PDA

View Full Version : AQs on the button, Party million, push or standard raise?

shaniac
12-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Recently moved to the table. About 135 players left, 180 are in the money, first is miles away.

Blinds are 750/1500 I have 18K, probably 3-4K below avg and AQSs on the button.

Havent plaid a hand yet at the table. BB just won a huge pot where he limped with AA, got 3 limps behind and managed to get it allin preflop vs KK with 7K extra dead money. He now has a big stack. 55K or so. SB has me covered by 10K.

Should I open push the button, or make a standard raise? If I go for the latter option, I'm not folding to an allin by either blind right?

12-17-2005, 09:50 PM
i like the standard raise here for two reasons: (a) might get a smaller ace in the blinds to come over the top; (b) good chance of BB bigstack attempting a resteal... NO WAY YOU ARE FOLDING TO A PUSH!!!

Greeksquared
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I would just push as if you raise to 4500 or whatever you really dont want a call. A thinking/gambling/idiot player can call and push any flop and then you will have to fold. A push will get calls from AT, AJ and let you see all 5 cards against a pair. I guess I just hate the chance at getting outplayed, which will has the ability to happen 60 percent (when you miss) of the time on a called flop. You only have 12 BBs.

If im bb theres a good chance I call an all in with AT,AJ.

So id rather get the sure 2250 then gamble for an extra 3000.

ansky451
12-17-2005, 10:00 PM
I see no reason to push. I'm not afraid of playing post flop if I miss, and theres a good chance someone is going to reraise you, which you want.

Exitonly
12-17-2005, 10:09 PM
standard raise, insta-call a push.

sirio11
12-17-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see no reason to push. I'm not afraid of playing post flop if I miss, and theres a good chance someone is going to reraise you, which you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just have to add that one play I'm still to analize and I have seen many pros doing it versus a stack like Shane's here, it's calling a standard raise, hoping to flop a pair and then let you bet the flop to call (or raise) you all in.
If you're a player that always makes continuation bets, then maybe the size of the raise should not be standard. (kind of lazy now to do the math)

ansky451
12-17-2005, 10:42 PM
So you mean that the BB will call with something real marginal like T8o or the like, and check raise all in with middle pair or any piece basically-- because shane has to push/bet the flop?

12-17-2005, 11:41 PM
I like a raise of 2.5 big blinds here, it makes the pot a lot smaller and if you do wish to make a CB here and get raised you will have only invested around 5 big blinds or so. If you get reraised pre, I'd either call all-in or go all-in.

Melchiades
12-18-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
standard raise, insta-call a push.

[/ QUOTE ]