PDA

View Full Version : 2 tables remaining

rhinoceros
07-21-2003, 01:36 AM
Playing at UB, 170 entries, 13 players left. I hold AJo in BB. I have 11,000 in chips. This is slightly below mean, but well above median; the 2 biggest stacks are at the other table.

Blinds are 800/1600. UTG (7 handed) makes it 5600. (since they added a 'raise pot' button, people use it very frequently). All fold to SB who calls all-in (he is a few hundred short of a full call). I have UTG covered, but by only 1650.

Now, I don't think my AJo is much of a hand. But the payout schedule is very heavily wieghted towards the top. 11th-20th all pay 1.1%. 1st, 2nd, 3rd pay 30%, 20%, 13% respectively. And I think SB may have a seriously sub-par hand, expecting me to fold and he gets about 3:2 on his call.

So I call, and go all-in on the flop (I was planning to bet any flop, unless it hit me REALLY hard). This is pretty much the same as going all-in pre flop.

Probably I tried to get too fancy and should just fold. Any thoughts?

Rickfish
07-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Yes, I think you should fold. The plan of betting the flop is ill-conceived because the SB is going to be in a showdown for most of it anyway. So you are hoping that UTG folds AND you can beat SB.

You now start thinking about how the prize money is structured and decide to gamble to make a big stack? I wouldn't. You have got this far without doing so (I assume) so why not carry on playing normally and maybe you will still have average chips when there are 3 of you left.

Jon Matthews
07-21-2003, 09:44 AM
fold to the UTG raise if you have AJo let alone the all in guy IMO

Jon

Chicago Kid
07-21-2003, 10:27 AM
I'd have folded. UTG's pot-size raise might have been just someone using the Gap Concept, but the all-in call is legitimately scary enough to warrant a laydown. The all-in isn't going anywhere, and probably called with AK or a solid pair.

You're in good position--why risk getting crippled on a fair-to-middlin' hand?

Copernicus
07-21-2003, 02:36 PM
"This is pretty much the same as going all-in pre flop."

Not even close to the same.

MtSmalls
07-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Drop that hand like third period French! Even if the pay schedule is heavily weighted towards the top, get into the money first before worrying about it! 1.1% is going to give you a better than 50% return on the money. You are in decent shape. Gamble later.