PDA

View Full Version : Taking shots

twang
12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm considering giving myself the buy-in for to tonight's 500K guaranteed at Party; a christmas gift to myself if you will. However, the 500K is a tourney that is above my bankroll (according to the MTT FAQ). Not way above, but playing this MTT every week would probably be a bad idea.

Do you take occasional shots at tourneys that you are underrolled for?

surfinillini
12-18-2005, 04:34 PM
why can't you just play some satellites.

I play the Stars 500K every other weekend and have never put in the $215...

Lloyd
12-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I think almost everyone does. Look at yesterday's Grand Prix on Pokerroom. $1000 buy-in which would require a bankroll of between $50k and $100k. I'd guess that most people who bought in directly have bankrolls less than that but are just taking the occasional shot. Same for the WSOP events. But with rampant satellites these days the norm is certainly to play within your bankroll by qualifying.

MikeSmith
12-18-2005, 04:37 PM
satellites

12-18-2005, 04:40 PM
I think it's fine to do this given that you'll be comfortable losing the buy-in. As long as you don't make a habit out of it and you'll be okay losing, there's really no problem. Just keep in mind that there's a ~90% chance that this'll be a negative Christmas present.

twang
12-18-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why can't you just play some satellites.

I play the Stars 500K every other weekend and have never put in the $215...

[/ QUOTE ]

Been too busy lately to go the satellite route. But, yeah, that'd be the best way to do it if you have the time.

ansky451
12-18-2005, 04:53 PM
As long as it's not a regular thing... theres nothing wrong with taking a shot here.

twang
12-18-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's fine to do this given that you'll be comfortable losing the buy-in. As long as you don't make a habit out of it and you'll be okay losing, there's really no problem. Just keep in mind that there's a ~90% chance that this'll be a negative Christmas present.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sums up how I was thinking. I was just curious to know how common taking shots is in the MTT-business. BTW, I think you are overestimating my chances to make it ITM. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I think you are overestimating my chances to make it ITM. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why the sharks here are inviting you to test the waters....

I like the satellite route if it's truly above your bankroll - it's a great way to qualify if you're a semi-good player. The satellites to the 500k are pretty soft on most days.

As long as you don't get carried away with it and can prevent yourself from (wrongfully) justifying it on a weekly basis you should be fine taking an occasional shot.

Roman
12-18-2005, 05:04 PM
It is ok to take a shot if this is less than 5% of your BR.

twang
12-18-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is ok to take a shot if this is less than 5% of your BR.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is. Just out of curiousity: Why that figure (5%)?

12-18-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Been too busy lately to go the satellite route. But, yeah, that'd be the best way to do it if you have the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta take the time if you want to play it for less money since you already admitted you do not have the bankroll. I for one, being a rec player do not have a bank roll per se. I just play 3-6 limit some SNGs and low buy in tourneys. Through sats, I have played about a dozen of the 500K, 750K and 1MM including the 1MM last night (didn't go too far though). I have cashed once for about 800. It's a thrill but I won't pay the full fare though.

BTW, Im playing now and through a sat. too.

CieloAzor
12-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Really doesn't make a difference if you go through a satellite or not. Once you've won the $215 and have the option to withdrawal from the tourney, you ARE spending $215 of your bankroll to play it. If you want to take a shot, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Sounds like your bankroll will be fine either way.

twang
12-18-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really doesn't make a difference if you go through a satellite or not. Once you've won the $215 and have the option to withdrawal from the tourney, you ARE spending $215 of your bankroll to play it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. FWIW, I took the shot and busted quickly when my top two (AKs) bumped into a coldcalled JTo who, of course, hit the gutshot. Oh, well.

Dan Mezick
12-18-2005, 06:32 PM
no.

twang
12-18-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you take shots in cash games?