PDA

View Full Version : Can QQ fold here?

12-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Watching my buddy $20 Poker Stars SNG. On the bubble and play has been fairly cagegy so the last couple of rounds.

Stacks

SB 2,500
BB 4,500
UTG 3,000
Hero 4,000

Blinds 100/200

Dealt to hero QQ
UTG raises to 400, Hero calls, SB folds, BB pushes all-in, UTG folds.

I don't play a lot of SNGs but I would be interested in the consensus here. Call and risk being out of the money or live to fight another day?

If it was one of my ring games, I wouldn't be playing this short. But if I were, I'd raise to 1,000 and probably fold to an all-in. What's BB's range for this push?

tigerite
12-17-2005, 09:32 AM
After UTG's min raise, which basically means nothing anyway, there is 700 in the pot. Call me old fashioned but that's almost 20% of our stack, so I'd just move in.

12-17-2005, 10:37 AM
instacall because of your initial foregone chance to raise..

If, however, you had reraised the opening min-raiser,, you might have more evidence that you are beaten by an agressive move by the BB..

I like a raise to 2000 here. It carries a threat of pot-committal while still enticing a bad call out of the initial raiser, and it allows you to still get away from a doomsday senario (two callers and an A K 2 flop)

As it stands now you two look like a pair of donks and he wants to chase you out of the pot. So punish him.

12-17-2005, 10:41 AM
You can fold it if you like....

But it will be seriously -ev

12-17-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's BB's range for this push?

[/ QUOTE ]If you're going to fold QQ to his push, then I'd guess his pushing range is pretty much any two.

12-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Call this all day long.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-17-2005, 11:43 AM
His flat-call of the UTG minraise was terrible. 4 handed on the bubble, QQ is an automatic push after the minraise.

Your later suggestion that you'd raise to 1000 with the intention of folding to a reraise is even worse. You don't put 25% of your chips in the pot on the bubble with any intention of folding. Deep stack cash game, maybe, but that's a completely different situation than this one.

12-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Just push in the first place then you don't have this problem

12-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys, the consensus seems to be call and raise initially, which was my instinct all along.

FWIW my buddy folded. He is an experienced SNG player so I respect his opinion. I think his reasoning for just calling was to try and trap UTG. When BB came over the top, he didn't think his range was wide enough to call. He would rather live and fight another day. He folded and went on to win the SNG.