PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin

12-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Musician gods or mediocre at best?

http://file.yashi.com/1/thumb/nothumb.jpg (http://www.yashi.com/?video&vid=174730)
Dazed and Confused Music Video

kyro
12-16-2005, 03:56 AM
This should be fun.

CheckRaise
12-16-2005, 03:57 AM
Are you serious?

kyro
12-16-2005, 04:00 AM
CheckRaise,

Yes, I am serious. This should be a blast.

Eagerly,
kyro

12-16-2005, 04:01 AM
who are musician gods. obvious answers for 600, alex.

12-16-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Just trying to kill a buzz and was listening to some Zeppelin so decided to look online for some vids and came across this one. Honestly I think its 2 words that best describe dazed and confused "instrumental genius".

kyro
12-16-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Just trying to kill a buzz and was listening to some Zeppelin so decided to look online for some vids and came across this one. Honestly I think its 2 words that best describe dazed and confused "instrumental genius".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're the only person in the world to ever come up with this thought.

twang
12-16-2005, 04:19 AM
Jimmy Hendrix is a much better guitar player than Led Zeppelin.

bernie
12-16-2005, 04:21 AM
I could go the rest of my life never hearing another Led song again and be happy. I am absolutely, SICK of hearing them. It's too the point that it's like hearing a test pattern now.

b

theweatherman
12-16-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be pretty tough for a whole band to play one guitar.

CheckRaise
12-16-2005, 04:28 AM
kyro,

my comment was aimed at the OP as I thought he was implying that Led Zeppelin was mediocre.

12-16-2005, 05:03 AM
gods bitch, gods

dibbs
12-16-2005, 05:06 AM
I admit I had a lot of anti-zep sentiment when I was younger. Im the type that ends up hating ending anything that is thoroughly hyped, and I grew up with the music in my house and would get so sick of it when kids would rep it in high school.

Eventually once I invested in it though and started throwing on some of my parents old vinyl, I became thoroughly obsessed. They have a knack and talent for music that is just rarely seen by most artists.

I still cant stand "Rock And Roll" and some of the other more popular songs though.

rusellmj
12-16-2005, 05:17 AM
OP thank you for the vid link, it was awsome.

I [censored] feel 20 years younger.

Gods.

In other news, I read today Jimmy Page was honored by the Queen for his charitable work involving the underprivileged children of Brazil.

Brock Landers
12-16-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He has a point. But there is no doubt that Jethro Tull guy plays the flute better than that hillbilly Lynard Skynard can sing.

johnnybeef
12-16-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement absolutely sucks. Music isn't a competition, it is an artform. Your statement is like saying Picasso was a better painter than Dali. In art there is no good, better, best....there are only peoples opinions.

edit: No matter how much I hear them, I never tire of Zepplin or Floyd.

ripdog
12-16-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I could go the rest of my life never hearing another Led song again and be happy. I am absolutely, SICK of hearing them. It's too the point that it's like hearing a test pattern now.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your attitude, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand. The only Zeppelin CD that I bother with now is III (and I skip The Immigrant Song). Several years ago I saw some footage of a young Robert Plant and was stunned at how talented he was. Boy did he ever lose it. III has always been my favorite Zep album, the rest got overplayed. Are they Gods? I think I have to vote yes.

RJT
12-16-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But, how do you think Jimi Hendrix compares to Jimmy Page?

RJT
12-16-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He has a point. But there is no doubt that Jethro Tull guy plays the flute better than that hillbilly Lynard Skynard can sing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Brock, didn't see that you beat me to it.

zephed
12-16-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

http://file.yashi.com/1/thumb/nothumb.jpg (http://www.yashi.com/?video&vid=174730)
Dazed and Confused Music Video

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm undecided.

BottlesOf
12-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Gods.

12-16-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i agree with that, but stevie ray vaughn is better than hendrix
big deal, hendrix was a better musician IMO
And zeppelin stands up to just about any band you put against them. It's really hard to compare bands that are at this level

imported_The Vibesman
12-16-2005, 11:27 AM
I used to love these guys as a teenager, like every teenager, but nowadays I get sick of them hitting me over the head with riffs on every song. I think a lot of their stuff is repetitive and overdone. That and the fact that you can't really listen to a Zep album without coming across something they completely ripped off from someone and don't give credit for. I'm not just talking about styles, I'm talking about entire verses and choruses, sometimes entire songs that go uncredited.

Jimmy Page has some nice riffs, but his playing is nowhere near the level of self-expression that a Jimi Hendrix or a Stevie Ray Vaughan exhibits.

I find a lot of their live performances rather self-indulgent.

Usually when I come across a Zep tune on the radio I'll listen for a while (unless it's Kashmir, which I think is one of the most boring popular songs ever), but I'll be flipping before the end of the song.

diebitter
12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Agree. I think they are [censored]. I even prefer the Rolf Harris version of Stairway to Heaven. I'm not kidding.

The Beatles so, so pwn them.

http://www.chezcomics.com/comics-resources-information-pages/marvel-comics-information-resources/marvel-comics-superhero-character-profiles/human%20torch.gif

MonkeeMan
12-16-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, not a lot of middle ground there.

"mediocre at best" is laughable. "Musician gods" is defined as what? If you say the Top 10 rock bands of all time are gods, then yes they are gods.

trotski
12-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Gods.

These guys were not only great, great musicians, they were the epitome of the rock and roll lifestyle.

kenberman
12-16-2005, 12:03 PM
they are probably underappreciated, in a similar way as Nirvana is probably underrated.

they went a long way in creating/defining/popularizing a genre of music, and they do have a lot of interesting music to listen to.

imported_The Vibesman
12-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Zeppelin and Nirvana are considered by the general public to be two of the greatest bands of all time. How in God's name can you say either band is underrated?

ChipWrecked
12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin and Nirvana are considered by the general public to be two of the greatest bands of all time. How in God's name can you say either band is underrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will guess that KB4Z was like ten years old at the height of Nirvana's popularity. Scary thought.

kenberman
12-16-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the general public considers their music to be awesome. however, the general public doesn't understand or appreciate how genre defining/important their music was.

Most people will tell you that Pearl Jam started the 'grunge music' movement, which is not true.

the whole explosion can be traced to the very first notes on Track 1 on Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit.

kenberman
12-16-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will guess that KB4Z was like ten years old at the height of Nirvana's popularity. Scary thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

16 when it was released. close though /images/graemlins/wink.gif

imported_The Vibesman
12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the general public considers their music to be awesome. however, the general public doesn't understand or appreciate how genre defining/important their music was.

Most people will tell you that Pearl Jam started the 'grunge music' movement, which is not true.

the whole explosion can be traced to the very first notes on Track 1 on Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, most people I talk to would say that Nirvana started the whole grunge movement, and some would mention Motherlovebone.

Whatever, though. Let's you and I agree to agree.

twang
12-16-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement absolutely sucks. Music isn't a competition, it is an artform. Your statement is like saying Picasso was a better painter than Dali. In art there is no good, better, best....there are only peoples opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weakling!

http://kytary.muzikant.cz/person/angelo_michael/angelo5.jpg

zephed
12-16-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Jimmy Page has some nice riffs, but his playing is nowhere near the level of self-expression that a Jimi Hendrix or a Stevie Ray Vaughan exhibits.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find these two statements to be contradictory. You think Zep's live performances were self-indulgent but SRV's not? IMO, SRV is the epitome of the self-indulgent blues rock guitarist. Yes he was a really great guitarist and plays expressive solos, but his songwriting ability doesn't compare to Page's.

[ QUOTE ]
I used to love these guys as a teenager, like every teenager, but nowadays I get sick of them hitting me over the head with riffs on every song. I think a lot of their stuff is repetitive and overdone.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't like a repeated melodic figure in your songs? What specifically is repetitive and overdone?

[ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that you can't really listen to a Zep album without coming across something they completely ripped off from someone and don't give credit for. I'm not just talking about styles, I'm talking about entire verses and choruses, sometimes entire songs that go uncredited.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is undoubtedly true and unfortunate with respect to the lyrics. Robert Plant did not do his job on many songs in the early years. However, Jimmy Page definitely didn't just cop old blues songs, they were his own.

Also, ripping off blues songs is not something that is unique to Zep. Robert Johnson himself stole entire blues songs from his predecessors.

[ QUOTE ]

Usually when I come across a Zep tune on the radio I'll listen for a while (unless it's Kashmir, which I think is one of the most boring popular songs ever), but I'll be flipping before the end of the song.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's just not your cup of tea. It is an excellent song.

MonkeeMan
12-16-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
however, the general public doesn't understand or appreciate how genre defining/important their music was.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll bite. I like their music, but don't consider it "genre defining" or "important". But maybe that's because I was rocking before Led was born.

bernie
12-16-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole grunge explosion? ummm. no.

The buzz about 'grunge' was not started by Nirvana. The sparks started just a bit before Nirvana.(motherlovebone/AIC/Soundgarden come to mind) Not to mention, that album sat on the racks of stores for about a year before it finally took off. They were the nail in the coffin for 80s rock. But they weren't the wood that laid the foundation.

Not to mention saying Led Zep is underappreciated is absolute crap. Everyone's been forcefed their stuff in mass amounts for about 30 years now. Including how important, genre defining their music was.

b

zephed
12-16-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Anyone else disagree.

kenberman
12-16-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole grunge explosion? ummm. no.

The buzz about 'grunge' was not started by Nirvana. The sparks started just a bit before Nirvana.(motherlovebone/AIC/Soundgarden come to mind) Not to mention, that album sat on the racks of stores for about a year before it finally took off. They were the nail in the coffin for 80s rock. But they weren't the wood that laid the foundation.

[/ QUOTE ]

good points

MonkeeMan
12-16-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now when you're talkin' about Hendrix we can finally work the term "Musician god" into the conversation. SRV was great, but he worshipped at the alter of Hendrix.

zephed
12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now when you're talkin' about Hendrix we can finally work the term "Musician god" into the conversation. SRV was great, but he worshipped at the alter of Hendrix.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Jimi Hendrix is pretty solidly the number one guitar player, ever.

Sure there are plenty of guitarists who have greater technical ability, but I don't think SRV is one of them.

Big Bend
12-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Nice old vintage Zep on that video thanks! Don't often see Page playing a telecaster, he was Les Paul guy most of the way. Agreed Hendrix #1.. but Page way up there too.

imported_The Vibesman
12-16-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I find these two statements to be contradictory. You think Zep's live performances were self-indulgent but SRV's not? IMO, SRV is the epitome of the self-indulgent blues rock guitarist. Yes he was a really great guitarist and plays expressive solos, but his songwriting ability doesn't compare to Page's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the bit about SRV being a great guitarist who plays expressive solos, I disagree with everything here. I think a song is more than just a good riff. Page never wrote anything on a level with "Lenny," "Riviera Paradise," or "Couldn't Stand The Weather," or "Life Without You." This is naturally a matter of personal preference, probably.

I guess his performance of "Third Stone From The Sun" could be considered self-indulgent, but apart from that I never felt he was playing a solo just to play something, I thought he was reaching into the song to pull everything he could out of it and himself in the songs' context. Of course, he never made terrible noises with his guitar using a violin bow. Maybe that's what he's missing.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to love these guys as a teenager, like every teenager, but nowadays I get sick of them hitting me over the head with riffs on every song. I think a lot of their stuff is repetitive and overdone.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't like a repeated melodic figure in your songs? What specifically is repetitive and overdone?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Kashmir, for one? How many times are we going to repeat the same two frikken riffs? I don't understand how anyone can listen to this for more than one verse.

I really don't mind hooks and riffs; I just find Zeppelin's to be mostly blunt, annoying and ineffective.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that you can't really listen to a Zep album without coming across something they completely ripped off from someone and don't give credit for. I'm not just talking about styles, I'm talking about entire verses and choruses, sometimes entire songs that go uncredited.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is undoubtedly true and unfortunate with respect to the lyrics. Robert Plant did not do his job on many songs in the early years. However, Jimmy Page definitely didn't just cop old blues songs, they were his own.

Also, ripping off blues songs is not something that is unique to Zep. Robert Johnson himself stole entire blues songs from his predecessors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this, but I find the plagiarism a lot more offensive when the band doing it is on such a higher level of commercial success than the people they are ripping off. Back in Johnson's day, blues musicians borrowed from each other constantly, but they were all pretty much on the same level. Plus, I just never hear from anyone that they think, say, "They're Red Hot" originated with Johnson, but I know tons of people who think that "Whole Lotta Love" or "Nobody's Fault But Mine" are original songs. Perhaps this is some sort of hypocrisy, I don't know.
I also don't think that playing a few more power chords in the turnaround and playing a bit faster/louder means Page "made old blues songs his own." The guy wrote riffs, not songs.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is, it is the most boring excellent song ever. Sounds to me like the same two uninteresting motifs over and over again with some trippy-dippy mystical lyrics that don't really mean anything. (I hardly ever make it to the bridge - the "I'm on my way" bit) Again, I'm well aware that this is just my opinion. That's what OP was asking for.

Again, I didn't always feel like this. In high school their banners and posters covered my walls, I had every record and some box sets, and listened to these guys constantly. The last time I was in the old Boston Garden before it was torn down was to see Page and Plant (with Rusted Root opening). It's probably just in the last 3-5 years or so that I've started to feel like this.

Always hated Kashmir though. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

kenberman
12-16-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The last time I was in the old Boston Garden

[/ QUOTE ]

man I miss that place

12-16-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I admit I had a lot of anti-zep sentiment when I was younger. Im the type that ends up hating ending anything that is thoroughly hyped, and I grew up with the music in my house and would get so sick of it when kids would rep it in high school.

Eventually once I invested in it though and started throwing on some of my parents old vinyl, I became thoroughly obsessed. They have a knack and talent for music that is just rarely seen by most artists.

I still cant stand "Rock And Roll" and some of the other more popular songs though.

[/ QUOTE ]

About the same for me. I didn't like them when I was in my late teens/early twenties. But the older I get, the more I contemplate buying their box set.

12-16-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you there, but Steve Vai blows them all away. (surprised no one really commented on Vai and we are speaking of guitar skill in this comment)

either way question @ hand was for Zepellin, but I like the other bands getting in the mix like Nirvana was a noticable one.

rusellmj
12-16-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(surprised no one really commented on Vai and we are speaking of guitar skill in this comment)

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one memorable thing he's done the masses can point to.

12-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Was Steve Vai the guy that played the Crossroads thing?

If so, that.

If not, nothing.

imported_The Vibesman
12-16-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(surprised no one really commented on Vai and we are speaking of guitar skill in this comment)

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one memorable thing he's done the masses can point to.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not that good. He couldn't beat Ralph Macchio in a guitar duel, and this is with Vai being taught by the devil, and Mr Miyagi nowhere in sight.

12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Gods among boys.

Everyone else is an imposter.

Thread over.

12-16-2005, 04:59 PM
In my experience it seems like Brits prefer LZ far less than Americans. In fact, Zeppelin reached fame status in America if I remember correctly.

12-16-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Heck, Neil Diamond PWNS Nirvana 10 times over.

12-16-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's everyone's favorite Hendrix acoustic song?

lol.

12-16-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How about Kashmir, for one? How many times are we going to repeat the same two frikken riffs? I don't understand how anyone can listen to this for more than one verse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kashmir is about subtlety. It's about the faint sound of those horns that you can hear later in the song. And Plant's 14-second "BeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAA AHAAAAH...." (been).

The da-na-na, da-na-na... and the DA-da, DA-da, DA-DA, DAAA-da, DA-daaa, da-na-na are just distractions for people who aren't musical enough to appreciate subtlety. I'm not implying this is you.

Also, it helps to imagine you are driving through Kashmir when listening to the song. Yeah, there was actually a concept behind that song. Imagine that. Page got the idea while riding down a long and monotonous road in Kashmir, and wanted a song to match.

It was born out of something else. It isn't just a riffathon jackfest.

imported_The Vibesman
12-16-2005, 05:31 PM
"BeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAA AHAAAAH...."

That's real subtle.

As for the horns later in the song, I wouldn't know; it's very rare I can make it to "later in the song."

I consider Zep a lot of things; subtle isn't one of them.

But hey, I get laughed at a lot for telling people they don't appreciate the subtlety of John Mellencamp, so take it for what it's worth.

I used to really like Zep. Maybe in ten years I'll like them again.

12-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Of course Zep was subtle. There are tons of nuances in their music that aren't appreciated by the average listener.

tons. I could point to something in every one of their songs that is subtle, and additionally, is not heard in modern rock music.

Respectfully,
phb

imported_The Vibesman
12-16-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could point to something in every one of their songs that is subtle, and additionally, is not heard in modern rock music.

Respectfully,
phb

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, I doubt that.

But, to each his own. I'm out, yo.

zephed
12-16-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the bit about SRV being a great guitarist who plays expressive solos, I disagree with everything here. I think a song is more than just a good riff. Page never wrote anything on a level with "Lenny," "Riviera Paradise," or "Couldn't Stand The Weather," or "Life Without You." This is naturally a matter of personal preference, probably.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think Page "just wrote riffs, not songs", there really is no point in continuing this argument because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Those songs you mention are just blues jams. Really doesn't take a lot of songwriting ability to play lead over the progression. However, he does play amazing lead.

For the fun of firing right back at ya, I'll submit:
In the Light-omg it's a riff, but it isn't just a riff for riff's sake. There's two riffs in the song, one has a downward winding movement to it, the other moves upward. Great use of contrast, you can really tell that Jimmy Page had a vision for the song.

The Song Remains The Same-Great intro. He uses a sliding d chord figure that progressively builds up more dissonance, and then lets it all out on a release chord (back to d IIRC). His main riff/chord prog. gives the song movement & he uses a breakdown section to give the song contrast between the light/heavy. This is what I consider songwriting, not soloing over a chord progression.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this, but I find the plagiarism a lot more offensive when the band doing it is on such a higher level of commercial success than the people they are ripping off.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand where you're coming from here. Robert certainly could have done better to merely imitate and not flat out rip off old blues lyrics. Jimmy Page, being in charge in the studio, and aware of his blues roots should have given proper credit.

[ QUOTE ]

I also don't think that playing a few more power chords in the turnaround and playing a bit faster/louder means Page "made old blues songs his own." The guy wrote riffs, not songs.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is simply ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is, it is the most boring excellent song ever. Sounds to me like the same two uninteresting motifs over and over again with some trippy-dippy mystical lyrics that don't really mean anything. (I hardly ever make it to the bridge - the "I'm on my way" bit) Again, I'm well aware that this is just my opinion. That's what OP was asking for.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK.

12-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Led Zeppelin is not "my own", sir. They are everyone's, but yours apparently.

- phb

zephed
12-16-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my experience it seems like Brits prefer LZ far less than Americans. In fact, Zeppelin reached fame status in America if I remember correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]
They did a fuckton of tours in the early days. I also think that American FM radio had something to do with it. I'm not sure, but I think radio was gov't controlled in UK.

bernie
12-16-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Heck, Neil Diamond PWNS Nirvana 10 times over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever that means...

b

lighterjobs
12-16-2005, 06:48 PM
i don't care about the politics over this, just thanks for the video. awesome.

zephed
12-16-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could point to something in every one of their songs that is subtle, and additionally, is not heard in modern rock music.

Respectfully,
phb

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, I doubt that.

But, to each his own. I'm out, yo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Vibes, I'm obviously not going to sway you into liking Kashmir.

I think the very things you hate about Kashmir, is what Page was trying to create with this song. Yes, it is repetitive, but that was obviously Page's intention. It goes perfectly with his use of open drone strings and climbing/descending riffs giving the song a "grand" and epic sound.

zephed
12-16-2005, 06:50 PM
It's on the recent DVD Zep put out a couple of years ago. There's like 3 other songs from that early show.

12-17-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't care about the politics over this, just thanks for the video. awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, I enjoyed it a few times over last night and knew it would be a good idea to share. The arguments of who is better then who and what person stole from someone and how its full of guitar riffs is an insult to the question at hand. "Musicican gods or mediocre at best?"

Meh, either way OOT you guys have been great. Have a good night.

Harv72b
12-17-2005, 05:00 AM
I used to love Led Zeppelin. 'Til I was 17, popped Kashmir into my buddy's cd player on single track repeat in the basement, dropped acid, and went upstairs to the living room. However many times that song plays in 8 hours, that's how many straight times we listened to it.

I'm not a big Zep fan anymore.