PDA

View Full Version : Limit hold'em mtt guide ?

12-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Hey everybody, this is my first post here... I would really like if we could put together a guide to limit hold'em mtt's, divided into early stages, mid stages, late stages or something like that... I'm thinking about playing the 20+2$ Deepstacked tonight on stars, and would like to be well prepared...I would like to hear from anyone who have had some limit mtt's experience... If there has already been a post like this please point me in the right direction... I havent seen a guide to limit mtt's anywhere, and i think that would be a good idea...

Strip /images/graemlins/smile.gif

12-16-2005, 11:26 PM
this would a really good thing, because I like LHE tournies and haven't really seen any discussion on them. just play it like a cash game for the first hour or two (or 5 or 6 in a deepstack) and get agressive when blinds get high and Ms get low.

Melchiades
12-16-2005, 11:30 PM
I managed to buy into the Deepstack $20 LH tourney tonight, thinking it was NL. Huge yawn. Can't even gambool and bust early. After the first break 1(!) player was gone, out of 300.

Ok. Rant over, continue the discussion.

Blindcurve
12-17-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I managed to buy into the Deepstack $20 LH tourney tonight, thinking it was NL. Huge yawn. Can't even gambool and bust early. After the first break 1(!) player was gone, out of 300.

Ok. Rant over, continue the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading is fundamental. Encourage your children.

-D. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

12-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Good question, there has got to be more then just get aggressive when the blinds get big. Even if you have a ten big blind stack you still have to play the hand. I don't know if its standard to just go to the showdown no matter what w/ a hand like AJ when you get short chipped like that.

WillMagic
12-17-2005, 02:51 AM
I'll work on some stuff over the next few days...though really, the best way to get good at limit hold'em tournaments is to get good at limit hold'em, and then read Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players.

Will

12-17-2005, 09:39 AM
In my experience, limit hold'em tournaments tend to be harder to beat than NL. Once the stakes rise, you're really at the mercy of the cards. You can't be as conservative as in NL, because you won't have as many opportunities to double up. On the other hand, you most likely can't push someone you know is drawing out of a pot (or even better give him a chance to call a bet not justified by the pot odds).

In general, Sklansky's "Gap Concept" applies more than ever in limit. Preflop, play your hands strongly if no one has opened, and get the hell out of the pot if anyone shows aggression and you don't have a great hand.

For the record, I'm not saying a good player can't beat a limit tournament. I'm just saying his ROI is likely to be much lower than in no limit, where he has many more tools at his disposal.

12-17-2005, 11:06 AM
KneeCo should be able to give you some hints, making 3 FT in a row but on the other hand, why listen to him, he never wins one /images/graemlins/tongue.gif