PDA

View Full Version : Will I notice a difference (poker wise) going from cable to DSL?

TwoNiner
12-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Sorry for the newb question, but I just learned that the nice luxury apartments I am moving into only lets me use SBC DSL. I've only used Roadrunner cable before, and was wondering if I will notice any difference in playing/Pokertracker etc. Thanks

Meech
12-15-2005, 07:55 PM
You shouldn't. Generally DSL is less bandwidth than cable but that only affects downloads. It is still digital.

Only "lets" you use? Whats up with that?

YTV
12-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Some DSL companies offer speeds comparable to cable also. I played on Verizon 768/128 line for a few months with no problems, besides the fact if my computer was inactive for hours, I would have to restart it to re-establish the internet connection, where as with cable Ive never had to do that.

wonderwes
12-15-2005, 08:28 PM
You can always do a speed test on your web browser.

dsl speed test (http://www.dslreports.com/stest)

DSL is obvious a tier slower than cable, but in the general sense, its just as good as cable. Plus you will probably save $20 a month, just by having DSL if you got a good contract. Overall, you should hardly notice any difference on your DSL line.

TwoNiner
12-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah, they only have services provided by Southwestern Bell Comm.. So I get DSL instead of cable and Dish instead of Time Warner. I can go down to the clubhouse and schedule a freaking massage and then use the tanning bed, yet I can't get roadrunner internet. The other crap SBC lady was telling me was that the complex has a large dish which we would get our programming through and that we wouldn't have HD or DVR!! WTF?? I have a south facing balcony, so somehow I should be able to get my own dish on there hopefully. Anyways, it's good to here at least the internet won't be a problem. Thanks