PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the shadows?

microbet
12-16-2005, 02:06 PM
I just wanted so see if I could start a thread about the merits of revealing one's screen name. For a while it was like I didn't want someone to know who I was unless I knew who they were, but I'm seeing so many regulars over and over that it's not like I'm a complete mystery to them anyway.

bigt439
12-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Less they know the better. I barely tell anyone.

tigerite
12-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Same here.. and I like it to stay that way /images/graemlins/grin.gif

12-16-2005, 03:03 PM
There was a post by yugo, then I resfreshed and it had disappeared? Am I going crazy now?

To be on topic, I don't see why it would be good if everybody knew my party sn.

tigerite
12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Well there was one where we all posted our now defunct ones from MultiPoker, Eurobet etc. I don't care if anyone knows those - especially as I was playing the $11-33 then anyway so I bet nobody would even have a clue. I had some great Empire ones that never saw the light of day. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

skipperbob
12-16-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted so see if I could start a thread about the merits of revealing one's screen name. For a while it was like I didn't want someone to know who I was unless I knew who they were, but I'm seeing so many regulars over and over that it's not like I'm a complete mystery to them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play as "SkipperBob"; I want 2+2'er's to be there /images/graemlins/smile.gifThey Stink On Ice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

microbet
12-16-2005, 03:15 PM
It's not that it would help, but maybe it wouldn't make any difference and it's not really worth going to any trouble to protect.

It seems like most of the big $215ers here don't protect their screen names and maybe this is because they see the same people so many times it doesn't really matter.

Daliman
12-16-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not that it would help, but maybe it wouldn't make any difference and it's not really worth going to any trouble to protect.

It seems like most of the big $215ers here don't protect their screen names and maybe this is because they see the same people so many times it doesn't really matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the higher-limit players would rather know who each other are so they can avoid each other. Selective tabling is VERY important in $215's.

Gramps
12-16-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the higher-limit players would rather know who each other are so they can avoid each other. Selective tabling is VERY important in $215's.

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly helps, and helps one's earn %, but if you're playing 8-10 tables at once in sets, it's kind of hard to do. Of course, by people knowing who you are (or at least knowing you're a winning player), some "selective tablers" you want to avoid may just avoid you at times, helping your own lazy arse and your earn % a tad...so even if you don't selectively table yourself, people knowing you may help you a bit.

splashpot
12-16-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't really care if people know who I am. I'm still playing the 33s though. Barely moving into the 55s. I suppose it did hurt me that one time johnnybeef made me close my pushing range by telling me he would call with any 2. In my defense, I had seen him call with trash before so I did have reason to believe him.

Newt_Buggs
12-16-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to protect my screen name, but at the $215s I don't think that it really matters. The only advantage that I can see from being secret is that when people play with you the first couple of times they have no reads. If you 8 table the bigger SNGs regularly though everyone will already know you.

12-16-2005, 07:35 PM
I never hid my SN even though I'm a pokern00b. I'm trying to get better and willing to pay tuition to get there. If I lose a buyin to a 2+2er who outplayed me, I would consider it +EV if I found out how.

ZeroPointMachine
12-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Known, solid 2+2ers are the easiest players to put on a very accurate pushing/calling range. I prefer to remain the anonymous donk that gets berated for calling their any 2 push more than I "should".

curtains
12-16-2005, 07:56 PM
I dont ever use table selection...but I hope that good players use it to avoid me.

The Yugoslavian
12-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Donkbluffer,

Yes, I had a post in this thread...you weren't seeing things

It was deleted at the request of the OP (altho I had edited its content anyway)

What my post contained was absolutely no big deal and uninteresting, however.

Yugoslav