PDA

View Full Version : OT – Partypokers push for profit, what next

12-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi all,
Ok this is not just an SnG issue but it affects us as much as any Party player.

I’ve been thinking about what has been happening with Party lately and it makes me wonder what will they do next?

These are my views (correct or not) on the changes so far:
First the party holding company floated on the UK stock exchange with very high predictions for future growth and profit. The market generally agreed with these estimates and so the maximum floatation price was gained. Since the float even the earliest profit estimates have not been met.

Next came the breaking up of the skins. As Party was the driving force in the network I guess they felt whatever the deal was with the skins they would make more money by going it alone. This upset lots of players as it seems we could no longer get RB and play in the party “fish tank”. So that makes me wonder why Party won’t allow RB, as it comes out of an affiliates income what does it matter to party? I could only think that as RB affiliates will have much higher volume they will qualify for higher commission percentages, is it better for party to have lots of smaller affiliates earning 25% each rather than less but bigger affiliates earning 30% each? Anyone?
So on the whole the split was seen as a negative for players.

Around the same time we got the VIP, again I guess to keep players who couldn’t get RB happy and to encourage us to play more hands/buy-ins, still not sure about this myself. Are people getting what they were promised and are you happy with it?
Positive/Negative?

Then we got the Sidebets and BJ icons clogging up our screens and sucking money out of potential fish. Obviously good for party to have two new revenue streams with a consistent 5% house edge, but an annoyance for many players.
I think a negative for players, even if only for the annoyance and temptation factors.

After this we have the beta version. Most players welcome this change as we can all multitable, to some degree without investing in extra monitors.
So a positive for us but also a positive for party, more tables per player equals more rake for party.

It’s not that party are not making money (or even increasing they profit) but they are not performing as well as they hoped by the markets. At the end of the day party exists solely to make money for the owners/investors and there is nothing wrong with that.
Also if we can still make profits ourselves it’s not too much to worry about. But what do you think they might have in store for us next? What if the poker bubble bursts? How will they try to extract greater margins? $33s becoming £33.5s or £34’s, who knows?

Anyone have any views on all this, or have I just had too much to drink?

Cheers
Purp