westside_eh
12-19-2005, 07:53 AM
I dont know anything about jazz, but someone in a recent thread recommended Miles Davis. And on amazon.com the first album that came up was "Kind of Blue". The editorial review said "This is the one jazz record owned by people who don't listen to jazz, and with good reason."

Anyway I got the album and have been listening to it constantly. I just put it on repeat and forget about it. For a MTT on saturday, I listened to it for 9 hours straight.

It's really soothing and consistent...a good anti tilt measure.

glorfindel
12-19-2005, 09:25 AM
McCoy Tyner - Expressions, The Real McCoy
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain, Kinda Blue, Bitches Brew
Errol Garner - Body and Soul

Anything by
Toshiko Akioshi and Lou Tabaken
Jerry Mulligan

bnorthro
12-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, and you may not be able to find it for download, but "Charlie Parker With Strings" is pretty insanely good.

TheDelChop
12-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Wow, for a guy who is trying to get into jazz, your guys are gonna scare him away with things like Bitches Brew. If you are just getting into Jazz, I would recommend some things that are a little easier to listen to the first time around.

Art Blakey - Moanin'
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack
Dave Brubek - Time Out

These are all really great jazz albums with a strong sense of melody and form that will allow you to ease into listening to jazz and prevent you from hating it.

Much like you will go broke if the first poker game you play in is $100/$200, no one should have their fist jazz experience be something like A Love Supreme or Bitches Brew.

One step at a time.

turnipmonster
12-19-2005, 10:59 AM
everyone is ignoring that the OP said he wanted to stay away from bebop and free jazz. I love art blakey too, but not exactly chill music!

adsman
12-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Herb Ellis, my favourite laid back jazz guitarist. Check out his 'Nothing but the blues' album with Stan Getz and Dizzy.

correia
12-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Wes Montgomery, George Benson, and Pat Martino are all excellent jazz guitarists. Also give Horace Silver, Tony Williams, Buddy Rich, and Dizzy Gillespie a try.

wuwei
12-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Bill Evans is a great jazz pianist. Check out Live at Montreaux, Waltz for Debby, or the Village Vanguard disc.

12-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I think Anniversary (Stan Getz) would suit you well. It's my favorite jazz album FWIW.

Uston
12-19-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe he was saying that you are the resident OOT jazz expert. Also what about Django Reinhart(sp?) he is probably my favorite jazz musician.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. KDawg is undoubtedly the jazz authority.

Not technically jazz but Friday Night In San Francisco is probably the sickest instrumental CD I've ever heard in any genre.

KDawgCometh
12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
anytime you put paco de lucia, al di meiola(sp), and john mclaughlin together you're gonna get nothing but killer stuff

KDawgCometh
12-19-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone is ignoring that the OP said he wanted to stay away from bebop and free jazz. I love art blakey too, but not exactly chill music!

[/ QUOTE ]

hell, if we are recomening the guy moanin, we might as well recomend indestructible and free for all, but, that isn't what the guy is looking for( /images/graemlins/grin.gif, I just wanted to pimp those albums for anyone who is interested in blakey)

KDawgCometh
12-19-2005, 05:16 PM
it also just hit me. If you want chill jazz then check out Kenny Wheeler. He is a british trumpet player, and plays some very interesting stuff(and I mean interesting in a good way). His style is laid back. Also a really good chill album is Kenny Barron&Charlie Haden's Night and the City. Its just great

turnipmonster
12-19-2005, 07:38 PM
also angel song /images/graemlins/smile.gif