PDA

View Full Version : How was my play?

SoBeDude
07-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Party 5-10. Typical variety of players.

I've recently had several second best hands at the table.

There is one opponent in LP that is tough/tricky and aggressive. I respect him so far (this is the first time I've played with him, and he's up big money).

I limp UTG with black sevens. 4 callers, including Mr Tough, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop comes: J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Ok. I flopped a set and I don't have the right seven.

Checked to me I bet out. 2 callers, Mr. Tough raises, folded to me I call planning to check-raise the turn.

Now the first caller of my bet re-raises! next player calls 2 cold. Mr Tough caps it. I call 2 more, next two call. Four to see the turn in a Huge pot.

Turn comes: T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Possibly two flush draws out there. checked around to Mr. Tough who bets, I check-raise. next player calls 2 cold, we finally get one to fold, and Mr Tough 3-bets it! I call, other player calls. 3 to see the river.

Where am I?

River is: K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I check. next player check-folds, Mr Tough bets, I call.

My hand is good for a $222 pot.

Hand history shows Mr. Tough went to war with J9o.

How was my play?

-Scott

bernie
07-21-2003, 10:35 AM
"Ok. I flopped a set and I don't have the right seven."

whatever this means....

you have a set with 2 draws on the board. im jamming this on the flop and am expecting lots of action. especially with an aggressive player, you may get lots of action on the turn too.

use the aggressive player to your advantage on as many streets as possible in this case.

b

pilchard
07-21-2003, 11:26 AM
I'm getting busy on the flop but definitely slowing down on the turn.

Any 8, or QK now has you beaten. The flop betting indicates that somebody MAY (although unlikely given preflop betting) have a higher set. The problem is that if there is an 8 (or maybe two) out there and/or a QK the turn could get capped. If you are behind you may only have 1 out, at best 10. You want to see the river card and do not want to be paying 3 bets to see it, because this would usually mean that you need the board to pair. Your raise is not going to get a flush draw to fold given the size of the pot. I'd check call the turn and river (unless the board pairs on the river).

Dynasty
07-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Ok. I flopped a set and I don't have the right seven.

A truly mysterious comment.

You should have 3-bet the flop yourself. Stop screwing around.

SoBeDude
07-21-2003, 04:07 PM
A truly mysterious comment.

blame it on female distraction. I have no idea now where I was going with that.

But in retrospect I surely should have raised the flop myself. lucky(?) me it was capped which hid the strength of my hand.

-Scott

CrackerZack
07-21-2003, 04:47 PM
you have to 3-bet this flop. This board doesn't get more drawish. Turn made it more drawish, lead out and call a raise. I'd probably making a crying call on the river even with that terrible river card.