PDA

View Full Version : Stars 10re/ Push to isolate button + dead money

Rickyroodido
12-16-2005, 03:12 AM
The button is "TheBoss", and I figured he needed chips so I thought my A8s was good. I was fairly certain that the tight SB had me beat though, but since he didnt isolate I figured he would fold to a push leaving 28k dead.
Horrible or brilliant?!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

Button (t28353)
SB (t70351)
Hero (t90150)
UTG (t33608)
UTG+1 (t38496)
MP1 (t134863)
MP2 (t115767)
MP3 (t20591)
CO (t48528)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t28153</font>, SB calls t26153, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t89950</font>

12-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Why do you figure the small blind won't call? He's put almost half of his chips in the pot.

12-16-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you figure the small blind won't call? He's put almost half of his chips in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the smooth call shows a good hand but not a hand he's willing to put the other 50k into the pot.

12-16-2005, 09:30 AM
I think the smooth call may actually make it more likely that he has a monster. If I had a hand that I didn't want to risk all his chips with (but didn't mind gambling for the 28,000) with one person to act after me I would push to make the big blind find a monster to call with.
On the other hand, if I looked down and found Aces or Kings and the button pushed in front, I would smooth call and pray that the big blind did what you did. Just some food for thought.
By the way, why do you think he will fold when it will cost him 42 K or so to play a pot with 126 K in the middle? You're giving him three to one and you only have A8.

12-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Well, the reason being is that 2000/4000 is the 13th stage, and from my guess from the structure is that its starting to get deep, and into the money. With that thought process in mind, i'd be willing to guess that this is where the tournament life part starts playing a roll. If i had Aces or kings, i'd definately isolate, just because of the fact that i don't want anyone else to steal a fat pot from me, that deep into a tournament. To me, the smooth call is just an insurance scheme to be able to fold and keep playing. But then i again, i'm probably crazy.

12-16-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the smooth call shows a good hand but not a hand he's willing to put the other 50k into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's crazy. he already has put in roughly 28k and has the proper odds to put in his other 42k (not 50k).

12-16-2005, 01:22 PM
You're right, at this stage the "tournament life" plays a role - by that I assume you mean shallow stacks and a chance to make real money. That's exactly why you smooth call the big pair and pray you get the big blind to play along. You're unlikely to get another chance to get this much of an advantage for this many chips again. The only "insurance" you get from a smooth call w/ the intent to fold to a push is a guaranteed meager payday ;-(

mrbaseball
12-16-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Say he has AA. He calls and hopes someone else comes along for the ride. Big raises mean you want a fold. Calls can mean either you want in for cheap (not the case here) or you don't want to or need to isolate.

Rickyroodido
12-16-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're right, at this stage the "tournament life" plays a role - by that I assume you mean shallow stacks and a chance to make real money. That's exactly why you smooth call the big pair and pray you get the big blind to play along. You're unlikely to get another chance to get this much of an advantage for this many chips again. The only "insurance" you get from a smooth call w/ the intent to fold to a push is a guaranteed meager payday ;-(

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was his mistake. My gut told me to push this.
Very boarderline, I know... but he folded TT and was mad as hell when he saw my hand /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rickyroodido
12-16-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the smooth call may actually make it more likely that he has a monster. If I had a hand that I didn't want to risk all his chips with (but didn't mind gambling for the 28,000) with one person to act after me I would push to make the big blind find a monster to call with.
On the other hand, if I looked down and found Aces or Kings and the button pushed in front, I would smooth call and pray that the big blind did what you did. Just some food for thought.
By the way, why do you think he will fold when it will cost him 42 K or so to play a pot with 126 K in the middle? You're giving him three to one and you only have A8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he will make a mistake /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Glad it worked out for you - there's nothing more satisfying than out-donking someone ;-) I know, I did that last night in a similar situation as yours when I pushed my TT into what I suspected was a trap but did anyway in the "hopes" that he had a big A and not a big pair ("hope" is synonymous w/ "leak"). He turned over KK but I flopped quads - and to quote Matusow: "I'm a superstar".

Rickyroodido
12-16-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad it worked out for you - there's nothing more satisfying than out-donking someone ;-) I know, I did that last night in a similar situation as yours when I pushed my TT into what I suspected was a trap but did anyway in the "hopes" that he had a big A and not a big pair ("hope" is synonymous w/ "leak"). He turned over KK but I flopped quads - and to quote Matusow: "I'm a superstar".

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know im trying to induce a huge laydown, but sometimes you kind of sence the scaredness and I think bloodthirst is more inportent then.
However afterwards I was kind of chocked that he had TT and almost regreted the play. How t f can you manage to fold TT?!
No logic here, so your right.