PDA

View Full Version : should I have dumped this?

nortonmalc
12-18-2005, 01:50 PM
PokerStars Game #3367317037: Tournament #16586779, Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2005/12/18 - 12:09:52 (ET)
Table '16586779 33' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: lazyrob (3000 in chips)
Seat 2: hairball (4960 in chips)
Seat 3: nortonmalc (4910 in chips)
Seat 4: Pickster00 (4590 in chips)
Seat 5: Dee & Joey (6960 in chips)
Seat 6: oldmanricky (5570 in chips)
Seat 7: pucky02 (4970 in chips)
Seat 9: Nikki97 (2980 in chips)
hairball: posts small blind 10
nortonmalc: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to nortonmalc [Js 4s]
Pickster00: calls 20
rvrbgood is connected
Dee & Joey has timed out
Dee & Joey: folds
Dee & Joey is sitting out
oldmanricky: calls 20
pucky02: folds
Nikki97: folds
lazyrob: calls 20
hairball: calls 10
nortonmalc: checks
*** FLOP *** [2s Qs 3s]
Dee & Joey has returned
hairball: checks
nortonmalc: bets 100
Pickster00: folds
oldmanricky: calls 100
lazyrob: raises 2880 to 2980 and is all-in
hairball: folds
nortonmalc: raises 1910 to 4890 and is all-in
oldmanricky: calls 4790
*** TURN *** [2s Qs 3s] [4h]
*** RIVER *** [2s Qs 3s 4h] [8s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
nortonmalc: shows [Js 4s] (a flush, Queen high)
oldmanricky: shows [7s As] (a flush, Ace high)
oldmanricky collected 3820 from side pot
lazyrob: shows [Qd 9s] (a flush, Queen high)
oldmanricky collected 9040 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 12860 Main pot 9040. Side pot 3820. | Rake 0
Board [2s Qs 3s 4h 8s]
Seat 1: lazyrob (button) showed [Qd 9s] and lost with a flush, Queen high
Seat 2: hairball (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 3: nortonmalc (big blind) showed [Js 4s] and lost with a flush, Queen high
Seat 4: Pickster00 folded on the Flop
Seat 5: Dee & Joey folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: oldmanricky showed [7s As] and won (12860) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 7: pucky02 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Nikki97 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

1p0kerb0y
12-18-2005, 02:23 PM
What is the buy in for this tournament? Or rather, how good/bad do you think the field is?

12-18-2005, 02:24 PM
This looks like a deep stacks tournament judging by the chips, if not, these guys certainly have got busy lol.

Copernicus
12-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Tough to dump it, but I hate the reraise.

There are only a few hands that could justify lazyrobs push...a made flush, AA or KK each with the spade, or as a long shot top pair with the As. The pairs would almost certainly have raised pre-flop, so I have to believe he has a made flush or the As and a pair. 13 of the 28 made flushes he could have include the A or K, so you are a very slight favorite over a random flush, and there are the other As hands that you are a head of. That reasons for at least calling his push.

What can the reraise gain though? With a made flush you have no great desire to isolate against lazyrob in the first place, and also, what could possibly call the push and call?
Basically the same hands that I put lazyrob on, but a made flush even more likely because he's only getting even money on the sidepot making a draw less likely.

Assuming you call, ricky will come over the top, and then you have to put him on the made A or K flush, and its time to get out. I know it feels like you cant fold because you are pot committed but this is one time when I run and hide and be thankful that the bigger of the 2 stacks was behind me and saved me 1900 chips and a chance to come back.

adanthar
12-18-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There are only a few hands that could justify lazyrobs push...a made flush, AA or KK each with the spade, or as a long shot top pair with the As.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, y'know, Qx9s.

These guys suck; don't expect them to have anything worthwhile. If the other guy had overpushed behind him you might have had a chance to fold, but there's no way you should fold this hand as it is. Note that even if he tells you he has a flush, you should still call.

Copernicus
12-18-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There are only a few hands that could justify lazyrobs push...a made flush, AA or KK each with the spade, or as a long shot top pair with the As.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, y'know, Qx9s.

These guys suck; don't expect them to have anything worthwhile. If the other guy had overpushed behind him you might have had a chance to fold, but there's no way you should fold this hand as it is. Note that even if he tells you he has a flush, you should still call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Qx9s? They cant suck that bad! And if the bigger stack tells you he has the flush I dont think its a call any longer. One of the two of them is likely to have the made flush ( a coin flip to beat you) and if the second one doesnt also have a made flush he has the overspade and is 25% to beat you.

Since you dont know which hand is which, and very little chance of winning the main pot, and worse than a coin flip for the side pot, I still dont like reraising or calling the reraise.

adanthar
12-18-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Qx9s? They cant suck that bad!

[/ QUOTE ]

tee hee

12-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I think you played it fine - the push from villian #1 is most likely either a made hand trying to protect from the flush draw or the nut draw or some combo of the two (and since it was a limped pot the made hand could be a set or 2s or 3s or literally any 2 pair or top pair w/ a spade) - minimally you have to call. I like the push in that it prices out Villian #2 if he called w/ the nut draw. I would have been shocked to see Villian #1 turn over a hand that beat yours and you were just unlucky Villian #2 flopped the nuts. The vast majority of the time you pick up 3000 chips from Villian #1 (although I wouldn't have had Q w/ 9s in my range for him).

nortonmalc
12-18-2005, 03:55 PM
It's a Deep Stacks 10+1, only 10 minutes in. I already had the feeling that the pusher was a bit of a maniac, although I had no real reads on the cold caller. I figured he had the As, but didn't think he made his flush yet. I was thinking that I was probably pot committed if I called, so I figured I'd push, but in retrospect, probably calling would have been the better play in a deep stacks tourney.

Dan Mezick
12-18-2005, 06:43 PM
You are supposed to check the flop or make a minraise to probe (see who calls) or maybe a 2X bet (to STEAL right there) and then fold to any raise. You are:

1. out of position
2. holding a non-nut flush draw
3. looking at "nothing" (unraised preflop) pot.

You are supposed to NOT be interested in these kinds of pots, especuially with no position and cards that can kill you when you chase them.

The huge raise was just immaturity talking. Come on, get better. Playing this at all was very ill advised.

You are supposed to check or make a small postflop be and be disinterested in this 100% if anyone bets.

And you know that.