PDA

View Full Version : Questions to beginners...

1800GAMBLER
07-20-2003, 03:26 PM
These are questions which should help experienced players understand the thinking behind the players of the beginners and the way they play.

Hopefully some people can add questions and answers to it.

These are aimed for people who feel they have a small knowledge of poker, haven't read TOP or a theory book and are pretty new to the game.

1. When you play any 2 suited cards what do you do if you hit top pair and someone bets into you? Are you calling to the river? Are you calling 2 bets?

2. Ever chase backdoor flushes?

3. Ever fold inside straight draws (draw needed one card)?

4. Which hands do you take position into action?

5. How long do you hold onto pocket pairs when a board of 2 overcards hit with betting?

6. Any type of boards you like to bluff at?

7. Which hands do you always raise preflop with? Forget AA KK QQ JJ AK AQ.

That's a pretty short list of questions compared to what i thought i had. The reason of this post isn't to flame or education the answers - unless you want it - but to help the experienced.

Thanks.

1800GAMBLER
07-20-2003, 08:57 PM
this article helps too if anyone missed it. (http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=132)

Howard Burroughs
07-21-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm not a beginner, but I play like one.

"1. When you play any 2 suited cards what do you do if you hit top pair and someone bets into you? Are you calling to the river? Are you calling 2 bets?"

I don't play any two suited but if I did,
I might 3-bet the better and then go from there.

"2. Ever chase backdoor flushes?"

When I'm getting over 30 to 1, it's my bread & butter play.

"3. Ever fold inside straight draws (draw needed one card)?"

Often but not always. How much is in the pot?

"4. Which hands do you take position into action?"

Not sure I understand the question. I'm sure it's my fault though. I still don't know which one is Siegfried and which one is Roy.

"5. How long do you hold onto pocket pairs when a board of 2 overcards hit with betting?"

About as long as I hold onto money in a topless bar.

"6. Any type of boards you like to bluff at?"

Ones without an ace are fair game for starters. Screw the board types. Just get me heads up with the "weak-tight man" and I'll take my chances betting.

"7. Which hands do you always raise preflop with? Forget AA KK QQ JJ AK AQ."

I don't always raise preflop with any hand, including the ones you put on your "forget" list (AA,KK, etc.).

I don't think I passed your test. Time to hit my 2+2 books.

Best of Luck

Howard

Stingray
07-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Hi i just started playing at empire poker yesterday..50/1$.i have read a bit of Lee jones LLHe and a bit of Slanskys THe.Here are my answers

I. When you play any 2 suited cards what do you do if you hit top pair and someone bets into you? Are you calling to the river? Are you calling 2 bets?

Well i wouldnt play just any 2 suited,but if i did hit top pair and bet and then someones raises,it would depend on the kicker.If the kicker is weak i would probably fold.If there is a 2 of my suit on the flop i would raise for value if i think others will come along,if i think they will fold i would just call.

2. Ever chase backdoor flushes?
If it was ace high.Depends on the pot odds.

3. Ever fold inside straight draws (draw needed one card)?
Most of the time unless the pot is quite large and doesnt cost much to enter.

4. Which hands do you take position into action?
Well in LP you can raise preflop with hands you wouldny even call with in EP,can call preflop with lower connected suiters aswell.If i have a flush/straight draw on the flop and in LP i would raise to get the free card on the turn

5. How long do you hold onto pocket pairs when a board of 2 overcards hit with betting?
Not long would probably fold,depends on what type of player is betting,but mostly would fold.

6. Any type of boards you like to bluff at?
If i have reaised preflop with something like AQs and a load of crap comes on the flop ie 8 5 2 rainbow.and if it is checked around i would bet.although is that really a pure bluff.

7. Which hands do you always raise preflop with? Forget AA KK QQ JJ AK AQ.
In middle position.Aks-A10s.10-10.9-9.8-8.KQs.in Late position slightly lower hands.