PDA

View Full Version : People Just Can't Get Away From Big Pairs - Good For Me

Barry
07-21-2003, 02:09 PM
I was playing 10/20 at Foxwoods over the weekend. The games were pretty good but they could get wild at times, and the variance was much bigger than I normally experience there. Here are a couple of hands that show how some folks never think about what others have, but only what they have.

Hand 1

On Sunday afternoon the table had a couple of clueless types, a few LAG’s, one bordering on being a semi-maniac and 2 pretty decent players. In general, the game had gotten pretty loose and moderately aggressive; raises were definitely not any way to limit the field.

The main characters in this hand were the BB, who was definitely clueless, and the CO who was a LAG type.

I’m 2 off the button with 6’s

2 limpers to me, I limp, CO, button (decent player) limp, SB completes, BB (clueless) raises, everybody calls.

Flop is 6 T rag, with 2 diamonds.

SB checks, BB bets, I call, CO raises, button cold calls, SB folds, BB 3-bets, I cap, CO and BB call.

Turn is a non diamond rag

Checked to me, I bet, call, call. I’m praying for a black card.

River is a black T.

Checked to me, I bet, CO raises, BB calls, I 3-bet, both call.

I announce my 6’s full of T’s, CO shows his Td 4d for the flush draw and rivered trips, BB holds up his pocket K’s and says, what else can I do with K’s in the pocket. I say keep calling!

Hand 2

Sunday night JTG51 and I sat down and played together for a while. At the time this hand came, we were shorthanded (either 5 or 6 handed). JTG51 was in the SB, large lady (LL) was UTG and I was in the BB with 76o. LL limps, JTG completes and I check.

Flop comes 5 4 T (I think) and puts a flush draw on the board.

As I’m getting ready to bet, JTG51 bets, I call, LL calls

Turn is a red 3

JTG bets, I smooth call (hoping for the over call from the LL and planning on going to war on the river), LL then raises (I couldn't have planned that better), JTG 3-bets, I cap, LL and JTG call. Please JTG, just have a set.

River is an 8 (I think) and putting a flush on the board

Check, bet, call, call

I turn over my hand, of course JTG shows his 76o, LL flashes AA before she tosses them into the muck. JTG tells me he should have checkraised the river. LL was very consistent. She always limped with KK or AA and then raised the turn and she always raised with big A’s and other big cards.

JTG51
07-21-2003, 02:24 PM
You got the post flop details exactly right on the second hand. The one thing I'll add is that the 3h on the turn put both a spade and a heart flush draw on the board. I also thought there was another limper preflop, not that it matters.

I'm still unhappy that I didn't check raise the river. It was crystal clear to me that you had the nuts on the turn also, so I planned on check raising any river card. I didn't want to bet and have you raise, forcing LL to have to call 2 cold. For some reason, when the possible flush came on the river I choked. I'm still kicking myself about it.

RockLobster
07-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Great post, Barry. I see the same thing in online play very regularly, along with a plethora of chat about how unlucky they are.

A bet saved is just as good as a bet won.

Dynasty
07-21-2003, 03:32 PM
If you always bet your overpairs and never folded them after the flop, I'm sure you'd show a healthy profit. These are hardly huge mistakes by your opponents.

Barry
07-21-2003, 04:23 PM
In hand 1, if I was the BB and posted that hand, everybody would have flamed me (rightfully so) for calling the 2 bets on the river and perhaps even last last raise on the turn.

In hand 2, if I was the LL, I would have been told to lay it down when it was capped on the turn, a 3 BB mistake.