PDA

View Full Version : Top pair poor kicker

memphis
07-21-2003, 12:13 PM
This is the kind of hand I never know quite how to play. Normally I get them playing Axs or Kxs and miss the flush draw but get top pair. In this case I was playing a .5/1 Party game with players I didn't know.

I was dealt A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif in the small blind

New EP player who had posted checked, button called, I completed and BB checked.

Flop was T /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
It was checked to the button who bet. I called, BB called and EP folded.

Turn was 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
checked to button who bet. I call, BB calls

River was J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
Checked to button who bets, I call, BB folds
Button has QJo for a pair of jacks and I take the pot.

I won the hand, but I don't feel good about how I played. How could I have done better?

RockLobster
07-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Hi Memphis--

Flop was checked to the button who bet. I called, BB called and EP folded.

I would raise here:
- I may have the best hand.
- I want to have a better idea where I stand while the betting is still cheap.

You ended up playing this hand more passively than you should have, imo. You completed the SB realistically hoping for an a-high garbage flop. The flop was pretty good, you should come out firing until someone gives you a reason to slow down...

Take care--

tj00
07-21-2003, 02:33 PM
I would fold this pre-flop. Bet the flop or checkraise the button. Many people when on the button feel it is their god given duty to bet when checked to.

JTG51
07-21-2003, 02:40 PM
If you don't feel comfortable playing A7 on that kind of flop, then don't play A7.

I'd check raise the button. He could be betting all kinds of hands that you beat.

onegymrat
07-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Memphis,
The best way to play A7o is not to play it at all, especially in the worst position. With that out of the way, with a flop like that, you must keep betting until someone slows you down. Good luck.

Bob T.
07-21-2003, 04:10 PM
One play that I use in this situation is to check the flop, and then see what happens.

Sometimes and early position player will bet, and then I usually throw my hand away.

Sometimes it will be bet and raised before it gets to me, and then I fold.

Sometime it will get checked through, and then I can bet the turn, and they will put me on either a steal, or maybe middle pair, and they will call me down.

Sometimes, it will get checked to a late position player who bets, and then I will checkraise, to eliminate the rest of the field, and then continue to bet until the river and hope that he has middle pair.

I might play middle pair Good kicker, or a nonoverpair pocket pair the same way.

bernie
07-21-2003, 11:16 PM
it was set up for you....

c/r the flop and lead the turn

b

Joe Tall
07-22-2003, 07:29 AM
If your going to play Ax in the SB and an Ace flops, bet out and find out where you are at on a cheaper street. Passivity can be expensive, I suggest representing a hand here. In your hand, check-raise the flop the Button may have position-bet.