PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to catch mono?

tonypaladino
12-16-2005, 01:27 PM
My sister has mono aparently.
I don't want to catch it. Can I assume that since I am not from Alabama, this will not be a problem? Or is it contagious through air and like towels and stuff?

RunDownHouse
12-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Its fairly contagious. Not Ebola-like, but don't use the same utensils, drink after her out of the same cup, chew on her lower lip, etc.

If you use reasonable precautions, you should be ok. As an aside, I lost a ton of weight while I had mono for a month.

eviljeff
12-16-2005, 01:29 PM
webmd.com is a good source for stuff like this, but beware if you start typing in symptoms it will list the scariest possible ailment with those symptoms

12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Quck answer - don't think so.

Web MD (http://www.webmd.com/hw/infection/hw168690.asp)

ScottieK

Jeebus
12-16-2005, 01:39 PM
my roommates didn't get it from me and they smoked on pipes and blunts after me the whole time.
I too lost a bunch of weight, easiest 20 pounds ever.

trotski
12-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I caught this my senior year of high school. I also lost a bunch of weight, it was during football season too, so I couldn't play.

12-16-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my roommates didn't get it from me and they smoked on pipes and blunts after me the whole time.
I too lost a bunch of weight, easiest 20 pounds ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn...I need to get me some mono.

ScottieK

pryor15
12-16-2005, 01:47 PM
when my brother had it, no one else got it, not even his girlfriend. so either it ain't all that contagious or my brother is a loser.

Jeebus
12-16-2005, 02:21 PM
A good case of the stomach flu going around right now works too.

Honestly, I may have even lost more than 20 pounds, but I also couldn't do more than sip broth for 2 weeks. did get two scripts for percocet and some morphine at the hospital.

tolbiny
12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
The bad news is no more making out with her.

Good news, you can still eat her pussy with one of these (http://www.undercovercondoms.com/Condoms/Line-One-Labs/158/Flavored-Dental-Dams-12-Pack.html)

NotMitch
12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
I thought I had mono for a whole year once, turns out I was just really bored.

TheBlueMonster
12-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Apparently I can't catch it. This girl I was hooking up 2 yrs ago suddenly told me she had just come down with mono. A week later we were still hooking up and I was fine.

12-16-2005, 04:42 PM
When I had mono the doc. told me that it's far, far, less likely to be transferred from the body once someone has it. Basically, don't worry about it at all.

I had it for basically 3 total weeks and made out with my gf regularly and she didn't get it.

Got mine in 3rd year of college. Went from 161 to 147 on a 6'0" frame in 10 days. Looked skeletal.

Had HORRIFIC recurring nightmares every night for over 2 weeks, and horrid lower backpains and headaches. MONO BLOWS. It doesn't PWN at ALL.

Be nice to your sister, she's probably going through hell right now. And doctors say it can last much longer than 3 weeks. It's random.

eniven
12-16-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently I can't catch it. This girl I was hooking up 2 yrs ago suddenly told me she had just come down with mono. A week later we were still hooking up and I was fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could actually be infected with the virus and not know it. My ex girlfriend got really bad mono and a few months later I developed a persistant head ached and ended up going to the doctor. They did some blood work and found that I had mono. But I never really got sick at all. My girlfriend was almost hospitalized with it and all that happened to me was I got a headache. So, its quite possible that you have the virus, but not the mono.

Also, my doctor told me that once you get the virus, it always stays with you (though you may never get mono again) and you will go through periods where you can infect people for the rest of your life.

Blarg
12-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Docs told me I had a really severe and unusual form of it, and I was out of commission for almost a year. Even if it's not that contagious, it's like Russian roulette -- the stakes are too high even though the odds look pretty decent. So be extra careful.