PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I can't dress myself

[censored]
12-18-2005, 09:48 PM
It looks like im going to be going out some dates in the near future and im pretty sure my wardrobe needs some major work.

Currently it consists of 3 pairs of Levi jeans, about 25 standard black T shirts, 10 standard White T shirts (for summer), a few long sleave black T shirts which wear in conjuction with the short sleave when its cold. A pair of black skechers and a pair of brown skechers and an empire poker zip up fleece.

Im not making any sort of statement with this wardrobe mind you it just sort of happened over time. I do like to keep things simple though

I'd like to keep the total under $500 is possible but im open to other ideas

I'm like 5'10 1/2 and weigh about 155. brown hair, brown eyes.

Let me know if you need more information.

Remember this is stuff for dates and pretty much that only

lu_hawk
12-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Your shoes should be OK. You need at least one pair of nicer jeans and then some slacks if you are going someplace where jeans are not appropriate. The slacks should probably be darkish gray and fit well.

You need some shirts. A few of the typical striped button down shirts should be good. I've also been buying Merino wool sweaters when I see one I like. I really like those shirts so maybe get one of them.

You want to look nice, I would go to Bloomingdale's and buy all this stuff in one place. Everything there is 30%-40% off for Xmas. Will probably end up costing you more than $500 depending on what you get but you will be able to keep it less than $1000. $1000 to look nice is well worth it if you think about it.

[censored]
12-18-2005, 09:58 PM
yeah let me clarify I have no idea what clothes cost so if the $500 thing in unrealistic just let me know

rusellmj
12-18-2005, 10:00 PM
You're about 30?

fyodor
12-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Do what gonores does. Take a girl shopping and let her pick out everything.

12-18-2005, 10:02 PM
If you are not a rush, you may want to consider post - christmas sales. i have had great success with these in the days between the 25th and 31st in the past

ScottyP431
12-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Censored,

It depends how "gay" you want to get, i.e. do you want to go like full on metro/fashionable, or just like passable not a slob. If the former, you'd need to spend more. If the latter, i would just get like 6-8 outfits from like banana republic/the gap/old navy consisting off
-dress pants/fancy wash jeans
-long sleeved dress shirt
-colored undershirt, that matches, but is not the same color as dress shirt
-2 pairs of dressy shoes, 2 belts, one set black, one set brown

and your done. You can easily do this on your budget, and shopping entirely online as well. If you want to take another step up, get some kind of blazer.

I'm really bored, here is a potential outfit:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5171&pid=315674

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5204&pid=329311

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5231&pid=347026&scid=347026062

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5148&pid=308988

antidan444
12-18-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This worked great as an early date with my (later-to-be) wife. One day she got to complaining about my lack of fashion, and I told her, "You have $300 to spend, let's get me dressed up." She had a blast.

rusellmj
12-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Something I learned at Mens Warehouse is get more tops than pants. You'll spend less and have some variety. Once you settle on a couple pairs of pants, lay them out on a counter or rack and lay the top over them to get an idea of what looks good and what doesn't.

Oh and Scotty's advice on BR/BLK shoes and belt is important.

As others have said, this is the best time of year to clothes shop.

shadow29
12-18-2005, 10:09 PM
1. find girl.
2. take her shopping.
3. to brooks brothers.
4. spend more than $500.
5. get laid.
6. trainwreck.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Hit up the Gap. Pick up a few button down shirts, a few polos, some kind of jacket/sportcoat and maybe a scarf, depending on your location. If you're having trouble, get one of the female employees to help you pick out an outfit. If she's hot, do her in the dressing room. You know, or whatever.

[censored]
12-18-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 30, should put that in there

miajag81
12-18-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hit up the Gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's 30, not 20.

[censored]
12-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Another Note: I absolutely refuse to step in a [censored] Gap or its aborted cousin The Old Navy again. I appreciate those suggestions. I should have included this in my OP

ScottyP431
12-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Re: Get a girl to take you shopping

This is risky, it's not like there is some fashion gene that every girl has that allows her to dress men. Girls are the ones putting thier tiny ass dogs in Burberry sweaters after all. This can work out, but also produce epic backfires. Take 20 minutes to flip through a GQ and see what you like/looks good instead of relying on some vagisil toting hoe to tell you what to do

kurosh
12-18-2005, 10:21 PM
What's wrong with the gap? I love the gap. Nice, simple, cheap and classy clothing.

Chief911
12-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Gap is fine. Its kinda like a less sophisticated banana republic.

And I'm 30.

Nick

Klepton
12-18-2005, 10:23 PM
i love anything by these people.

www.penguinclothing.com (http://www.penguinclothing.com)

check out the new stuff, and get some nice fall colors.

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another Note: I absolutely refuse to step in a [censored] Gap or its aborted cousin The Old Navy again. I appreciate those suggestions. I should have included this in my OP

[/ QUOTE ]

check out Express for some super metro button down dress shirts, just get either black or white to keep it straight. You can find two shirts for about $80

match the shirt with a pair of distressed-jeans, something not that expensive like Aber & Fitch jeans, run you about $65 each. Buy two, one darker shades, one lighter shades. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE AT THAT STORE, ONLY JEANS.

Drop by banana republic, check out their sale section, they always have nice longsleeve collar shirts or dress shirts from early in the season. Spend about $200 on stretch t-shirts, long a short sleeve, and try to pick up another dress shirt.

Finally, head over to Macy's or your local dept store, pick up a nice black pair of shoes to wear with your jeans. ~$100 for a decent pair.

your set to go

$80
$65
$200
$100

=$445 plus taxes

$500 and a semi respectable wardrobe to begin with

[censored]
12-18-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

check out Express for some super metro button down dress shirts, just get either black or white to keep it straight. You can find two shirts for about $80

match the shirt with a pair of distressed-jeans, something not that expensive like Aber & Fitch jeans, run you about $65 each. Buy two, one darker shades, one lighter shades. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE AT THAT STORE, ONLY JEANS.

Drop by banana republic, check out their sale section, they always have nice longsleeve collar shirts or dress shirts from early in the season. Spend about $200 on stretch t-shirts, long a short sleeve, and try to pick up another dress shirt.

Finally, head over to Macy's or your local dept store, pick up a nice black pair of shoes to wear with your jeans. ~$100 for a decent pair.

your set to go

$80
$65
$200
$100

=$445 plus taxes

$500 and a semi respectable wardrobe to begin with

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work, thanks

Mercsgrl
12-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Post deleted by Mercsgrl

BradleyT
12-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Two pairs of these (http://www.truereligionbrandjeans.com/Mens_Billy_Denim__Destroyed/pd/p/90485815.html) and you're done.

I just don't get it....

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not sure where you're from....but if you have a Marshalls near you....thats where you want to go with the $500 budget. Personally I like the Jeans (nice ones) dont look at the price...you can get them at Marshalls for about $50 cute jeans (http://p.mii.instacontent.net/is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluefly/prodImage.ms?productCode=2006693&width=85&height=1 02)
with... cute cashmere (http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=2020990661&FOLDER<>fold er_id=6475549&rvform=true)
wear a white t-shirt underneath so you can see a little at the neckline...something like this is great for dinner...movies...or just hanging out...you can even get something like this to throw over...
[/url] [url="http://"]sports jacket (http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2872734&boutique =swiss_army&category=2376777~2374612~2382957~23829 58~2382847&Search=True&keyword=sports+jacket+>+In+ All+Categories&SearchType=keywordsearch)

a few of these go a long way and you can mix and match /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey thats a new forum....we can call it "fashion StEff" LOL I love it!

Good Luck!

/images/graemlins/heart.gifSTEF /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

don't goto marshalls, I once was there to buy some socks and found a quicksilver shirt I bought at local surf shop 3 years earlier...that [censored] is [censored] old...

Stuey
12-18-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important to be relaxed and comfortable when on a date. So wearing clothing that you never wear would just make me feel out of sorts.

Buy some new stuff don't violate any of these rules (http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_250/257_fashion_advice.html) and wear the new stuff on dates but also wear it once a week even if you are not going on a date. Get comfortable in your new threads.

You want to look good without looking like you are trying to hard or faking it.

[censored]
12-18-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important to be relaxed and comfortable when on a date. So wearing clothing that you never wear would just make me feel out of sorts.

Buy some new stuff don't violate any of these rules (http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_250/257_fashion_advice.html) and wear the new stuff on dates but also wear it once a week even if you are not going on a date. Get comfortable in your new threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah where has this site been all my life. nice

12-18-2005, 10:43 PM
You would look handsome in a grey or brown cashmere sweater and jeans.

Mercsgrl
12-18-2005, 10:44 PM
ugh I tried to fix my links and deleted my post:(

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You would look handsome in a grey or brown cashmere sweater and jeans.

[/ QUOTE ]

who the [censored] wears cashmere, seriously...he's in oregon not Los angeles or new york.

keep it local

Maulik
12-18-2005, 10:47 PM
one pair of jeans via www.energie.it (http://www.energie.it) = $150

should last forever.

12-18-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

who the [censored] wears cashmere, seriously...he's in oregon not Los angeles or new york.

keep it local

[/ QUOTE ]

I like picturing [censored] in cashmere /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ononimo
12-18-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I like picturing [censored] in cashmere /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what other fantasies about [censored] do you have?

BradleyT
12-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Mens Fashion Tips (http://www.mens-fashion-tips.com/) has lots of good coordination tips.

ononimo
12-18-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not sure where you're from....but if you have a Marshalls near you....thats where you want to go with the $500 budget. Personally I like the Jeans (nice ones) dont look at the price...you can get them at Marshalls for about $50 cute jeans (http://p.mii.instacontent.net/is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluefly/prodImage.ms?productCode=2006693&width=85&height=1 02)
with... cute cashmere (http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=2020990661&FOLDER<>fold er_id=6475549&rvform=true)
wear a white t-shirt underneath so you can see a little at the neckline...something like this is great for dinner...movies...or just hanging out...you can even get something like this to throw over...
[/url] [url="http://"]sports jacket (http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2872734&boutique =swiss_army&category=2376777~2374612~2382957~23829 58~2382847&Search=True&keyword=sports+jacket+>+In+ All+Categories&SearchType=keywordsearch)

a few of these go a long way and you can mix and match /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey thats a new forum....we can call it "fashion StEff" LOL I love it!

Good Luck!

/images/graemlins/heart.gifSTEF /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

don't goto marshalls, I once was there to buy some socks and found a quicksilver shirt I bought at local surf shop 3 years earlier...that [censored] is [censored] old...

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like you struck a nerve

MikeNaked
12-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Hit up Nordstrom Rack next time you are in PDX.

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hit up Nordstrom Rack next time you are in PDX.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:04 PM
the gap. whats your beef with this place?

its the only place i shop really.

anyways, i NEVER wear dress shirts. well since i am now fat i cant, but back in the day my wardrobe would be something like this:

2-3 pairs of loose fit/carpenter jeans

white sneakers (i have been rocking only shelltoes since the early 90's)

polo shirts, long sleeve cotton shirts etc.

always comfortable, always on point. plus on first dates, you look good, but not like your trying. bitches better know they aint getting me in no god damn dress shoes.

almost as important as what you wear is how you groom yourself. i am nutbag and brush my chops 3-4 times a day and floss daily, along with always rinsing my mouth out so no [censored] is stuck in my teeth. cut your nails 2-3 times a week and make sure there is NO dirt under them etc. get my haircut every two weeks, keep around the ears and the sideburns neat etc. chicks really notice that [censored].

[censored]
12-18-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the gap. whats your beef with this place?

its the only place i shop really.

anyways, i NEVER wear dress shirts. well since i am now fat i cant, but back in the day my wardrobe would be something like this:

2-3 pairs of loose fit/carpenter pants

white sneakers (i have been rocking only shelltoes since the early 90's)

polo shirts, long sleeve cotton shirts etc.

always comfortable, always on point.

almost as important as what you wear is how you groom yourself. i am nutbag and brush my chops 3-4 times a day and floss daily, along with always rinsing my mouth out so no [censored] is stuck in my teeth. cut your nails 2-3 times a week and make sure there is NO dirt under them etc. get my haircut every two weeks, keep around the ears and the sideburns neat etc. chicks really notice that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if people like the gap that's fine but I used to have to go to that [censored] place with my ex when we were together and I grew to hate it and everyone in there. I would sit there like a [censored] retard fantasizing about taking an M60 machine gun from a bunker made of Kakis to the place. I just don't like it. Also the ads.

Thanks for the grooming tips though. It reminds me I need to get a haircut and ill get on the other stuff as well.

thanks

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:11 PM
i would rather die than shop with a female.

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and to believe you're fat?

explain your reasoning, especially if they're buying your clothes for you???

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i am fat. what does one have to do with the other?

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Since you seem to like plain stuff, check out American Apparel (http://www.americanapparel.net/). I like style 2412. The collar on that shirt is f'ing crisp all the time and it looks good without being popped.

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man your quick...nothing really, bad inference I don't want to offend

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you got me before I edited, quickreply is quick

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, more approriate would have been

"and to think your single and cant get a girlfriend"

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:21 PM
jesus christ bro, wait till I can edit my [censored] posts...

LOLers

[censored]
12-18-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you seem to like plain stuff, check out American Apparel (http://www.americanapparel.net/). I like style 2412. The collar on that shirt is f'ing crisp all the time and it looks good without being popped.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice I like the look of this stuff. thanks

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:22 PM
ha!

you wouldnt offend me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i hate shopping with females on a general basis. i suppose if i was trying to hook up with a girl, then it would be a cool date but it ends there i think.

[censored]
12-18-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this pretty much sums up how I feel about the subject as well.

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait to you find one that pays for your clothes censored, you're outlook will change.

[censored]
12-18-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait to you find one that pays for your clothes censored, you're outlook will change.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I guess but if that's the case couldn't I jut give her my sizes and stay home?

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I guess but if that's the case couldn't I jut give her my sizes and stay home?

[/ QUOTE ]

such an advanced thinker.

dude, i think i even may be going on a date soon! this is so cool!

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man, you seriously want to have the cake and eat it too...compromise is key with females

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man, you seriously want to have the cake and eat it too...compromise is key with females

[/ QUOTE ]

laying down the law early is the key. like my 'only sneakers' stance.

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holy [censored] bro, nice. 2006 is our year!

Eurotrash
[ QUOTE ]
one pair of jeans via www.energie.it (http://www.energie.it) = $150

should last forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

paying 150 dollars for a pair of jeans with the brand name "Energie"

we asked 100 men...

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/1847/ghey16ls.gif

sublime
12-18-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe for you. i will probably die in early january.

lapoker17
12-18-2005, 11:33 PM
you're getting pretty bad advice.

ok, buy 2 pairs of NICE jeans. i would recommend adriano goldscmeid, seven or paper denim & cloth. there is nothing gay about these jeans. they will fit better and look better and chicks will think you have a little taste. if you must buy levis - get the premium ones. - $250

for shoes, get something black and simple - kenneth cole, banana republic, whatever. - $100

buy 2 or 3 nice shirts - 2 white ones, 1 black. i like Theory, but whatever - b republic, ck,. $200-$300.

then get 2 sweaters - one simple grey cashmere - b republic probably. $120 Anyone advising against cashmere doesn't know enough chicks.

and for the other sweater get either a nice turltle neck, or a sweater/jacket zip up thing - in black or navy - $100-200.

this stuff is all very simple and clean and non-metro. it just looks like you know what you're doing. stay away from non-solids and non standard colors. your outfits should get their character from fabric and cut.

now go get laid.

[censored]
12-18-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe for you. i will probably die in early january.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe. But it will be a great couple of weeks!

[censored]
12-18-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're getting pretty bad advice.

ok, buy 2 pairs of NICE jeans. i would recommend adriano goldscmeid, seven or paper denim & cloth. there is nothing gay about these jeans. they will fit better and look better and chicks will think you have a little taste. if you must buy levis - get the premium ones. - $250

for shoes, get something black and simple - kenneth cole, banana republic, whatever. - $100

buy 2 or 3 nice shirts - 2 white ones, 1 black. i like Theory, but whatever - b republic, ck,. $200-$300.

then get 2 sweaters - one simple grey cashmere - b republic probably. $120 Anyone advising against cashmere doesn't know enough chicks.

and for the other sweater get either a nice turltle neck, or a sweater/jacket zip up thing - in black or navy - $100-200.

this stuff is all very simple and clean and non-metro. it just looks like you know what you're doing. stay away from non-solids and non standard colors. your outfits should get their character from fabric and cut.

now go get laid.

[/ QUOTE ]

this all sounds really good, and fits with how I see my self which is basically simple non flashy. thanks

one question though "adriano goldscmeid, seven or paper denim & cloth" are these all different brands or do adjectives start at seven? Also which stores would have these?

lapoker17
12-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Seven
Adriano Goldschmeid
Paper Denim & Cloth

3 diff brands. Nordstrom will have 1 and 3 AG are sometimes harder to find, but I think they are the best jeans around - if you have Saks or Neimans I would go there - they may even have them at Nordstrom these days, but I don't know.

gorie
12-18-2005, 11:43 PM
holy crap you guys spend a lot of money on clothes.
$250 jeans ?
$300 for a shirt ?
crazy.

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seven
Adriano Goldschmeid
Paper Denim & Cloth

[/ QUOTE ]

nice call LApoker, but my bankroll isn't ready to take hits like these /images/graemlins/smile.gif

$80/pair is good right now for us laymen

lapoker17
12-18-2005, 11:48 PM
no - that was total - 2 pairs jeans 250, 3 shirts 200-300 etc...

OtisTheMarsupial
12-18-2005, 11:51 PM
You're best bet, really, is to go shopping with a friend whose taste you trust and who has a similar style and/or body type.

But I don't understand how you're getting dates if you don't know how to dress. MySpace?

shaniac
12-18-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but it was a modest estimate. I dont think you can buy 3 Theory-type shirts for less than $400.

Your advise to OP is the best so far. Where does [censored] live?

ononimo
12-18-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I don't understand how you're getting dates if you don't know how to dress. MySpace?

[/ QUOTE ]

getting an early start on your winter hibernation?

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your thoughts on diesel or lucky jeans?

I bought two pairs of luckys @ the one on 3rd st prom, not cheap...

PoBoy321
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you not own anything but t-shirts, jeans and sneakers? Are you unemployed and live at home?

ononimo
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you not own anything but t-shirts, jeans and sneakers? Are you unemployed and live at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, dude. Oregon.

[censored]
12-18-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seven
Adriano Goldschmeid
Paper Denim & Cloth

3 diff brands. Nordstrom will have 1 and 3 AG are sometimes harder to find, but I think they are the best jeans around - if you have Saks or Neimans I would go there - they may even have them at Nordstrom these days, but I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah Norstroms has them

any particular style for my size? Also I don't know i'm sure if they are for me. I can't really give a reason as to why other than they look sort of tight in the crotch. But Im probably way out of touch with what's in.

lapoker17
12-18-2005, 11:55 PM
yeah - u r not getting theory for that - i meant the others ck, b rep etc. theory is 3 for 500ish.

[ QUOTE ]
one simple grey cashmere - b republic probably. $120 Anyone advising against cashmere doesn't know enough chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]
ha.

Voltron87
[ QUOTE ]
Seven
Adriano Goldschmeid
Paper Denim & Cloth

[/ QUOTE ]

lapoker, do you have any advice for taller people (6'4" or 6'5")? a lot of brands cut off at 34" inseam and they never seem long enough. i am fairly slim, but am athletic and have kind of a big ass. i find its really hard to find jeans that fit well, i know its probably a stretch that you know anything specific but you seem on the ball.

PoBoy321
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, dude. Oregon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Do people not wear collared shirts or street shoes on the west coast? That place scares me.

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
one simple grey cashmere - b republic probably. $120 Anyone advising against cashmere doesn't know enough chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]
ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone under 35 should be wearing cashmere.

I'm 22 and I do fine without a CASHMERE sweater...

PoBoy321
12-18-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not like cashmere? I usually wear cashmere when I'm trying to get laid because it lends itself to being felt.

surfinillini
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seven
Adriano Goldschmeid
Paper Denim & Cloth

[/ QUOTE ]

lapoker, do you have any advice for taller people (6'4" or 6'5")? a lot of brands cut off at 34" inseam and they never seem long enough. i am fairly slim, but am athletic and have kind of a big ass. i find its really hard to find jeans that fit well, i know its probably a stretch that you know anything specific but you seem on the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.wayzatabaycenter.com/foursome_tall_big.jpg

daryn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"wait to"? "your set"? man.. and these are college students. this country is so damn stupid it's sickening.

Voltron87
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seven
Adriano Goldschmeid
Paper Denim & Cloth

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a little classier plz

[censored]
12-18-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but it was a modest estimate. I dont think you can buy 3 Theory-type shirts for less than $400.

Your advise to OP is the best so far. Where does [censored] live?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seven
Adriano Goldschmeid
Paper Denim & Cloth

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a little classier plz

[/ QUOTE ]

ok...

http://nastystart.org/images/news/signmuseum12022003.jpg

dblgutshot
12-19-2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/

Go look through the style section for ideas.

lapoker17
12-19-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. not sure dude. hilarious post btw. but you are in new york, right, so like, where do athletes buy jeans? i know these higher end brands have to make bigger sizes.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, dude. Oregon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Do people not wear collared shirts or street shoes on the west coast? That place scares me.

[/ QUOTE ]

good keep your bitch ass out of here then, we wouldn't like a fuzzy topped, deuche bag, piece of [censored], pussy like yourself either.

PoBoy321
12-19-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, dude. Oregon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good keep your bitch ass out of here then, we wouldn't like a fuzzy topped, deuche bag, piece of [censored], pussy like yourself either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I'm not the 30 year old who can't dress himself.

surfinillini
12-19-2005, 12:06 AM
censored,

don't forget the shopping spree trip report

daryn
12-19-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, dude. Oregon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.think-strange.de/stuff/images/owned.jpg

for astro

ononimo
12-19-2005, 12:13 AM
i think PoBoy's rebuttal was quite good, actually.

PoBoy321
12-19-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't feel OMGLOLROFLMAOBBQ PWN1NAT3D!!!11!1!1!!!1!one!!1! at all.

ononimo
12-19-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i do give [censored] credit for this, though: he has most of OOT clamoring all over themselves to teach him how to dress and get him laid by women on myspace. those leadership qualities are nearly without rival, if you ask me.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its because you're completely oblivious to the fact that you are the text book putz that most guys can't [censored] stand.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i do give [censored] credit for this, though: he has most of OOT clamoring all over themselves to teach him how to dress and get him laid by women on myspace. those leadership qualities are nearly without rival, if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really have anything to do with me, I just try to make my threads about things that people can relate to.

PoBoy321
12-19-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really have anything to do with me, I just try to make my threads about things that people can relate to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you've found an outlet to discuss not being able to pick out an outfit or meet women outside of the internet.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you've found an outlet to discuss not being able to pick out an outfit or meet women outside of the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

dress your bitch ass up however you like panzy ass [censored] and put me my black t shirt and jeans and [censored] garuntee I will pull more bush than you in any [censored] situation you can come up with.

I would love for someone to arrange this as the next crimson challenge so I could expose you for the [censored] tool that im sure you truly are.

daryn
12-19-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i am just on [censored]'s side because i don't own any of that fancy shmancy crap either

ononimo
12-19-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i am just on [censored]'s side because i don't own any of that fancy shmancy crap either

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw - i'm no one's "side" but for a 30yo man, i don't think collared shirts and non-rubber soled shoes should qualify as "fancy shmancy".

daryn
12-19-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw - i'm no one's "side" but for a 30yo man, i don't think collared shirts and non-rubber soled shoes should qualify as "fancy shmancy".

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't play ball, baby

[censored]
12-19-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK let me clarify something. When I worked in an accouting firm I wore slacks, dress shoes and a botton down shirt of various color every day. I just got rid of that [censored] over time and wanted new opinions for dates.

ononimo
12-19-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't play ball, baby

[/ QUOTE ]

you never run into dress code issues in nice bars, clubs, or restaurants in Boston? i'm in NYC and sneakers are a non-starter in just about all upscale clubs/lounges.

daryn
12-19-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't play ball, baby

[/ QUOTE ]

you never run into dress code issues in nice bars, clubs, or restaurants in Boston? i'm in NYC and sneakers are a non-starter in just about all decent clubs/lounges.

[/ QUOTE ]

never have i run into such dress code issues.

the main reason for that is because i never have been to any nice bars, clubs or restaurants.

Sponger15SB
12-19-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Currently it consists of 3 pairs of Levi jeans, about 25 standard black T shirts, 10 standard White T shirts (for summer), a few long sleave black T shirts which wear in conjuction with the short sleave when its cold. A pair of black skechers and a pair of brown skechers and an empire poker zip up fleece.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether anyone has suggested it but you should get 10 standard grey or tan shirts and 10 standard dark blue shirts.

problem solved.

PoBoy321
12-19-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

dress your bitch ass up however you like panzy ass [censored] and put me my black t shirt and jeans and [censored] garuntee I will pull more bush than you in any [censored] situation you can come up with.

I would love for someone to arrange this as the next crimson challenge so I could expose you for the [censored] tool that im sure you truly are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would happily, but for the fact that I have a girlfriend.

ononimo
12-19-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the main reason for that is because i never have been to any nice bars, clubs or restaurants.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i suppose i should have seen that coming.

12-19-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone under 35 should be wearing cashmere.

I'm 22 and I do fine without a CASHMERE sweater...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is it that you DO live, man? Women LOVE cashmere. I've never heard anyone suggest that it's only for old guys. What kind of stuff DO you wear?

Blarg
12-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Wait until the day after Christmas, and then shop early. You will get a lot of stuff for half off, some even cheaper, as they try to dump their stock. This will make your $500 go much, much further. This is almost the only time I shop for clothes.

P.S. At good department stores with non-[censored] staff, if you find something you really like but the color or size is just a bit off, you can ask them to phone other branches and reserve you the size you want, and either hold it for pick-up for you for a day or two in the other branch or send it to the branch you're at, which might take a few days to a week to get there.

Someone mentioned striped button down shirts. I'd pass on the stripes and get solid colors. They match more easily with a lot of stuff and tend to keep in style more.

Also, don't hesitate to get two of your favorite thing, just like you've been doing with your t-shirts. Sometimes it's hard to find things that are really cool, or what you have gets damaged or eventually a little frayed or whatnot, so two copies of the same shirt if you really like it. As well as the same one in different colors.

As you're starting from scratch, get some very basic colors first that go with lots of things, like a few ordinary blues that aren't "funky" or weird off-color blues, and some other colors the same -- a regular red or green rather than a weird looking one.

Final advice -- girls dig shoes. I mean they REALLY dig them. And not at all just on themselves. I've heard them countless times saying they judge a man by his shoes and that it's a good idea. In all seriousness. It's the kind of "last detail" that proves to some of them that you're "really" classy or rich or hip or whatever the code words are for it these days. (Along with a good belt, to a far lesser extent.)

Get yourself a nice pair of shoes or two, even though it's costly. Then women, even ones you'd think would know better, will think you're the real deal when it comes to, uh, class.

astroglide
12-19-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and for the other sweater get either a nice turltle neck

[/ QUOTE ]

NO

astroglide
12-19-2005, 01:51 AM
thanks daryn

Blarg
12-19-2005, 02:16 AM
?

[censored]
12-19-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Final advice -- girls dig shoes. I mean they REALLY dig them. And not at all just on themselves. I've heard them countless times saying they judge a man by his shoes and that it's a good idea. In all seriousness. It's the kind of "last detail" that proves to some of them that you're "really" classy or rich or hip or whatever the code words are for it these days. (Along with a good belt, to a far lesser extent.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're still talking about black or browm leather shoes? any particular brands I should look out for? Or will just going to nordstroms etc work?

astroglide
12-19-2005, 02:22 AM
i RARELY pull the "men shouldn't" card, but i cannot support dudes wearing turtlenecks

Luv2DriveTT
12-19-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not what Gonores does... He sends me a PM first. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Luv2DriveTT
12-19-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i love anything by these people.

www.penguinclothing.com (http://www.penguinclothing.com)

check out the new stuff, and get some nice fall colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call Klepton, but there is a lot by Penguin that doesn't cut the mustard as well. I happen to be wearing a Penguin sweater as I type this response, but I had to comb through a lot of crap to find the quality item I am wearing.

jdl22
12-19-2005, 02:35 AM
[censored],

I've always had good luck shopping here (http://www.uobookstore.com/sportswear/index.cfm).

Luv2DriveTT
12-19-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're still talking about black or browm leather shoes? any particular brands I should look out for? Or will just going to nordstroms etc work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoes make the man, it is a fact. You can dress semi-decent, but the shoes will take it over the top... its a very important accessory that is neglected by the average man.

The key to shoe shopping is leather soles, 90% of the time they will be made in Italy (because the best shoes are always made in Italy). Your signature shoe should never have rubber soles, nor should it be too "clunky"... streamline is the key. Personally I prefer ankle high boots, but they may be a bit too expensive for your budget.

The trick to leather soles is that even though you are buying them for the leather on the bottom, you will never actually wear them that way. Take the to a great shoe repairman to have no slip rubber bottoms installed, your shoes will last for ages with this little bit of extra care.

Another great trick is the shine. Unless you have patent leather shoes, don't do for the "spit" shine, always leave the leather semi-dull. It may make some cobblers look at you cross-eyed, but since you know better than to take fashion advance from someone who has black shoe polish stains on their fingertips its safe to ignore the funny looks cause you will look dashing.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored],

I've always had good luck shopping here (http://www.uobookstore.com/sportswear/index.cfm).

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they use for currency there? rubles, euros? or is it a strict barter system?

Eurotrash
12-19-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The key to shoe shopping is leather souls

[/ QUOTE ]

good luck with that, [censored].

Blarg
12-19-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, lots of women know the brands of men's shoes and some can identify them on sight and really dig a certain few brands as being the best. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask some women you know what they think.

You could always trust your own judgment, too. In that case, I'd go for a pair or two of shoes first in the same way you build up a wardrobe or shirts -- get a black dress shoe first, as it will go with so many things. Stay away from the browns until you have at least two or three pairs of nice leather shoes, as they are looked down on by a lot of people who don't know better, and at any rate are often thought to work with nothing but browns even by people who seemingly do know better. Brown is a color that asks for an argument from the snobs and self-appointed fashionistas. Get hip and funky with your shoes only after you have a solid base of more ordinary, versatile ones. For you right now, that means at least a couple pairs of black ones, to start.

To me one of the keys of fashion at a non-trashy level is that minimalism is the soul of class. Get shoes that are not too busy or overdecorative. You don't need the ones that have extra big brass or metal on them, someone's initial, etc. When you think flash or style, think of it as a discrete accompaniment to a solid, elegant underpinning, a detail rather than a main attraction. Unfortunately, these can be harder to find than the cheesy glaring fashions meant to sell to your basic pimp. But people who know better, and that includes women, will recognize subtlety in fashion and appreciate it. It definitely puts you a cut above the average joe goober.

Of course, there will always be the occasional idiot you bump into, like someone my friend was dating who said, "I would NEVER go out with a man who wore loafers!" She wasn't kidding either. For her this was actually important.

See what I mean about women having very strong opinions about men's shoes? It can get pretty unreal.

Btw, loafers are fine with most women, and good versatile shoes overall. No matter what you get, there will always be someone who disagrees with it.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shoes make the man, it is a fact. You can dress semi-decent, but the shoes will take it over the top... its a very important accessory that is neglected by the average man.

The key to shoe shopping is leather soles, 90% of the time they will be made in Italy (because the best shoes are always made in Italy). Your signature shoe should never have rubber soles, nor should it be too "clunky"... streamline is the key. Personally I prefer ankle high boots, but they may be a bit too expensive for your budget.

The trick to leather soles is that even though you are buying them for the leather on the bottom, you will never actually wear them that way. Take the to a great shoe repairman to have no slip rubber bottoms installed, your shoes will last for ages with this little bit of extra care.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good tip. Leather soles can wear out very, very quickly. This kind of shoe is not your walking around, doing errands shoe. I've worn out very nice soles this way, which was pretty dumb.

By the way, use either shoe trees, which some advise against because they say they will stretch the shoe out too much, or stuff your good shoes tightly with crumpled up newspapers when you're not wearing them. Every time, right away. Otherwise they will very quickly settle into deep wrinkles that will ruin their look. Think of it as preserving your investment. And good leather shoes can be quite an investment.

Talk2BigSteve
12-19-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah where has this site been all my life. nice

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably only linked from some gay/metrosexual website.

But it is good advice.

I wish I took it.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jdanz
12-19-2005, 03:28 AM
and how/where does one go about getting these?

MonkeeMan
12-19-2005, 03:28 AM
One word

http://www.bling-online.com/images/cd-w300.jpg

patrick_mcmurray
12-19-2005, 03:29 AM
1. Apparently shoes are the most important thing for a girl. I have just bought a pair of Timberland smart nubuck boots which go down well.
2. Do you have a sister or someone else who can go on a shopping trip with you?
3. It sounds harsh, but wearing a free fleece is not a great idea.
4. I get a lot of my stuff in hiking shops. They sell great quality and cool gear eg north face, berghaus.
5. A pair of black wool trousers is always a good investment.
6. If its for dates then pay money and get a smart haircut. (I know that you are bald in your avatar, so this point may not apply).

gl man

Blarg
12-19-2005, 03:39 AM
You might get lucky at a department store, but their stuff often tends to be cheap flashy stuff. You might have to go to a shoe store. I agree with TT that Italian shoes are often very nice. Not always, though; sometimes they take advantage of their rep and cheap you out.

Shoes are an item with severe quality problems, and sometimes they are extremely overpriced according to brand. For instance, even some fairly expensive shoes are glued rather than sewn, or glued in some places and sewn in others. Some you can give a tug on the heel and hear the leather already starting to separate from the heel and sole. Some are sewn noticeably unevenly onto the sole, so when looking down you can see the sole sticking out more or less than usual. Some have an incredibly thin finish, so with the merest thumbnail scrape the top colored leather starts to flake right off.

You have to really look over a shoe and make sure you're getting quality, no matter what price you're paying. Especially since shoes basically take a lot of abuse and pressure, even if you only walk with them from the curb to the carpet.

rusellmj
12-19-2005, 03:58 AM
I can only think of Florsheim (sp?), any other shoe stores you can think of?

Eurotrash
12-19-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alden, Allen Edmonds and Johnston and Murphy come to mind. the first two are pretty expensive I think, J&M is a bit more affordable.

Jdanz
12-19-2005, 04:08 AM
clearly i'm incapable of making these distinctions.

lapoker17
12-19-2005, 04:30 AM
im sure evreyone means well, but you're not getting him to go from skechers to guccis. [censored] - just get some kenneth coles, they will be a good transition from your usual - not too metro, but cool enough.

here's a pair that will be fine:

SHOES (http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?StyleID=2856973&Search=True&SearchType =keywordsearch&keyword=kenneth+cole+>+Men%3A+Shoes )

these will be ok with jeans or pants - you can pick up a pair of slip ons that look similar as well.

lapoker17
12-19-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i RARELY pull the "men shouldn't" card, but i cannot support dudes wearing turtlenecks

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf - dude after seeing your pictures, you could definitely rock the turtleneck. i think you would like it.

lapoker17
12-19-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your thoughts on diesel or lucky jeans?

I bought two pairs of luckys @ the one on 3rd st prom, not cheap...

[/ QUOTE ]

very 4 years ago. you can do better. i think you are in la right? just go to the nordstrom outlet thing a few exits down the 405 - they should have real jeans there for the same price you are paying retail on the promenade. ag/seven etc... you will like them better.

sarahbellum
12-19-2005, 05:24 AM
I can't believe all of the references to all of the over-priced metrosexual jeans (sevens, etc). Jeez.

Get some normal jeans. Brand does NOT matter. The only thing that matters is how they make your butt look. Those other jeans are for suckers.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe all of the references to all of the over-priced metrosexual jeans (sevens, etc). Jeez.

Get some normal jeans. Brand does NOT matter. The only thing that matters is how they make your butt look. Those other jeans are for suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

how the [censored] do I know how my butt looks? send you a picture ? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Blarg
12-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Try them on in the store and look in the mirror.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Try them on in the store and look in the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yeah I get that, I meant more like what girls may say looks good I may hate. ill jsut go with what feels right.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 06:03 AM
how about slacks vs. jeans. not the butt thing but in general for going out? too much, with shirt untucked?

chisness
12-19-2005, 06:13 AM
lapoker,

you're giving great suggestions.

censored,

a few months ago i went on a similar spree after realizing i could use some new items. don't listen to brand X being better than brand Y crap, you need to go to a store and look at the styles and see which ones fit/look best. if you don't mind spending a bit, try saks or neiman and their salespeople will help you pick things out. these places also have massive sales -- for instance, saks had a 40% off everything for one day a month or so ago.

cashmere is kinda cool, but unnecessary and doesn't sound reasonable for your price range. i guess there are various qualities though cause i've seen sweaters ranging from like $40 to $2500.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Pants of all kinds are good to have. Jeans are still not acceptable in many places, so you need some alternatives. They might be fine for going to some restaurants and clubs, but not others. If you've already got some jeans, I don't see any reason to stock up on more. Plus it's nice to be a little dressier sometimes, and women often like a sharper dresser very much. You can still look rich in jeans, but there's only so sharp you can look in jeans.

It's especially true that you don't need to go overboard getting more and more super pricey jeans. A lot of that business is purely about ego, and many expensive brands are just as poorly cut and made as much cheaper brands. Look for quality of construction and finish.

What the other fellow said about it looking good on you is more important. For that, trying them on is going to tell you more than a brand name ever will. A girl looking at you from across the room will think you look much better in a pair of pants that fits you well than one that doesn't look so hot on you but costs 10x more. If she's still checking for brand names too hard and doesn't recognize that you've made quality choices regardless of brand name, she knows less about fashion than you do. What I'm saying is that isn't that likely. Work on the look first - quality, fit and finish, and make brand name a distant consideration. A pair of really nice shoes and well chosen glasses/sunglasses will be all the showing off you need if you dress well.

P.S. if you want to, you can take the brand labels and insignias off a lot of jeans and clothes and many look much better if you do so. A little pair of nail scissors and some plucking at some threads can do the job.

thatpfunk
12-19-2005, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't play ball, baby

[/ QUOTE ]

you never run into dress code issues in nice bars, clubs, or restaurants in Boston? i'm in NYC and sneakers are a non-starter in just about all upscale clubs/lounges.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've gone to quite a few "chic" or "swanky" spots in NYC and had no problem getting in wearing black or grey skate shoes. The only place I've been hassled is in Vegas (Studio 54), but everywhere else didn't mind (i think you can go in a wife beater and boxers if you're paying for bottle service).

Somewhat similar:
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/9917/6913ladio8po.gif

Luv2DriveTT
12-19-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alden, Allen Edmonds and Johnston and Murphy come to mind. the first two are pretty expensive I think, J&M is a bit more affordable.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the average OOT'er who is looking to get a nice pair of shoes, you should only shop at Nordstroms. Those of us in the big cities have better sollutions of course.

Luv2DriveTT
12-19-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Survey says: wrong. Remember - no rubber soles, too chunky on the bottum. It will make your feet look too big.

Luv2DriveTT
12-19-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't reccomend taking the advice of this poster, its great advice for someone who already knows style and is looking to explore, but bad advice for someone like [censored] who is looking to polish up his act.

peachy
12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voltron87
12-19-2005, 11:03 AM
what do people think of these shoes? (http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=5747&pid=273838)

PoBoy321
12-19-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what do people think of these shoes? (http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=5747&pid=273838)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never bee a big fan of those types of shoes. I understand why some people might like them, but I feel like without laces, they just look unfinished.

PoBoy321
12-19-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't patronize me.

thatpfunk
12-19-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]\

lavender is the new pink.

duh.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 12:54 PM
I thought ass was the new pink.

tonypaladino
12-19-2005, 12:55 PM
If anyone is going to buy shoes or sneakers online, get them at Zappos.com.. They have almost every brand, free shipping and free shipping for returns too. It's the only place I buy shoes now.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a huge pain in the ass. I find the real size of a shoe differs greatly from its stated size from maker to maker. I've got size 12 feet and have fit in anything from size 11 1/2 to size 13 1/2. I might well be mailing shoes back and forth for weeks or months.

jba
12-19-2005, 02:17 PM
so I used to hate doing this shopping stuff. for the last year or so whenever my girlfriend is going to the mall she'll ask if I need anything and I'll place an order for a couple long sleeve button shirts or a sweater or a few t-shirts or whatever. then I reimburse upon delivery.

I buy my own jeans, unfortunately you have to try that [censored] on. however this allows me to limit my shopping to like once a year or less.

this is a good system, right?

Blarg
12-19-2005, 02:26 PM
If you have the right body type, could be.

I rarely buy stuff either, just usually right after Christmas so I get it cheap. Or if I see a store is going out of business and has a real going out of business sale, not a fake one where everything's still the same price. But at the real crash and burns you can get stuff super cheap.

jba
12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have the right body type, could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this directed at my post? if so I don't really get how body type matters? unless you mean a lot of people need to try on shirts? I basically never wear any shirt/sweater that isn't exactly XL, it seems like that size is just all encompassing

BWebb
12-19-2005, 02:37 PM
TT, can you give some brand names of the shoes you are describing? I'm not to familiar with expensive shoes.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Well, I just find manufacturers differ a lot and sizes are only a rough guide at best.

If you have a regularly proportioned body, you probably have a wide safety margin. But if you are especially wide or narrow or tall or short, or long-waisted or short-waisted, you've got to really be there in person or the differences between manufacturers sizes can make a big difference to you.

Me, for instance, my arms are long. If I just go for a simple size like large or extra large(I can often wear either, too), sometimes the sleeves are too short and sometimes they're not. If I buy a dress shirt, where the sleeve length is measured, it can help me zero in on the size, but still there will be variability.

Maybe some guys aren't sure if their bodies have the average proportions, but I know my arms are just a bit long, and it's enough to make me extra careful when buying stuff.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't reccomend taking the advice of this poster, its great advice for someone who already knows style and is looking to explore, but bad advice for someone like [censored] who is looking to polish up his act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to go with TT on this one. You don't ask a favor from the Godfather only to end up taking the advice of Enzo the baker.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look comfortable but not me. I could see other people really liking them though and they look good I think.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether anyone has suggested it but you should get 10 standard grey or tan shirts and 10 standard dark blue shirts.

problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, that's not bad at all. Nice work

Blarg
12-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Girls don't like grey shirts.

[censored]
12-19-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah, really?

Can we get some calaboration here? Grey is one of my favorite colors and I for sure would have picked up some grey button down shirts.

lapoker17
12-19-2005, 09:23 PM
wtf. grey is fine. good winter color. grey cashmere sweater. simple crewneck. simple cuffs. you need to stop listening to people and soliciting more incorrect advice and buy what i told you to [censored]. someone needs to bang these chicks.

Blarg
12-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Everyone's got their own ideas. I've talked to plenty of girls who have said they don't like grey and find it dull, and gotten plenty of negative reactions to it. It can make people look, well, grey. Washed out and dull. Professorial or reeking of office wear. Grey is not your go-to color. Most people see that enough at work every day. If you want to catch someone's eye, using the dullest color on the pallete is not the best way to go about it.

I'd suggest getting colors that go with your skin tone and eyes or hair, and that have some personality to them. You don't want to look like a mortician.

Paluka
12-19-2005, 10:05 PM
I'll throw down some quick ideas:

Penguin and Ben Sherman both make some nice shirts.
Clothes from The Gap are horrible quality. Unless you are really on a budget you should not buy anything there that you plan on wearing to try and get chicks or impress anyone.
Camper have some really nice shoes.

Maulik
12-20-2005, 12:46 AM
lapoker,

7 is played out.

chisness
12-20-2005, 04:15 AM
censored,

check out saks for a large sale they've got going. for example, a dg batman beaded t-shirt is only $500 instead of $700!
sale site (http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/SaleByCategory.jsp?catID=1%2C408%2C474%2C395%2C915 %2C793&FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474395915793&PRODUCT< >prd_id=845524446126978&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474 395222441&bmUID=1134990581438)

siccjay
12-20-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

6. If its for dates then pay money and get a smart haircut. (I know that you are bald in your avatar, so this point may not apply).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/jaydeuce/LOLCopter.gif

[censored]
12-20-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/jaydeuce/LOLCopter.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK this reminds me. WTF people I've had two PM's in the past where the person thinks that my avatar is a picture of myself (seriously) and now this? Do you really [censored] think I have blue skin with spikes coming out of my face?

although how [censored] sweet would it be if I did and still managed to nail some myspace chick?

siccjay
12-20-2005, 04:59 AM
[censored],

Do you not have any friends that actually go clubbing etc etc? I would ask one of them to help you out by going shopping with you. They may give you [censored] for a few, but I'm sure they would help and give you honest opinions.

You could also just go to Abercrombie or somewhere similar and find the hottest chick working and ask her to hook you up. Maybe you will even get laid out of the deal. A chick would enjoy doing this for you and of course you would have an actual chicks opinion on what works for you.

I would get at least 5 pairs of nice jeans which can run you anywhere from 25-80. Any more than that is just silly to me, but I have friends that pay much more than this. I don't dig the whole destroyed look but it's definitely whats in.

Don't hate on Old Navy. If you want to start buying lots of clothes this store will be your friend. They have decent [censored] for much cheaper than Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle, etc etc. Oldnavy.com is cool and they have [censored] on sale all the time, I have seen stuff cheaper in the store itself a lot though. I have probably 50+ old navy polo shirts all under 20 bucks.

You probably have never done it before, but when you go out anywhere start paying attention to what people are wearing. Look for ugly dudes with hot chicks, they are doing something right.

thatpfunk
12-20-2005, 05:04 AM
SJ,
Does [censored] really seem like the type of person who enjoys clubbing or is friends with people who go clubbing?

And there is nothing cool about Old Navy.

siccjay
12-20-2005, 05:15 AM
tpf,

I guess not, but he has to know SOMEONE who has a little idea of style. Who doesn't?

I used to hate old navy too, but it's cheap and they have some decent clothes sometimes. They do have a lot of queer items, but what place doesn't? I just bought this coat (http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=5286&pid=339301) and I like it.

I also just bought these shoes (http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=1007705%7EMens%7EGBX&sc=MENS&variant _id=17141) if anyone cares. This post just has me in the mood to hear comments on my choices.

einbert
12-20-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its because you're completely oblivious to the fact that you are the text book putz that most guys can't [censored] stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored], you are the angry, arrogant jerk that most people hate.

And yeah cashmere is good.

ScottyP431
12-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Siccjay,

The jacket would be good for a brokeback mountain audtion...

Those shoes are basically lifts as well..

Overall: 3/10

thatpfunk
12-20-2005, 06:28 AM
SJ,
Old Navy is just not my style I guess. I recently purchased this coat from Banana Republic. (http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=5537&pid=324018) I like it and has gotten some nice compliments so far.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I don't mind spending some decent money on clothes that I know I will keep for a decent amount of time, that are comfortable, and look good.

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Ok, I'd say go to www.aldoshoes.com (http://www.aldoshoes.com) and check some of those out. Go to an Aldo store if you can and try some on. I think they're hella stylish and not more expensive than normal sneakers. My "shoe closet" or whatever right now is a pair of casual Aldos, black dress up Aldos, light brown Roos, and some normal Reeboks or Nikes or something. I think that covers everything you could ever wear. Pair of sandals and flip flops too, but whatever.

On jeans, they don't have to be too stylish. After putting holes in my two favorite pairs (managed to chafe a hole in the course of a month in the crotch of one while travelling Europe and tore another hole in the crotch of another while climbing over a fence), I went to Abercrombie & Fitch and even though I pretty much despise the store, they have some nice Jeans, especially for $60. Also, the eye-candy girls working there are actually good for something and can point you to a pair of jeans depending on what kind of fit you want.

On shirts, for tees, I have [censored] tons of graphic tees in many colors. For undershirts, I have white and black bamboo shirts (the best material for clothing, ever). For dress shirts, I like the more gay/metrosexual collared stuff. My favorite dress shirts are probably from Guess? and Ralph Lauren/Polo.

For sweaters and stuff, just get something black and warm. After this I would say just layer. Don't get a big, crazy jacket unless you live somewhere really cold. I would rather wear an undershirt, tee-shirt, sweater, and light jacket instead of a t-shirt and big jacket.

Oh, and finally on jeans, get dark jeans. Light jeans are just silly. I like a little bit of fade in them, but not too much. Don't get jeans that drag on the floor. I think the perfect length has them coming just to the back of your shoe, almost on the floor when your leg is straight. Oh yeah, get comfortable jeans you don't mind wearing.

Bamboo Clothes (http://www.bambooclothes.com/)

siccjay
12-20-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Siccjay,

The jacket would be good for a brokeback mountain audtion...

Those shoes are basically lifts as well..

Overall: 3/10

[/ QUOTE ]

Please post pics of your ....

A) Grossly oversized bubble coat
B) Leather jacket with 27 too many zippers
or
C) Your dingy "Members Only" jacket.

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 06:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah let me clarify I have no idea what clothes cost so if the $500 thing in unrealistic just let me know

[/ QUOTE ] I'm way late to this thread, but it is. I spend $500 on one outfit.

dblgutshot
12-20-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm way late to this thread, but it is. I spend $500 on one outfit.

[/ QUOTE ]

congratulations

thatpfunk
12-20-2005, 06:46 AM
SJ
didn't you know that Members Only jackets are now so uncool they're cool again?

fashonably chic,
funk

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 07:02 AM
After reading this, lapoker and (not surprisingly) TT have the best advice. Just re-read their stuff and you should be good.

Edit: FWIW, my shopping rotation includes Nordstrom, Express, Gap, Banana, and Armani Exchange. All of these places have good stuff, though Nordstrom is gold.

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

congratulations

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not very hard with a nice pair of shoes and a blazer.

ScottyP431
12-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Siccjay,

You are a moron. I'm sorry I didn't like your hideous coat or shoes.

chisness
12-20-2005, 07:28 AM
isn't ax kinda gay?

siccjay
12-20-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Siccjay,

You are a moron. I'm sorry I didn't like your hideous coat or shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ScottyP,

You are a douchebag. I am sorry it is so cold outside and you have no coat.

Bluffoon
12-20-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how the [censored] do I know how my butt looks? send you a picture ? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No silly you try them on, walk out of the dressing room, find a cute girl and ask her for her opinion and then you work it from there.

Say something like, excuse me you look like someone who's opinion I can trust.....

12-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Nordstrom's men's sale is after xmas, early january maybe.

Get one faconable jeans buttondown shirt and one pair of ecco shoes, brown or black.

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/produ...StyleID=2867756 (http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2867225&boutique =faconnable&category=2376777~2374612~2374651~23776 39~2377643&NextStyleID=2851040&PrevStyleID=2867756 )

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/produ...StyleID=2765031 (http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2873108&category=2376778~23728 11~2373440~2373442~2375102&PrevStyleID=2873719&Nex tStyleID=2765031)

or

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/produ...StyleID=2869001 (http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2869000&boutique =ecco&category=2376778~2372811~2373440~2373442~237 5102&NextStyleID=2869002&PrevStyleID=2869001)

CollinEstes
12-20-2005, 05:13 PM
I think shoes are really important. I have had numerous girls tell me that out the first two things they look at as far as your clothing is 1. shoes, 2. watch.

I think any jeans that look fine regardless of brand is fine but you should go out and just pick up abunch of fitted dress shirts (not sure your size probably around 15, 31/32, or something. Solids or stripes doesn't really matter I would just stay away from blues because greater chance of clashing with your jeans. Then you can go with the rolled up sleeves (I don't because everyone else does) or just the cuff flip or down and open or down and button anyway it looks good, tuck or no-tuck.

Jackets can be a good investment too. Personally I just like to go to the vintage shops and find old sports coats and stuff like that to wear as jackets.

marsvolta619
12-20-2005, 05:14 PM
get a pair of girl jeans

rory
12-20-2005, 05:23 PM
just go on your dates looking like a scrub. you want the girl to love you for the man you are inside, not your watch. find the one who will see through your pee-stained jeans and torn filthy t-shirt to the pearl beneath. that is how you find your true love.

FatalError
12-20-2005, 05:28 PM
respek

BottlesOf
12-20-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

congratulations

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ACtually I'd say it's damn near impossible. Show me a nice pair of shoes + hot blazer for solidly <$500.

Evan
12-20-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I never understand why you post this stuff. What was the point of this one?

ScottyP431
12-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Siccjay,

You're response makes no sense. One doesn't need to dress like a midget gay cowboy in order to have a coat.

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Affordable imitations of JP Todds / Gucci loafers. They aren't for everyone, but if you are the type that can rock them then they can really make the man. I recommend a tight-fit jean and no socks, Euro style to match the shoes... or alternately a very baggy pant (I wear my brown suede Gucci loafers with white baggy painters pants).

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
isn't ax kinda gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I dress metro a lot when I go out. I also wear completely slob clothes around the house and to the store.

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

congratulations

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ACtually I'd say it's damn near impossible. Show me a nice pair of shoes + hot blazer for solidly <$500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grr, you are arguing with me about something we agree on...

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he asked if $500 was resonable to get his fashion up to date. I was pointing out it's not as that is one good outfit, easily.

Makes perfect sense to me, don't know what you don't understand about it?

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TT, can you give some brand names of the shoes you are describing? I'm not to familiar with expensive shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the most basic would be Ballys, easy to find and their leather quality is the best. Other than the big designer names there are a ton of little known Italian brands that you can probably find at your local mall - Saks, Neimans, Bloomingdales, and even MACYs all have at least a small collection of good Italian shoes for men (95% of the other stuff is junk of course).

sublime
12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he asked if $500 was resonable to get his fashion up to date. I was pointing out it's not as that is one good outfit, easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably has something to do with your track record of waving your financial dick around.

off topic, do you have a 156 IQ?

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah, really?

Can we get some calaboration here? Grey is one of my favorite colors and I for sure would have picked up some grey button down shirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps girls don't like gray shirts on Blarg, but generally I don't think girls care about a color as long as it matches the complexion of the person wearing it. For example I have two pink shirts, they would look very bad on Tony Paladino, but I look really good in them. Conversely yellow is not my color, I've tried many times but I always fail.

sublime
12-20-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just go on your dates looking like a scrub. you want the girl to love you for the man you are inside, not your watch. find the one who will see through your pee-stained jeans and torn filthy t-shirt to the pearl beneath. that is how you find your true love.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought you found true love by stalking girls you find on the red line?

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll throw down some quick ideas:

Penguin and Ben Sherman both make some nice shirts.
Clothes from The Gap are horrible quality. Unless you are really on a budget you should not buy anything there that you plan on wearing to try and get chicks or impress anyone.
Camper have some really stylish sneakers, but they can also be rather uncomfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed Pauluka's post (I really like Penguin and Ben Sherman). While I'm at it, I'm surprised we haven't advised [censored] on getting a blazer yet. You don't need a whole suit, but a nice well fitting blazer is a minimal requirement for the stylish man.

[censored]
12-20-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah, really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps girls don't like gray shirts on Blarg, but generally I don't think girls care about a color as long as it matches the complexion of the person wearing it. For example I have two pink shirts, they would look very bad on Tony Paladino, but I look really good in them. Conversely yellow is not my color, I've tried many times but I always fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm can you eloborate on matching the color to complexion thing? Is this just something you can tell? I have brown eyes, brown hair and always thought brown looked good me even though I don't really like it as a color. I'm not pale but not really tan either, maybe a bit reddish? without being red if that makes sense

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look for ugly dudes with hot chicks, they are doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called personality and/or bad taste.

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tpf,

I guess not, but he has to know SOMEONE who has a little idea of style. Who doesn't?

I used to hate old navy too, but it's cheap and they have some decent clothes sometimes. They do have a lot of queer items, but what place doesn't? I just bought this coat (http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=5286&pid=339301) and I like it.

I also just bought these shoes (http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=1007705%7EMens%7EGBX&sc=MENS&variant _id=17141) if anyone cares. This post just has me in the mood to hear comments on my choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rate the coat a 6. The shoes get a 3. I think I need to start a new thread just for this /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dblgutshot
12-20-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
isn't ax kinda gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I dress metro a lot when I go out. I also wear completely slob clothes around the house and to the store.

[/ QUOTE ]

AX isn't 'gay' but it is pretty low-quality clothes.

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
isn't ax kinda gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it is a bit uber-clubby for my taste. Interesting fact, AX is owned in part by Giorgio Armani, but Giorgio only has final approval on the clothing designs. So when you shop at AX, you are not really wearing Armani.

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nordstrom's men's sale is after xmas, early January maybe.

Get one fashionable jeans buttondown shirt and one pair of ecco shoes, brown or black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ecco shoes are a license, they are not actually designed by Marc Ecco - hence they aren't really that cool. Marc actually has some nice designs for some his lines (even his ultra-urban lines), why he lets a licensee [censored] it all up for him is beyond me.

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably has something to do with your track record of waving your financial dick around.

[/ QUOTE ]

$500 is average for a significant outfit Sublime. I think Nick is on track there, its not boasting... its honest.

sublime
12-20-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$500 is average for a significant outfit Sublime. I think Nick is on track there, its not boasting... its honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

ohh, i have no idea about that. i was more answering his question as to why evan made a remark about his post.

[censored]
12-20-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah, really?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm can you eloborate on matching the color to complexion thing? Is this just something you can tell? I have brown eyes, brown hair and always thought brown looked good me even though I don't really like it as a color. I'm not pale but not really tan either, maybe a bit reddish? without being red if that makes sense

[/ QUOTE ]

TT?

lapoker17
This thread was created so [censored] could improve his wardrobe. It was not titled "things I like to wear". The advice I gave him was based on the info he included about himself, and was sometimes not consistent with personal style choices I make.

You are confusing him with all of this talk about skin tones, the cost of "outfits" (wtf) YOU like to wear and metrosexuality. These things are not relevant to him.

sublime
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah, really?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think hes around

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah, really?

Can we get some collaboration here? Grey is one of my favorite colors and I for sure would have picked up some grey button down shirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm can you elaborate on matching the color to complexion thing? Is this just something you can tell? I have brown eyes, brown hair and always thought brown looked good me even though I don't really like it as a color. I'm not pale but not really tan either, maybe a bit reddish? without being red if that makes sense

[/ QUOTE ]

TT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could, but I am color blind. I see color, but not the way that you do, and my descriptions would seem odd. Perhaps thats why I like colorful shirts from Etro, Missoni, Paul Smith, etc.

You mentioned you look good in brown but don't like the color. I was the same way with green and brown, I looked really good in those colors but I generally don't like them. I got used to it over time, I wear a lot of brown now.

siccjay
12-20-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tpf,

[/ QUOTE ]

I rate the coat a 6. The shoes get a 3. I think I need to start a new thread just for this /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured I was the reason you started that thread and came back to check for this. The shoes are darker in person and are much more pimptastic than a 3.

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tpf,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured I was the reason you started that thread and came back to check for this. The shoes are darker in person and are much more thugtastic than a 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to work on your definition of a pimp.

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My financial dick is realtively small here. There are plenty making much more than I do. I am comfortably upper middle class, that's it. I certainly never could have afforded NYU at his age, so Evan is definitely one up on me; I'm sure he comes from more money than I did.

That said, I will answer any questions about my income / habits / anything else truthfully. I'm here to discuss things and when asked point blank what I make, I will say so. Same thing as asked when if I think $500 will cover a new wardrobe.. I said no and explained why. This isn't hard to understand.

I am definitely small potatoes compared to many others here, I don't think of myself as any better than anyone else here either. I am proud of what I have done with my life though; nothing wrong with this. And since you asked, my IQ is around 135 (which again is nothing special, especially not here).

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
isn't ax kinda gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it is a bit uber-clubby for my taste. Interesting fact, AX is owned in part by Giorgio Armani, but Giorgio only has final approval on the clothing designs. So when you shop at AX, you are not really wearing Armani.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I don't shop here much, but there is some good club type clothes that still look nice that I like to buy. They are, however, usually overpriced as you pay for the pseudo-Armani name.

sublime
12-20-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My financial dick is realtively small here. There are plenty making much more than I do. I am comfortably upper middle class, that's it. I certainly never could have afforded NYU at his age, so Evan is definitely one up on me; I'm sure he comes from more money than I did.

That said, I will answer any questions about my income / habits / anything else truthfully. I'm here to discuss things and when asked point blank what I make, I will say so. Same thing as asked when if I think $500 will cover a new wardrobe.. I said no and explained why. This isn't hard to understand.

I am definitely small potatoes compared to many others here, I don't think of myself as any better than anyone else here either. I am proud of what I have done with my life though; nothing wrong with this. And since you asked, my IQ is around 135 (which again is nothing special, especially not here).

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i was just explaining why Evan probably posted what he did. whether or not you do it on purpose, you come across the internet as someone who likes to brag and/or someone with a superiority issue etc. this isn't an attack on you, i am just pointing out how others may view your internet persona.

in case you were wondering, i am one of those who makes more money than you. again, only if you were wondering.

can you help me find somebody with an IQ of higer than 156?

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in case you were wondering, i am one of those who makes more money than you. again, only if you were wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already knew this, but now who comes off like the prick?

sublime
12-20-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me as usual /images/graemlins/smile.gif

it was harmless fun though. also, my posts were not an attck on you. i was just explaining why you got the flack you did.

off topic- how is henderson? i am thinking of moving to that exact neighborhood in early 2006.

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but no cigar with me. Why?

TheMetetron
12-20-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it was harmless fun though. also, my posts were not an attck on you. i was just explaining why you got the flack you did.

off topic- how is henderson? i am thinking of moving to that exact neighborhood in early 2006.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, alright I'm done being defensive around you... let's try to keep some peace around here and not get so uptight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I move in like 2 weeks, so I have no idea yet.

sublime
12-20-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but no cigar with me. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

just wondering

sublime
12-20-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, alright I'm done being defensive around you... let's try to keep some peace around here and not get so uptight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i need to unwind myself.

i will be asking you for a layout of the town in a few weeks if thats ok with you. maybe we can get together and burn one dollar bills in front of crackheads for fun if you need a little pep in your life.

Blarg
12-20-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the idea he wanted to date, not find his true love.

Blarg
12-20-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah, really?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Making half your shirts gray ones is a bad idea no matter how much you think girls dig the dull look.

siccjay
12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tpf,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured I was the reason you started that thread and came back to check for this. The shoes are darker in person and are much more thugtastic than a 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you work on your definition of thug. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

There is nothing thugish about those shoes.

Luv2DriveTT
12-20-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tpf,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you work on your definition of thug. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

There is nothing thugish about those shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

They belong on Juvinile's feet, not yours.

siccjay
12-20-2005, 10:45 PM
HA! (pun intended)

They are low top man. They aren't huge Tims with a big tongue sticking out.

BottlesOf
12-20-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
isn't ax kinda gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AX isn't 'gay' but it is pretty low-quality clothes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's chachy meets Eurotrashy.

rory
12-20-2005, 11:36 PM
love me love my snot covered overcoat

runner4life7
12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
wow a lot of replies. I read the first 50. Banana Republic has a big winter sale right now so i would go online and go to the sale part and see if you like anything there. Like others have said express is nice as well. You would probably be fine with just those two, but if you want more choices department stores have more brands that can be good such as Ben Sherman, Penguin, Fred Perry, and 7 Diamonds. Good luck and post pics of what you get.

shant
12-20-2005, 11:50 PM
This thread is tl;dr, but has anyone mentioned Urban Oufitters? I know everyone hates it straight out before even considering it, but they do have some good stuff hidden among the annoying crap.

A couple great brands:

Modern Amusement (http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1153&itemType=CATEGORY)
Penguin (http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/jump.jsp?itemID=452&itemType=CATEGORY)

A lot of good stuff hits their sale section and can be very affordable.

runner4life7
12-21-2005, 12:01 AM
you said you liked brown, i have found brown to be an under-rated color and I think you should stick with that for fall and winter times. I am 5'10" brown hair and brown eyes and similar skin not tan not pale and i think brown has worked well.

i also like any darker colors for winter such as this sweater i just ordered from banana http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?pid=3272170220001&cid=5480

TheMetetron
12-21-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i need to unwind myself.

i will be asking you for a layout of the town in a few weeks if thats ok with you. maybe we can get together and burn one dollar bills in front of crackheads for fun if you need a little pep in your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Works for me... burning dollar bills is fun.

I've got a good idea of the layout of the place, but I'll be bugging bugstud once he gets back for the real dirt.

Evan
12-21-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I certainly never could have afforded NYU at his age, so Evan is definitely one up on me

[/ QUOTE ]
It all depends on how you look at it dude. I decided that I couldn't afford not to go to NYU. But if you're talking about pure dollars in the short term, I'm going to have over $100k of debt when I graduate.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure he comes from more money than I did

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?