PDA

View Full Version : I feel guilty being agressive and winning money

12-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Ok not that guilty. But when at a passive table at Poker Stars with guys that have pictures of their dogs and kids in it, I feel guilty raising all the time and winning their money. They usually do a minimum buy-in for a table and end up broke in 5 minutes. I also start to think they start to leave the table coz of me.

I know I can cure this problem, still... it exists.

Ok here's another question, because I don't want to open another topic. When someone describes they use like
42/19/44. Wot does it mean? 42% vpip, 19pfr over 44 hands? Is that it? And sometimes they ise 55/9 is this 55%vpip and 9%pfr?

And another question, can I get rake back from Pokerstars?

-ty

JackThree
12-16-2005, 08:52 AM
i used to have this problem, i think i still might

Dan Mezick
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
I have the same problem-- I can't find a way to obtain rakebake on Stars either. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Don't feel guilty.

I'm one of those guys on Stars that you're probably taking money off!

I want you to try as hard as possible to take my money

You probably will continue to take my money for the next few months.

Because of you I read more, study more and play more.

Because of you I am more determined.

Because of you I am sure I will be a much better player in the long run.

I don't want to dominate the table and be complacent- that can come later when I've learnt more.

I want to play against people better than myself- I will learn more.

Bottom line: I don't begrudge anyone winning the pot. No one "deserves" to win it- they either win it or they don't. Simple as.

I'm in this for the long haul. Consequently you taking my money now will help me in the future.

Please don't feel guilty- you are doing me a favour.

Regards,
Ian

SenecaJim
12-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Poker is fun. If they are just dabbling around for something to do with entertainment $, why feel guilty? would you rather them loose it at blackjack or roulette?

Pain is Gain.

If they are in it serious, welcome to the world of poker. Who has played for awhile, worked on their game to improve, and not had that " kicked in the balls " feeling a few times in the early days ?

JackThree
12-16-2005, 11:59 AM
i just always worry i'm playing against someone with a gambling problem

raze
12-16-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok not that guilty. But when at a passive table at Poker Stars with guys that have pictures of their dogs and kids in it, I feel guilty raising all the time and winning their money. They usually do a minimum buy-in for a table and end up broke in 5 minutes. I also start to think they start to leave the table coz of me.

Ok here's another question, because I don't want to open another topic. When someone describes they use like
42/19/44. Wot does it mean? 42% vpip, 19pfr over 44 hands? Is that it? And sometimes they ise 55/9 is this 55%vpip and 9%pfr?

-ty

[/ QUOTE ]
Chat them up a bit. Ask them if they're up, and if they say no, ask them if they're careful with their playing limits. Also turn the avatars off

SenecaJim
12-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Nobody wants to take advantage of a serious problem like that, but this description doesn't sound like it. Problem gamblers don't bust out in 5 minutes and go away.

12-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Are you cheating? The rules of poker are pretty straight forward, the best hand at show down wins the money. You aren't responsible for other people's actions, only your own. You aren't going to change anyone by some chat at an on-line table. If someone is giving away their money you want to get it because if you go soft on them someone else is going to do it.

12-16-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-ty

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really feel guilty then perhaps poker aint for you.

However, you should remember that most of the people are there for entertainment not winning. Thus, you taking their money is their entertainment and if they're willing to pay that then who the hell are you to say otherwise?

Or you could just turn off the avatars, never look at chat, and pretend it's just a video game.

12-16-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you really feel guilty then perhaps poker aint for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

ScottieK

Xhad
12-16-2005, 03:04 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4095275&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1)

12-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Well would this mean that having a picture of your dog or kids would be +EV?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Xhad
12-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Hah! I know exactly what I'm using if I ever play on a site with avatars...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/Xhad/heartpuppy.jpg

321Mike
12-17-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel guilty raising all the time and winning their money. They usually do a minimum buy-in for a table and end up broke in 5 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be the opposite of this. Playing Party's .50/1 6-max tables I would frequently see someone sit down with an odd dollar amount that was a little smaller than was typical for the limit. Suspecting that this was their last few dollars on the site - and knowing they were about to lose it with their loose passive play - I would want to be the one who took their last dollar.

Eventually this urge wore off. I don't take anything at the poker table personally anymore. My opponents seem more like puzzles to solve than real people. I don't know if de-humanizing people on the other end of the internet connection is a good thing for me as a human being, but it sure is good for me as a poker player.

12-17-2005, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't take anything at the poker table personally anymore. My opponents seem more like puzzles to solve than real people. I don't know if de-humanizing people on the other end of the internet connection is a good thing for me as a human being, but it sure is good for me as a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point. I do this myself but never really thought about it before. In tournaments, I sometimes feel "guilty" for being too active and slow down, sometimes even backing off of marginal raise/call situations because i've been very active lately. Backing off in tournaments can be +EV when you need to maintain an optimum bluff/raise frequency, to avoid too much playback at you later on.

In cash games however... you need to stick to your optimal game, which includes pinpointing and exploiting emotionally weak competition.

It is sad to see someone caught up in the desperate fatalism of tilt, but Phil Gordon talks about this a little in his Green Book... if they are really a compulsive gambler and are THEMSELVES responsible for their loss (as opposed to only you being responsible through your fine play), then it doesn't matter who takes their money, you or the next guy... they're going to give it away today. Take what you can.

Phil says that after the game he will from time to time try to see if someone needs help, but he certainly waits until he is off the felt..

Mike Caro also talks about this somewhat, but my memory is a bit hazy on his exact reasoning for why you must be a ruthless cut-throat.

But suffice it to say you must be a ruthless cut-throat. Remind yourself of this when you feel your resolve faltering for sympathetic purposes.. KEEP ATTACKING.

I make sure I raise whenever I feel that slight pang of sympathy that says 'EASE OFF with this KQ and let the poor people see a flop'

Whenever that little man goes off in my head, I raise a little more for good measure.

12-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Play hard or don't play at all. That goes for everything, including life.

Subfallen
12-17-2005, 02:35 PM
this is silly...those people are there to try to take your money, the least you can do is put up a fight.

pokerjoker
12-17-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just always worry i'm playing against someone with a gambling problem

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem taking money from a Doctor that is playing with .001% of his net worth for fun.

a gambling addict that loses his money to me because he is tilting away his last $1000 makes me feel a bit guilty.

I wonder how many of the fish on partypoker are gambling addicts?

I guess the only way to reconsile this is that they would lose their money no matter what. the only thing you could do to prevent this would be outside of an internet pokerroom. (speaking at a Gamblers Annonymous meeting or something).

the only way to make playing poker a moral decision IMO is to say that you are going to do something better with the money than people who lose it to you. Otherwise its either amoral or immoral. (I beleive its amoral)

waffle
12-17-2005, 03:53 PM
they are trying to take your money. [censored] em. sure, if you're playing ping-pong against your girlfriend you might go easy on her. but you're playing poker over the internet with strangers who are trying to take your money. fight back. treat them with respect outside of the game, in the chat, etc. but in the context of betting decisions, be relentless when attacking perceived weaknesses.

AlanBostick
12-17-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok here's another question, because I don't want to open another topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Your other questions are much more directly relevant to other forums than this one.