PDA

View Full Version : Free card or semi-bluff?

incognito
07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Online $2/$4. I've been playing at this table for hours and it's been pretty passive. One really, really bad player that was the whole reason I was staying who just busted out so I'm about to leave. Then this hand came up:

I'm dealt T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and I open-limp in early position, expecting several callers. Unfortunately, it's folded around to the small blind who completes and the big blind checks. Maybe the table texture changed when the fish left?

The flop comes 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. The blinds check and I bet out, hoping to win the pot right there. The SB folds, but the BB calls.

The turn comes 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif, giving me an inside straight draw to go with my flush draw. The BB checks... Should I keep going with the semi-bluff with 12 outs to fall back on if I'm raised, or take the free card?

pufferfish
07-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Looks like you have an open-ended nut straight draw to go with the flush draw giving you 15 outs.

BB could be on the flush draw as well or hanging out with less than top pair, so a 9 or T may be outs as well.

I think I’d keep firing. BB may give up on the expensive street anyway.

TC,
pf

JohnShaft
07-22-2003, 12:23 PM
You've got 15 outs no?

Unless he's one of these loosies who'll call you down (including the river) with a poor pair (in which case you could have another 6 outs) it's definitely worth a turn bet. Even if he is it's still probably worth a bet.

DKNY
07-22-2003, 12:44 PM
You have position, plenty of outs and you've been the aggressor, I would bet.

slavic
07-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Fire the second bullet

incognito
07-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Everyone is right, I've got 15 outs. I knew that at the time, just spasmed while posting.

Anyway, I did in fact bet out on the turn, BB check-raised, I called. The river came 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif, BB bet, I folded. I assume nobody thinks that's a big mistake, given the turn check-raise and my complete lack of anything resembling a hand at the river?

pufferfish
07-22-2003, 02:19 PM
I assume nobody thinks that's a big mistake, given the turn check-raise and my complete lack of anything resembling a hand at the river?

Nope, I think you played it well. Darn cards!

TC,
pf

Ed Miller
07-22-2003, 05:41 PM
You should generally bet again... you have what I would technically term a bazillion outs.

Ed Miller
07-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Everyone is right, I've got 15 outs.

You will actually usually have 21 outs here, as spiking a pair will usually do the trick as well.

felson
07-22-2003, 07:56 PM
I think you played it perfectly.