PDA

View Full Version : What a great flop

12-17-2005, 01:58 AM
At least that's what I thought when I first looked at it...

I didn't have many hands on either the button or the CO. Button is 29/0/0.6 and CO is 43/7/1.6 over those hands.

Party Poker (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players, 6SB)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, CO raises, button raises, SB folds, BB folds, Hero caps, MP1 folds, CO calls, button calls

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 9.5BB)</font>
.Hero bets, CO raises, button calls, hero calls

River: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 15.5BB)</font>
Hero checks, CO bets, button calls, hero calls

Final Pot:

Harv72b
12-17-2005, 02:03 AM
Raise preflop.

Based on the unknown status of your two tagalongs and the fact that you didn't PFR, this looks about right. Although I think you're looking at a flopped set for a normal CO a lot, the pot is so big that he doesn't have to be overplaying KJ too often for your calldown to be correct.

You can maybe think about just calling down after the flop 3-bet, though, especially given that you don't have a read on CO (although what you do have makes him look very aggressive).

TheHip41
12-17-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

Based on the unknown status of your two tagalongs and the fact that you didn't PFR, this looks about right. Although I think you're looking at a flopped set for a normal CO a lot, the pot is so big that he doesn't have to be overplaying KJ too often for your calldown to be correct.

You can maybe think about just calling down after the flop 3-bet, though, especially given that you don't have a read on CO (although what you do have makes him look very aggressive).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you got the flop action just right. It Hero bet, raise, 3-bet(from the button who is .6 aggression now)

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: J, 6, 3 (6 players, 6SB)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, CO raises, button raises, SB folds, BB folds, Hero caps, MP1 folds, CO calls, button calls

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know how to play this hand, because I would have raised preflop, which would tell you a little more about what's going on. As is, there are no draws really, and you are probably drawing dead.

I'm folding the flop when it's two back to me.

and this is from the guy who never folds

Harv72b
12-17-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you got the flop action just right. It Hero bet, raise, 3-bet(from the button who is .6 aggression now)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right; I thought the raising was all done by the CO.

Either way, though, when Hero limps in preflop there's no reason that another AJ or even a KJ wouldn't think he had the best hand on this flop. I don't think you can fold at any point in the hand, at least not without firmer reads on your opponents.

12-17-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't know how to play this hand, because I would have raised preflop, which would tell you a little more about what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. Out of curiosity, what is a reasonable raising range from early position (first in)? Which of the following would you raise: KQo, KJo, QJs, JTs?

GHL
12-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Almost none of them.... (KQo, KJo, QJs, JTs)

At lower limits AJ os is barely playable UTG (depending on how the table is running). IMO....

GHL
12-17-2005, 03:33 PM
What I forgot to add.... if you're going to play AJ os UTG it must be for a raise.... or you'll get 6 callers and have very little info as to where you stand..

thejameser
12-17-2005, 04:29 PM
you want to raise preflop as AJo plays better against fewer people as it is usually a top pair hand and top pair fairs best against fewer people to draw against it. i don't know how many hands you have on the button but when players with aggression factors less than 1.00 start RERAISING(or even raising, for that matter)it is time to start getting out of the way without a strong hand, a strong draw, or both. against a complete unknown i would call down, but if i put any merit in my statistical read on the button i could fold and not think twice about it.

12-17-2005, 06:17 PM
By default, KQo, KJo, QJs, JTs are not raising hands in early position; you will only (EDIT: disproportionately) cause worse worse hands to fold, and all better hands will call. If you want to adjust your table image you can raise KQo in early position, or sometimes, if you are so much better than your opponents. Fold KJo EP. You can raise QJs/JTs early if people call too much, ie, you can raise them and expect 5 callers anyway. With AJo, it is usually worth playing at lower levels because your opponents will often call with too many worse hands. Raise if it will cut down the field, limp if it will not.

damaniac
12-17-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By default, KQo, KJo, QJs, JTs are not raising hands in early position; you will only cause worse worse hands to fold, and all better hands will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What game do you play in where this is true? I don't know that I've found one yet.

12-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I concede that "only" is too strong. By "default", I mean that the players know what they are doing, and the table is not too tight or too loose. They do not have to be better than I, but they know the value of hands. I assume, by default, that opponents are good until I prove otherwise. When I see evidence they are making mistakes I start raising more hands. So to answer your question: all of them.

Also keep in mind that I am talking to a person how demonstrates by his question that he is new to the game. To that type of player, this is my advice.