PDA

View Full Version : Hyperaggression on the bubble in micro-stakes SnG's

imported_metrognome7
12-16-2005, 08:20 AM
We've all heard an old tournament strategy adage that goes something like this:

"When it gets down to just off the money, most players will tighten up and try to sneak into a payday. This is when good players should open up, stealing pots and paving the way to the final table."

In even the lowest-stakes MTTs I've followed this advice to great success, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth following in small-stakes ($5.50 and $11) Sit-n-Go's when you're not an overwhelmingly big stack. All too often, at the lowest levels, it seems like the small stack(s) shut down completely at the bubble. While, theoretically, everyone could just pass blinds around until the shorties are blinded off, this would also cripple the 2nd and 3rd stacks to the point that they'd have to push any face card once they reached cash. So let's say, as the 2nd or 3rd stack, you decide to push a little bit, trying to accumulate chips for use once the money has been assured - you raise a bit more liberally PF, someone min-reraises, you call for the pot odds, and BAM! Your two pair drop to his/her trips and you're on the cyber-rail broke.

What to do? I've busted out 4th more often than I can remember, and I'm getting quite sick of it....

smoore
12-16-2005, 11:36 AM
SnG bubbles are vastly different than MTT bubbles. Simply making it to the money in a SnG is of high strategic import. If short, just start accurately pushbotting and let the cards take care of it. If you happen to be the big stack you need to make second stack your beyatch. If you are the second stack pay attention to what the big stack is doing. If he/she isn't slapping you around go ahead and play normally... if he/she *is*, well, good luck /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Try to stay out of thier way and bust one of the two smaller stacks. (YMMV, I'm no SnG guru)

Continue to be agressive on the bubble in MTTs, because the initial prize money means nearly nothing compared to the money the extra chips can get you.

imported_metrognome7
12-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Question: in online play, where more often than not you're only allowed 30secs-1min to make a decision, how in god's name would you use this effectively?

AKQJ10
12-16-2005, 01:02 PM
I understood smoore's post to be about playing more or less aggressively. How do online time limits change your decisions in any way?

imported_metrognome7
12-16-2005, 03:15 PM
WHOOPS! That post was supposed to go in the other thread about ICM... sorry for the confusion.

/donks off another $5 in penance

smoore
12-17-2005, 08:27 PM
If time limits = fast blind structure, it just makes me pushbot quicker.

If time limits = not enough time to make a decision, it's just experience.

edit: oic... disregard.