PDA

View Full Version : value bet river with overpair?

12-16-2005, 02:30 PM
a few hands into the game, no reads, the BB is 40/5/1.5.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB ($58.79)
UTG ($70.32)
Hero ($49.45)
CO ($20.45)
Button ($48.50)
SB ($89.88)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $4, BB calls $4.

Turn: ($18) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, SB calls $10, BB calls $10.

River: ($48) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero ????

RESULTS IN WHITE : <font color="white"> HER CHECKS AND TAKES THE POT, SB HAD A5/images/graemlins/spade.gif AND BB HAD TT </font>

so, bet more on any street? bet river? how much?

4_2_it
12-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Check behind that river. No worse hand is calling you. Every imaginable draw and monster hand is out there. Your line is fine. I think you did a good job keeping control of the hand and got yourself to a showdown.

12-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Yes, I would ask myself what hands are they calling 2/3 pot bet on the flop and a ~1/2 pot bet on the turn with. The big blind is getting better pot odds for a drawing hand because the small blind calls first.

Well I think they could have pocket pairs, flush draws or maybe someone hit their 7 for a top pair and a good kicker.

With the overpair or the top pair I would expect a bet from them on the flop. Or maybe a check raise. A check call I would expect from only a passive player. So I wouldn't expect them to have this holding unless I had a read they were passive.

Flush draw. I would expect one (at least) had the flush draw.

Maybe someone is calling loosely for a inside straight draw with ace four or ace five (wheel). Maybe someone is calling loosely with middle or low pair (a2, a3 that would be a poor play I think).

Well the river just made the flush draw a flush which I think is likely. And if someone check called it down with top pair they just made trips.

As for their checks on the river I have seen enough players do that (going for a check raise) with a made flush on the river even though it is unlikely anyone else is going to bet that river.

You might get a call from a small bet here like 1/3 pot with the overpair but it isn't worth it. Someone has the flush here.

Just checked the results: I was wrong about that flush. It was the gutshot + middle pair and the overpair. But I think your check was the right play on the river.

edit:
This makes more sense now.

The small blind:
On the flop - The small blind checked and called with the inside straight draw thinking perhaps that the flop was pretty ragged if he paired his ace that might win and you may have made a continuation bet there. If you are tight preflop I would expect you to have an ace with a better kicker or a pocket pair so I wouldn't expect the ace to be good. I think it would have been better for him to bet out as a semi bluff then to check call.

On the turn - The small blind had a better draw because he paired up. So that explains his call there.

The big blind:

on the flop: If you regularly make continuation bets then he might have been going for a check raise. Or if you are very aggressive he might have been going for the check call. After you bet and the small blind called maybe that scared him from the raise. Maybe he was is just a passive player.

on the turn: He still has the overpair and elects to call.

Morrek
12-16-2005, 02:56 PM
I'd bet more on flop/turn, good river check.

12-16-2005, 03:43 PM
the 7 made the flush and trips for tp and it seemed like the worst card possible . i thought one of them could have 88-JJ and i wasn't sure about other hands, maybe one of them had A7 and he was now scared of the flush.plus i've seen enough donks who love to check raise you on the river, they seem to get a kick out of it.

12-16-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet more on flop/turn, good river check.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this - pot size bet on the flop to minimize drawing odds and hopefully take it down right there.

Scary big pot for .25/.50 and an overpair. Check at the end was very reasonable.