PDA

View Full Version : Add-on question

naphinfitos
12-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Ongoing debate between me and a couple of friends.

When is it correct to not take the addon? The specific sitaution was in a $3+R qualifier for the Sunday $215 on pokerstars. I forgot to rebuy before the tourney started, and tripled up first hand. By the end of the break I had a stack of 13,000 which was double average stack. I elected not to take the addon, because I had only invested $3 thus far and didn't think it was worth doubling my investment to gain only 2000 chips. My friends claim that the rebuys are a sunk cost, and that I was wrong to weigh the fact that I had only invested $3, and that I should've rebought. Basically their arguement claims that if I had spent $30 to get a stack of 13,000 or just $3, I should rebuy either way.

What is the correct strategy for rebuys, and is the amount I spend to build my stack a sunk cost?

Melchiades
12-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Sunk Cost (definition)
A cost that has been incurred and cannot be reversed.

12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sunk Cost (definition)

[/ QUOTE ]

does this mean im right?

12-15-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sunk Cost (definition)

[/ QUOTE ]

i.e. All costs you have incurred in your life.
Your welcome.
ZZzz

P.S. There really isn't a need for this thread to continue.

naphinfitos
12-15-2005, 11:22 PM
we both already knew the textbook definition of a sunk cost. what im interested in is since you have an EV of being in the tourney, does that change whether or not its a sunk cost. so NO

Lloyd
12-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Read the FAQ stickied at the top of the MTT home page.

12-15-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read the FAQ stickied at the top of the MTT home page.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. It didn't answer my question specifically. It just says you should almost always add on.

yvesaint
12-15-2005, 11:35 PM
raymer did calculations before, you should basically always add-on unless your stack is above what the average would be when you are ITM

Lloyd
12-15-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Taking the add-on however is all but compulsory, the only real time you shouldn’t be taking it is when you have very few chips at the end of the rebuy period and have given up on cashing in the tournament. In other words, passing on the add-on is tantamount to giving up on the tournament completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is a fairly complete answer. Not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to point to the FAQ whenever possible.

12-15-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Taking the add-on however is all but compulsory, the only real time you shouldn’t be taking it is when you have very few chips at the end of the rebuy period and have given up on cashing in the tournament. In other words, passing on the add-on is tantamount to giving up on the tournament completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is a fairly complete answer. Not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to point to the FAQ whenever possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea bro, I read the FAQ, and want to know what this is BASED on. Stack size, or money invested, or both?

Lloyd
12-15-2005, 11:54 PM
I have no clue what you're asking in terms of stack size and money invested. If you're playing after the add-on period, add-on. Period. This has been reviewed many times before and it would take an incredibly HUGE stack to make the add-on not worth it. And when I say HUGE I mean there's really no way you'll have a stack so big that you shouldn't add-on.

12-16-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no clue what you're asking in terms of stack size and money invested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, at this point, i get you are saying that adding on is pos EV. I get that.

But, my initial question is if it has anything to do with money invested. Does it have anything to do with whether you should add on or not??

Moddy, please just dont tell me that adding on is pos EV in almost all situations. I think i get that---no wait! I definitely get that.

ZZzzZZzz

Melchiades
12-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Money invested has nothing at all to do with wether you should add on or not.

yvesaint
12-16-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Money invested has nothing at all to do with wether you should add on or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lloyd
12-16-2005, 12:07 AM
It has nothing to do with how much money you've already "invested". It's all about the value that the additional chips bring to you. You're focusing more on ROI in that specific tourney when your goal should be maximizing value (make as much money as possible in real $s, not %s). By doing so, your long-term ROI (which is a key figure) will not be maximized.

usmfan
12-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Deleted search reference as I am too slow to see that OP was referencing a sat.

12-16-2005, 12:18 AM
But in a sat. situation, your maximization of $ doesnt matter. All that matters is if you make the seat or not.

This is different than a standard rebuy tournament due to the flat pay out.

I think this is what he is slowly getting at.

My answer then to the original post is if you think you can sit-out to a seat without playing another hand, don't add on. Otherwise, insta-add-on.

Lloyd
12-16-2005, 12:27 AM
I understand. Principle stays the same. You still have to be an unusually monstrous stack to not take the add-on. And you're still trying to maximize $ won. If not taking the add-on hurts your chances of getting the seat (which it does) the focus is more on ROI then $.