PDA

View Full Version : Hand Eval Request (Cojones Grandes or Mucho Stupido?)

12-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Ok, here's the scene .... I've come from way down to make the FT in the big 2100+ runner UB holiday event. Good timely cards, a bit of luck on a few hands, getting paid with good hands and surviving a couple of beats are all part of the equation.

A few hands earlier, I'm comfortably in 3rd and get the villain all-in with my KK versus his TT. He rivers the Ten. Ufff!!! What can I say? We've all been there, done that.

Now a few hands later I find myself in 7th of 7 left and on the short stack. And the hand unfolds. The villain's preflop limp and call of my flop raise seem so tentative that I think I might possibly be behind, or possibly ahead, but can push him off the hand on the turn, or maybe I hit my gutshot which should be good.

I wasn't surprised at the flop raise call. I was surprised that he called the turn push and absolutely stunned that he showed what he showed after that call.

My thoughts were I needed to make a score to get back into the top 5 which would have been good enough for a free qualification for the Million Dollar Tourney. I'm not thinking about the money. I'm thinking about rebuilding my stack so I can be as aggressive as I like to be at the FT. I'm thinking about trying to get myself into a position to win. I thought the opponent was weak enough to lay the hand down.

Anyway here's the hand (sorry couldn't get the coverter to work). Thanks in advance for all replies.

Hand #10348473-18 at Sun7pmBounty-Final (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 18/Dec/05 00:46:26

PlayerA is at seat 0 with 387950.
PlayerB is at seat 2 with 312115.
PlayerC is at seat 3 with 354780.
PlayerD is at seat 5 with 666250.
Villain is at seat 7 with 439680.
Hero is at seat 8 with 319430.
PlayerE is at seat 9 with 735795.
The button is at seat 3.

PlayerA posts ante (1600).
PlayerB posts ante (1600).
PlayerC posts ante (1600).
PlayerD posts ante (1600).
Villain posts ante (1600).
Hero posts ante (1600).
PlayerE posts ante (1600).
Villain posts the small blind of 8000.
Hero posts the big blind of 16000.

PlayerA: -- --
PlayerB: -- --
PlayerC: -- --
PlayerD: -- --
Villain: -- --
Hero: 6c 2c
PlayerE: -- --

Pre-flop:
PlayerE folds. PlayerA folds. PlayerB folds. PlayerC folds. PlayerD folds. Villain calls. Hero checks.

Flop (board: 3s 5s 2h):

Villain bets 43200. Hero raises to 86400. Villain calls.

Turn (board: 3s 5s 2h 9c):
Villain checks.Hero goes all-in for 215430.Villain calls.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

Villain shows 3c 4c. Hero shows 6c 2c.

River (board: 3s 5s 2h 9c Js):
(no action in this round)

Showdown:
Villain has 3c 3s 5s 9c Js: a pair of threes.
Hero has 6c 2c 2h 9c Js: a pair of deuces.

Hand #10348473-18 Summary:
No rake is taken for this hand.
Villain wins 646860 with a pair of threes.

CardSharpCook
12-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Steve, you'll get better responses if you don't include the results. As for the play, it's not great. It is a bluff with about 6 outs, as many as 9 outs. However, you are up against a guy who has an undefined hand. He limped from the SB. He could easily have 93, 46, Q5, 45, etc, etc. You have no idea what it is you are trying to get him to fold. If I were him, I would put you on 4x, a weak 5, or a bluff.

The problem with this play is that you saw the flop and said "I HAVE A PAIR!!!!" Well, sometimes the best thing to do when you flop a pair is to fold. Yes, I realize that there is also a gut-shot draw, but I think you are still guilty of the common problem of becoming too attached to a hand in the battle of the blinds.