PDA

View Full Version : Goals for Beginners

thomastem
07-22-2003, 10:20 AM
I've been playing a year and a half. When I started I set goals that I wanted to achieve. For example I had read that it usually takes about 2 years to become profitable so I made a goal of breaking even my first year.

I believe that making BR and the limit goal are important but what should they be set at? Was my above goal a good one or was it off?

Easy E
07-22-2003, 10:31 AM
"I believe that making BR" - was this "building a bankroll"?

one tip- this is the Beginner's section. Lean towards explaining acronyms.

"For example I had read that it usually takes about 2 years to become profitable so I made a goal of breaking even my first year."

First, where did you read this? Second, depends on how much you play as to whether this is a reasonable or underachieving goal.

asdf1234
07-23-2003, 02:26 AM
If it takes anybody more than two years to start winning at most low limit games, his or her basic understanding of poker is horrible.

Stu Pidasso
07-23-2003, 02:45 AM
It took me 6 months to beat the .5/1 paradise poker game. I would buy in for 50 bucks, if I busted out I read books and forums till next payday, then bought in again. Eventually I got to a point where I never busted out. Poker became a self sustaining hobby for about a year. Now I am starting to earn some significant income.

Stu
Stu