PDA

View Full Version : Tournament-question

Ding
07-20-2003, 03:30 PM
In my first Multi-table NL tournament, I was up against 723 players at Partypoker. 30 $ buy-in.

There was 56 players left, when this happened: I had 8600 in chips. Average stack is about 13k. Blinds 500-1000. I recieved JJ in BB. UTG (28k in chips) raises 1k. Folding to SB (14k in chips), who makes it 4k to go.

50 places are payed, but that did not matter to me. My goal was the final-table.

What do you people think is the right move here? Results will follow.

fnurt
07-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Assuming you have no information about either player, I think this is a big fold.

slamdunkpro
07-20-2003, 08:16 PM
I've never liked pocket Jacks against a big raise! This pluse bad pot odds = FOLD

Justaloser
07-20-2003, 08:43 PM
I agree with the other posters.
If you're wanting to get in the money, it's a fold.

If you want the final table, it's an easy fold.

That is unless you have GOOD reason to suspect them both of bluffing. Even then, you're best hope is a J on the flop.

Ding
07-21-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks! I called the raises, SB went all-in with T-x-x on flop. I called and got busted! Utg: AA SB: KK . Sucker play!:(

Rickfish
07-21-2003, 08:59 AM
UTG's minimum raise is suspicious unless he always makes minimum raise. So you would be cautious and just call if everyone else folded. You would be hoping to flop a J.

But then SB reraises advertising a big pair. If you weren't losing to UTG you are now definitely losing to SB. Unless you knew something about these players that we don't?

Ding
07-21-2003, 12:06 PM
UTG raise could mean two things the way I looked at it. He could either have KK/AA (he wanted action) or he had just a high connector(blindstealing-fold if reraise). The game was extremely thight the last couple of hands, the blinds folded to raises. When SB gets involved it should be a obvious fold for me. Guess I hoped he wanted HU with medium pair.

Anyway, I have just played fixed-cash games as long as I have played poker ( 1 year). This was just practice with low buy-in, and I think I`ve learned something here. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-21-2003, 12:59 PM
To me the JJ problem is simple. S&M say that in a ring game, if you hold JJ and it's raised and reraised to you, it's a fold almost 100% of the time. In my mind, the only thing that would change this in a tournament would be if the original raiser was all-in UTG for not much more than the blinds and the reraise came from a LP player who you could legitimately think was reraising with a weak hand just to get it heads-up with the raiser. Short of that, this is an almost automatic fold.