PDA

View Full Version : Turn Decision

12-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Party $5+1 SNG

Hero: Harrington Graduate; Pre-flop raises have been
around 4-6x BB.
Villian: Seems to call too many hands and doesn't know how
to let go. Has shown down some marginals and won.

50/100 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL)
Table Table 67824 (Real Money) -- Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 3: Cashtray (1250)
Seat 4: crippledu (790)
Seat 5: dukewell (395)
Seat 7: hitonit (2275)
<font color="red">Seat 8: Hero (2310) </font>
<font color="red">Seat 9: Villian (980) </font>
Cashtray posts big blind (50)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
crippledu folds.
dukewell folds.
hitonit folds.
<font color="red">Hero raises (100) to 100 </font>
Villian calls (100)
Cashtray folds.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
<font color="red">Hero bets (150) </font>
Villian calls (150)

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
<font color="red">Hero bets (200) </font>
Villian raises (400) to 400
<font color="red">Hero ??? </font>

tigerite
12-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Please don't min raise preflop. Check-call the turn. I like the line on the flop and I hope you were planning to 3-bet all in if he raised.

With the line as you've taken it, he's left himself only 300 so the river is going to be crap and you won't be able to fold, so just push.

tigerite
12-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Actually looking at the stacks again, I think you might want to check-raise all-in on the flop instead. I mean the bet planning to 3-bet all-in is okay as well, I guess; just if he bets any meaningful amount the pot will be about 400 and he'll have 600 behind, so you'll be fine to shove.

Yeah, I'd definitely go for c/r all in.

12-16-2005, 12:36 PM
One of my original lines of thinking was that he could have caught any piece of that board or be on the draw himself. My first train of thought was leaning towards calling his turn raise. Would not pushing just be wasting money since he would most certainly call if I did so? For, in my eyes, the only reason to push would be to make him fold and I couldn't see him doing so with $330 left.

tigerite
12-16-2005, 12:41 PM
It really doesn't make much difference. The only reason to call the turn here is so you can induce a bluff if the flush or an ace hits or something like that. But if something like Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits then you can make a terrible fold to a push from him (when he's just on a bluff, or whatever) so that has to be factored in as well.

tigerite
12-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Plus it's a $5. Never underestimate your opponent's ability to suck, and fold when they have ridiculous odds.

12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
Hero bets (200)
<font color="red">Villian raises (400) to 400 </font>
<font color="red">Hero calls (200) </font>

** Dealing River ** : [ K/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
<font color="red">Hero bets (330) </font>
Villian calls (330)
Villian is all-In.
Pot = $2010

<font color="red">Hero wins net +1030 [ Ah Kh ] [ two pairs, kings and fours -- Ah,Kh,Ks,4h,4d ]
</font> Villian lost 980 [ 7c 8c ] [ two pairs, sevens and fours -- Ks,7c,7h,4h,4d

tigerite
12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Well yeah ok that works too. But if it's the Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif your decision is going to be much harder. I still think pushing the turn is the superior play.

tigerite
12-16-2005, 12:59 PM
But then again I'd play the hand differently here anyway from start to finish, so hey.

12-16-2005, 01:02 PM
The reason I posted was because the idea of pushing on the turn after the raise is still lingering in the back of my mind. If I had made a bigger raise on the flop (I only short raised just to do it that once), then he may have though that I had a high pair and folded if I put him all in, which would have been an acceptable result. It would have sucked if a blank came on the river, but I think I would have leaned on his last $330 instead of check-calling just for the possibility that he may fold. Thanks for your assistance. (^_^)

12-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I really couldn't see him dragging a Q through all that just to hope it pops up on the river (or did you mean the turn?). If we turned a Q, however, I think I still will just check and lean on the last $330 on the river, though I am allowing him a card when I could just cut it off right there ........ I see the logic of the turn all in. I shall go eat lunch and reflect. Thanks.

tigerite
12-16-2005, 01:29 PM
As I say never underestimate your opponent's ability to suck! This is a $5.. they probably don't even know what they are doing. I mean look at this guy going broke with 87o, do I need to say more?